IFish Fishing Forum banner

fresh smelt for sturgeon fishing?

4K views 21 replies 16 participants last post by  Deanrt 
#1 ·
do any of you guys that sturgeon fish know where to get fresh smelt? Or, do you just get frozen stuff? And if you do get fresh smelt how long is it good for in the fridge?

thanks for any info

Also sturgeon report from today: It was very slow for us we fished from I405 bridge all the way past the toyota hole. Didn't really see that many fish caught either.

#2 ·
I've used smelt that have traveled to the watering-hole and back home numerous times to be refrozen with success. Not sure if it's the politically-correct thing to do, but if it makes me a re-baiter, then that's what I am!

I was out yesterday and saw nothing on the Willamette just below CP caught. Moved about every 15 minutes and could not find a single shaker. But who cares - no wind and that sun - a day on the water beats work ANY TIME!

#8 ·
:shrug:

See thats were I get confused. I went to winco awhile back the tag on the smelt says ocean smelt. Yet the box they get it out says Alaskan Smelt. Ive bought it and hooked fish. Now ive heard that "Surf Smelt" dont work and they are garabage.

I thought Ocean Smelt was Surf Smelt???

#12 ·
If it still looks like the smelt are in by this weekend, you can come up and I'll let you share my net.
I was just chatting on Yahoo with a local gal from Lexington a little while ago and she told me the smelt were in. :laugh:
As if I didn't know. :smirk:
She told me her husband and his friends have been going out every night and getting some. :eek:
Not too tuff to fine an outlaw around these parts.
First one I ever found on Yahoo messenger though.

#13 ·
I was at Carnival market yesterday watching the birds hammer the smelt and noticed a smelt pole, hoop and net laying in the water. Me thinks some test-dippers beat a hasty retreat during the dark of night.
Now I have another smelt pole in my garage to gather dust for another decade.
Might be able to sell it in the a.m. though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.