IFish Fishing Forum banner

OUPV license test

22K views 55 replies 37 participants last post by  judyfish99 
#1 ·
I am wanting to get an OUPV license. The way I read it from the Coast Guard is that you can either take an approved ~60hr class or a test, is that correct? It is not very convenient for me to go to a class since I don't live near any school locations that I know of, and they are pretty pricey. Do you think with a few weeks of intensive studying of the books, I would be able to pass this test, I have a good memory and good test taking skills. Also what is/are the best text book(s) to study for this.

Thanks,
fishstories

#2 ·
I know alot of licensed guides and none of them that I know of passed the test without some classroom time, I do however know 1 guy that tried and he failed miserably.
Its a very compehensive test, a teacher will tell you what you need to study and what not to waste alot of time on.
Good luck.

#5 ·
I am wanting to get an OUPV license. The way I read it from the Coast Guard is that you can either take an approved ~60hr class or a test, is that correct? It is not very convenient for me to go to a class since I don't live near any school locations that I know of, and they are pretty pricey. Do you think with a few weeks of intensive studying of the books, I would be able to pass this test, I have a good memory and good test taking skills. Also what is/are the best text book(s) to study for this.

Thanks,
fishstories
This test is a complete joke. You will have to get papers from the coast guard and you will have to go get a physical, along with a drug test, and take copies of both with you. Also the test costs around $200 last time I checked. The test is mainly questions that pertain to navigation in the bays, and rivers such as the columbia. I personally have not taken the test, but need to. You will have to make an appointment to take the test, and get finger printed. Not sure about which books to study. Everyone I have talked to says that there are not questions relating to driftboats, or drifting rivers. hope this helps.

#9 ·
Glad to hear that those of us who have taken the six-pack and masters exams were apparently the butt end of a joke.

Fishstories,

Find out first if you even need the license. CG licenses are only needed on CG jurisdictional waters, i.e. Columbia, Willamette.

If you decide that you do, I would suggest you take a class. It will save time in the long run and give you a chance to practice the format of the exams. Plus the class was really fun! There have been some brave souls that have passed the test on their own without the class, but most do not pass on the first, or second, attempt. Many of the questions hinge on single words such as may, must, shall and so on. The test is designed to force you to know the nav. rules. The CG wants to know that you know the rules. Get a current copy of Chapman's Piloting and Seamanship. It will be your bible.

Chromersrus did give one good bit of advice...keep copies of everything you submit to the CG.

Good luck!

E

#10 ·
Fishstories - you want to get in touch with Columbia Pacific Maritime. Dennis is a great teacher. He has material you can study online. Prices are reasonable. I got my license through Clatsop CC when Dennis was there. Bit the bullet and went there for several days.

If you still feel you want to try it yourself, start with Piloting, Seamanship and Small Boat Handling by Chapman and Boater's Bowditch by Hubbard

Best
Jackson

#13 ·
Thank you for all the replies! Yes, I definitely need the license. . . looking for summer guide job in Alaska.

How long did the whole class/application/testing process take for you guys? I will start looking into a class I can get into on my week off in March.

#15 ·
Thank you for all the replies! Yes, I definitely need the license. . . looking for summer guide job in Alaska.

How long did the whole class/application/testing process take for you guys? I will start looking into a class I can get into on my week off in March.
I would have never passed without taking the class, not sure about how long it will take but I can promise you it will not be fast. I jsut renewed my license and it took almost 5 months from the time I turned in the paperwork until I got my new license, and my paperwork was complete with no problems.

#16 ·
I took a 10 hr per day, 6 day class.

After passing all sections of the test and submitting all of the paperwork to the Coast Guard, it took about 30 days to have my license in hand.

I have heard that the process, after paperwork submission, can now take up to 3 months in some cases.

As stated previously by others....KEEP COPIES OF EVERYTHING THAT YOU SUBMIT.........

#17 ·
If you take the classes....you will be tested in the classroom....I believe there are at least three separate classroom tests...at the end of the 8 day class, if you have passed your tests you will be given a certificate that you will take to the Coast Guard REC center along with all the other documents....This is how it was explained to me by Columbia Pacific maritime. Cost for the 8 day class is around $950.00 Then it's about another $150.00 for the Coast Guard to process your paperwork..then it's another $50.00 bucks to submit all your approved paperwork to the state for your guide/outfitters license.

#20 ·
I recently finished up all of my paperwork and submitted it to the Coast Gaurd for final approval of my Master Inspected license. I agree that I would have never passed the test without taking classes. I am glad that the route to a guide license is not easy. It definitly weeds out anyone not serious about it. I would say I have almost a year into it so far. When I last talked with the Reginal exam center they told me it was taking around four months for original licenses to be processed.

#21 ·
I went through Columbia Pacific Maritime with Dennis, a great guy and a excellent teacher. He really knows his s#!*. I did some classes with him when he was at CCC and at his home in NE PDX. Just did a 10 day course for my OUPV/Near Coastal, Master 50 Ton/Inland, Assistance Towing Endorsement, AB/Special. I know I would have never passed ANY of the tests with out taking the class! I did also learn A LOT. If you can find the time and come up with some money going to a class you would be much better off. As for the USCG, I pray they can process my application with in a resonable time, (appt. is tomorrow).

But if you do decide to take the test with the USCG without a class, please let us know how you do. That way I know my $1500 was worth something (it was, I learned a lot)...

Lance

#22 · (Edited)
But you don't have to know how to swim. That test is no joke from what I hear. On the clack, I didn't need it. But it's funny to me that I had to take CPR and not know how to swim.

I think chromersRus is saying it's a joke that someone would need that to run a driftboat on some waters and I tend to agree. I am for everyone being accountable and safe out there. I am totally for knowing all your navigation rules if you're in waters that would warrant that. I think he could have been a little more eloquent about it, but I knew where he was going with it.

#25 ·
I went through Fryar's course. Passed the first time through.:pray: But I found his classroom to be a bit noisy and distracting. It was convenient for me as I only lived about 5 miles away at the time..so I grabbed the materials and studied at home just to be able to concentrate. I ended up getting the 100 Ton License..and yes..you will be surprised at the information you are required to know and learn. I felt like Rodney Dangerfield in the Back to School movie..lol...although I don't think I was quite as disruptive. Hadn't been "to school" for about 20 years.....

Good luck.
Mark

#26 ·
I took mine at Clatsop Comm. College at the M.E.R.T.S campus in astoria. 100% self paced and modular too...The instructors are either tugbaoat captains or ex-tugboat captains so they know their stuff. Good guys too. Something like 100% success rate as well. I got mine from there and had a good time doing it. Just my :twocents:

#27 · (Edited)
Columbia Pacific Maritime.
Dennis is a great teacher!

With his help, small classroom, 1 on 1, it was really not that hard.

WHATEVER anyone says, don't listen to anyone who says its hard, or rules of the road is hard, etc. its all easy! If you are going to do the class, or on your own, do it with a clear, open mind! Do not stress about it, and if you are stressed about anything in life, it might not be a good idea to take the class/test.

Take the 8-10 days of your life and turn the cell phone off! Turn the internet off! Its just you, the teacher, and the books! Thats it!
If you have a question ASK. If it don't click, ask again and say what?

I figured I was payin 1000 bucks for this class, I didn't care how stupid I sounded but I was gonna make him earn my $1000 lol..

Save up a few bills, get a hotel in Portland, and take a class :twocents:

#28 ·
I am one of the rare ones that didnt take a class and studied for the test. I spent 4 hours a day for over six months in preperation for the test, I flunked the first two times - passed on the third and last try - 25 ton inland masters (OUPV). It is not easy and with the current economy and fishing seasons not worth it. I still guide full time but trust me now is not the time to try to start up. Lots of work for little or no customers and shorter fishing seasons, worse fishing every year, higher taxes every year, higher insurance every year and every year a whole bunch of new expert guides to help dilute the customer pool. tough way to make a living.

#30 ·
To be able to operate a Charter Vessel, with paying passangers on waters classified as navigable by the Coast Guard, you are required to have at a minimum an O.U.V.P license A.K.A. Six-Pack License.

The list of "Navigable Waters" is an eye opener for most. Yes it does include the waters previously mentioned. However, portions of most of the popular rivers, here in Washington, are classified as "Navigable" in the Coast Guard's eyes. The Cowlitz & Chehalis Rivers and Lake Washington are a few on the list. I have a copy of the list of Navigable waters for the Thirteenth District. If I can figure out how to post it, I will.

As for getting the License, take the class. The amount of time a person would spend in the class, versus self studying, is minuscule. If you are planning on working this Summer, GET STARTED NOW! Yes, it is somewhat expensive upfront. However, in Alaska, one good tip could cover it.

Here is a link to the class that I went through a few years ago. http://www.zenithmaritime.com/
John Baird is a really great guy to work with.

Good Luck,

Chris A. Rogers
USCG Licensed Master #1514267

#37 · (Edited)
To be able to operate a Charter Vessel, with paying passangers on waters classified as navigable by the Coast Guard, you are required to have at a minimum an O.U.V.P license A.K.A. Six-Pack License.

The list of "Navigable Waters" is an eye opener for most. Yes it does include the waters previously mentioned. However, portions of most of the popular rivers, here in Washington, are classified as "Navigable" in the Coast Guard's eyes. The Cowlitz & Chehalis Rivers and Lake Washington are a few on the list. I have a copy of the list of Navigable waters for the Thirteenth District. If I can figure out how to post it, I will.

As for getting the License, take the class. The amount of time a person would spend in the class, versus self studying, is minuscule. If you are planning on working this Summer, GET STARTED NOW! Yes, it is somewhat expensive upfront. However, in Alaska, one good tip could cover it.

Good Luck,

Chris A. Rogers
USCG Licensed Master #1514267
I'll jump in.

Go to the National Maritime center website http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/ This has all the infromation you need to find an approved class provider, work through the medical requirements, get forms, contact numbers, sea time and all the other stuff you need to get a license.

Here is the listing of navigable waters for Oregon Washing ot Idaho and Montana http://www.uscg.mil/d13/docs/CG_Navigable_Waterways.pdf

Non motorized (drift boats) do not require a licence but the state, forest service, etc. may require it in order to get a guides license depending onthe state orlocation. You'll have to check with them for additional requirements.

If you are looking at getting set up for this summer good luck. This is the rush season and everyone is trying to do the same thing as well as all of those who need to renew are doing it last minute. Don't forget you may have to get a TWIC card also and that takes more time to complete a backgroung investigation. Good Luck!!!

Dan

#35 · (Edited)
Thanks Monty, as you know I put a lot of effort in teaching the class and really enjoy what I do.

Give me a call and I will be happy to discuss your options for either taking the course or self study. I would also recommend getting your application into the coast guard ASAP. The turn around time on a perfect application is about 80 days right now. I will also be happy to help you with that too, it is what I do.

Dennis (503) 841-6066
http://columbiapacificmaritime.com

#36 ·
After 5 1/2 months from start to finish, I finally received all of the credentials required by the Coast Guard and now have my OUPV License (6 Pack).

I completed the classwork at Fryar's Matitime Services and have to give Mike Fryar all the credit in the world for helping me through this very difficult course. It's been 45 years since I graduated from college and found that studying once again was a real challenge. (I got back into the swing of it very quickly because.... I HAD TO!)

The biggest problem I had to overcome was not the class work, it was with the Coast Guard's Medical Dept. Word of advice! Be very aware of the strict medical issues that can bounce you out of the program. I would get FULL CLEARANCE before spending all the money on your class work and required paperwork. I did not do it that way and ALMOST didn't get my license! (PM me for specifics, but be careful when filling out any CG Medical Forms)

I must admit, I am proud of my achievement, but wish I knew then what I know now about the Medical exclusions! However, "all's well that ends well."

Rusty

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.