IFish Fishing Forum banner

Santiam?

789 views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  Incredible_Bulk 
#1 ·
I am going to the in-laws in Gates this weekend and wondering if the river was open around there or do I need to go below Mills City as I am not familar with the area. Having a hard time figuring out the regs. Thank you for any info. Rip

#2 · (Edited)
No, its all open for clipped steelhead (all nates right now). You could fish right in Gates. Up that far will be slow, but you never know. I did hear of some caught at Mehama recently (who knows). You can use bait, but trout must be released. You can't fish up from the deadline at Packsaddle for a little ways, but then the river is open above there. Good luck, it is near summer levels. Amazing scenery and solitude always!

#3 ·
Yup, the water is crazy low, but the deeper pools are fishable, there are a few fish in the river right now, but most are native, there are a few recycled summers in there from what I've heard, but its slim pickins. Expect a beautiful day on the river, but not much more and you'll be happy. :)

Ben

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.