IFish Fishing Forum banner

2009 Springer Report Thread

229K views 1K replies 464 participants last post by  RiverDog 
#1 ·
Greetings Ifishers!

As that "crazy" time of the year approaches, otherwise know as "Springer Season" I found it has been helpful the last couple years to start this thread so we can look in one place for a plethora of reports. :idea:

Please post your reports on this thread... the report dosent need to have a lot details, or any for that matter, just I went out and caught or did not catch. I think bad reports are especially helpful in letting us know if there are fish around.

Good luck to everyone - hopefully this thread is full of great reports, smiling faces and shiny chrome piggies when its all said and done!

:cheers:

#2 ·
Here is my first report from my first trip of the year...

We fished the Saint Helens area in the Columbia sitting on the hook yesterday - what a great day to be on the water... no wind and sunny! Water temp was 39 degrees on my unit. We did not get a bite, bump or nibble. We saw 4 boats on the water and one of them had a nice looking springer that was caught pulling herring.

Thats it! :cheers:

#5 ·
My neighbor picked one up on 02/17. He was dragging a cut plug around St. Helens. So, myself and Lucky1 will be making our maiden voyage for 2009 tomorrow. Will be fishing the St. Helens area as well. Hopefully, we will do better than Nickle:D. Will post report on Sat.

#7 ·
Attempted my Maiden '09 launch @ 05:30 this morning. My 8hp Merc on the drift boat would not turn over. It is currently in my mechanics care.
1st day of my 5 day weekend :mad:.
On to plan B.............. open seat?????
chuck spinner's from shore.

#9 ·
I was scouting around in the lower CR. No fish landed at Cathlamet, that I know of.
Water temperature only reached the 39° F on the big ebb.

Oh, I could see my prop/lower unit in the water. Fore sure a good two foot visability. :)

#14 · (Edited)
I launched at Portco on 02/16/09, with 7hrs invested (basically a de-winterization) with zero bumps trolling cut plug and an RSk on the Oregon side from the 205 to Kelly point (three passes).

I did the same today, but one pass only and then on up to the Willamette for sturgeon (many shakers....no keepers).

My methodology this year, is to have all of my "dues paid" by the time they arrive....then they'll just jump in the boat....ha...ha:)

The water this morning was clear and cold (37.5 at the ramp, and close to 40.5 in the Willamette), beautifull day though.

Good luck

#16 ·
I launched at Portco on 02/16/09, with 7hrs invested (basically a de-winterization) with zero bumps trolling cut plug and an RSk on the Oregon side from the 205 to Kelly point (three passes).

I did the same today, but one pass only and then on up to the Willamette for sturgeon (many shakers....no keepers).

My methodology this year, is to have all of my "dues paid" by the time they arrive....then they'll just jump in the boat....ha...ha:)

The water this morning was clear and cold (37.5 at the ramp, and close to 40.5 in the Willamette), beautifull day though.

I though CR was closed above I-5, but I guess not..anyway, thanx for info.
Good luck

#15 ·
Fished Freds today as well as Davis Bar...great weather...no fish although I overhead one fisherman indicating a keeper out of Freds at head of channel but did not verify. About 8 boats at Freds and 2 at Davis. Ton of boats in Toyota hole chasing sturgeon.

#17 ·
I assume when people say "Fishing freds" you mean the area around Fred's marina? Sure sounds like it might be worth a trip to toyota hole :D
I got skunked there last year but i'm a noob at gater fishing. looking forwards to a keeper this year though :pray:

#19 ·
Yeah, that's a whoopsies. I don't like jumping on people or flaming them, but I believe we would be doing him a diservice by not mentioning it. If I made a boo-boo, posted it on here, nobody said anything about it, then I got ticketed the next time out I'd wonder why nobody mentioned it!

PS Fished on Monday from I5 to the bottom of Cat. Island. Nothing doing. TOC.

#20 · (Edited)
Well....that explains why the lack of boat traffic..whoops, although there was one other boat dumbing it up with me.

That's what I get for assuming.

Thanks for the heads up.

This event reverts to my "methodology". It's much less painfull to screw up while no one is watching.

I was just checking for new "navigational hazards", while dragging 6oz of lead on the bottom.

Oh well....first 2009 blunder out of the way.

Thank you Mr overfishin condition....I see you on the water all of the time....appreciate your kind hearted response.

P.S. I could have sworn that March 1st was the cutoff above the I5 bridge....

#32 ·
Friday I trolled Bachelor, Warrior Rock and Sand Island in the CR and Santosh and #6 run in the MC. Made at least 2 pases on each piece of water. Marked 2 good pods of fish in the CR but could not get anything to bite. Saw a seal eat a nice salmon along Bachelor and heard of one fish caught in the MC but that was up near Freds at the head of the MC. Talked to about 25 boats and 15 bankies and all the reports were the same - nothing. IMHO the water is just too cold to stimulate a bite... 39 degrees on my finder. :twocents:

On the good side it was probably the BEST February trolling day I had EVER! No wind and a nice warm sun beating down on me all day. What a great day to be out on the water even if we didnt get a sniff! :D

#33 ·
0'fer at the green can today and heard that nothing was taken at Sellwood. Water temp by my finder was 42 by midday but it didn't do much for the sturgeon bite. The wind made for difficult downhill trolls and gave me fits on anchor as there was almost no current. It was a good shakedown trip though and the sun was out pretty good at times; everything on the boat purred and I've got a shopping list of things for the tackle box.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.