IFish Fishing Forum banner

Life Vest Question

1K views 14 replies 14 participants last post by  fyshndad 
#1 ·
Is it safe to wear a rain coat over a lifejacket for a child? Or should the lifejacket allways be on the outside of all clothing.

#2 · (Edited)
That`s a good question. I don`t know the answer for sure but I would think that over the rain clothing would be better as it would keep the clothing from floating over their faces and interfering with their breathing.

I could be wrong, it happens from time to time but the main thing is that they are wearing a life vest.

I always wear mine while running but take it off while trolling. In the drift boat I always have mine on, helps to keep me warm too.

#4 ·
Is it safe to wear a rain coat over a lifejacket for a child? Or should the lifejacket allways be on the outside of all clothing.
A life jacket worn on the outside of a rain coat or parka might keep those pesky Coast Guard and County Sheriffs from having to investigate what you are up to.

But wear one.

:whistle:

#5 ·
I always try to put mine over the top of whatever I have on, but just having one on is the most important part.

I'm surprised that pfd questions don't come up more often on this board. To me its the most important piece of gear in a boat of any type. It never ceases to amaze me how many people I see boating without them on.

On a Rogue canyon trip last year I saw a commercial group (who shall remain nameless) where all the customers had to wear pfd's, but out of the four boats the company was running not one guide had one on, amazing:shrug:

I would also like to know how many of you actually wear one while boating?

Mike

#11 ·
I would also like to know how many of you actually wear one while boating?

Mike
I wear my life jacket when I'm running, not while I'm fishing, unless I'm on a fast river or fishing alone. I fish mostly lakes and the conditions are pretty tame, but I do like to wear one while I'm running. I've seen guys get ejected out of their boats while running when a steering cable snapped and the motor turned sideways in a split second.

#6 ·
Inflateables should be worn on the outside. I (volunteer)work through state parks and DFW Aquatic Education. The rules are to provide floatation.

Is this enough???
Situation no win... IMHO

#7 ·
PFD's are the last thing on, weather standard or inflatable.
I would hope in the case of inflatable that would be a "no brainer".
Standard PFD's worn on the outside give a rescuer a good point to pull your sorry backside back into the boat.
Besides, it'd take a heck of a big coat to put the PFD underneath.

#8 ·
Good question. I think PFD goes outside. Most important is to have it on real snug and for the kids under 90lb use a high quality one with a crotch strap to prevent it from riding up over their face. It should be the kind with flotation behind the head (kind of like a pillow) that can float them face up. There are usually outside straps on them that you can grab onto with your hand or a boathook in case you need to rescue them from the water. Don't scrimp. Get the best and make sure it fits.

#9 ·
Thanks for all the great input. I am going to get a new raincoat for my son who is eight for fishin and thought about getting one to go over his pfd.Sounds to me I better get one that fits under his pfd.

#12 ·
I think it makes sense to have the pfd as the outermost layer for safety reason.
But... for comfortability, most rain jackets will cause dampness from bodily sweating with the added insulation of the pfd. I wear my pfd in the boat, I can get sweaty even with my breathable/waterproof jacket. In case like this, I will have to let the heat vent out to control the sweaty sticky sensation. So be safe, and make sure to vent off the built up heat to stay confortable. I certainly have heard of the excuse of being uncomfortable to avoid wearing pfd. So don't let it be.

#13 ·
PFD on the outside. It allows someone to pull you back aboard by providing good handle holds. Also, with your clothing closer to your body you will retain body heat a little longer. As we in the NW all know our waters are not the warmest and hypothermia will set in quick.
My:twocents:

Rick

#15 ·
I have worked with the State Marine Board fitting kids with PFD's

You should NEVER put a coat over one
If you want to have a dry happy kid then I suggest a properly fit float coat if they are big enough to wear one other wise the one suggested above with a crotch strap to prevent the PFD from floating off the kid should they end up in the water

I also highly recommend testing the PFD in a swimming pool to help the kid understand how it works and to make sure it works when it would be needed the most

Mustang Survival is the best resource for info on proper fitting and application of all types of PFD's

Google them up and give them a call you will be smarter and safer as a result

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.