IFish Fishing Forum banner

Got smelt?

1K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  Born to be Wild 
#1 ·
I called the commercial fish buyer/seller a couple minutes ago who's number I obtained a couple days ago to see how they did last night.
Only 500 pounds and he said he talked to one of the commercials in the Columbia this morning who had only got 4 pounds at the time.

He's not optomistic that they will be seeing more smelt and said that last nights smelt were spent.

But like he said, bout the time you write them off, they show.

Anyway, he's only got about a hundred pounds left and if someone is looking to buy some you can either call me or PM me and I will give you his number.

Dano
(360) 270-0472

#4 ·
I was down below Cathlamet, scouting around. I don't usually frequent the mainstem this early, but made an exeption for a beautiful day.

My temperature log only shows high 38 through low 39° F in the estuary.
I believe the smelt migration, if there is one, will not occur in the mainstem until things warm up to the 43° F range.:twocents:

#5 ·
Ya well they say smelt prefer a little warmer temperatures but that didn't stop some from entering the Cowlitz last Sunday and they are still there but believe most are spawned out by now.

They've been showing in the Cowlitz & Lewis for over a month now off & on now.
No big numbers of them of yesteryear but it was forecast to be that way.

The last few years it seems they only showed up in smaller than what we like numbers only once or twice a season and was short lived.
About 3 years ago there was only one good day and we were lucky it fell on a Saturday.

#6 ·
Just got a hold of Bruce a little while ago and he sold out of his last 100 pounds of smelt.
I will post again if I find out he gets more.
Maybe Monday in the Columbia fishery but sounds as though they struck out today.

I saw birds were still working the Cowlitz today in around the same areas but according to Bruce, they were eating the "drop backs".

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.