IFish Fishing Forum banner

Togiak River AK Question

2K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  flyin chrome 
#1 Ā·
How is the rainbow fishing on this river? I'm looking for wade type fishing on gravel bars. Are these trout migratory , like some rivers I have fished up there in the early spring they are very low in the system (even estuaries) where the rivers are big and wide and tough to fish, and they move up through the summer and follow the salmon. Also what is the upper river like and how far from mouth to upper river trout type water is it?? Thanks for any info

#2 Ā·
Woodrow
The trout fishing is excellent. I personally don't every recall seeing a rainbow under 20" with many around 25" and some over 30". I'd really recommend a boat to fish the river. They can be found throughout the system, but better fishing is up river. There are several side channels that can be floated and offer excellent trout fishing. I hope this helps. If you're looking for a guided trip for rainbows, you can't go wrong with Togiak River Lodge.

Jackson

#4 Ā·
Like stated, they are all through the system. I've caught several near the mouth. Fierce competition for anything you throw in the water, found it hard to target just one species. There are a few gravel bars down low (< 5 miles from mouth) that you can fish from, but you'd be better off in a boat down low. Lots more wading water up further 10-30 miles with more rainbows and dollie vardens as well. Alot of slots in early July will be stacked with Sockeye up high, so you might have to work around them to find the trout. I tried fishing real light for the dollies and trout and still hooked kings, chum and everything else, even up high.

#5 Ā· (Edited)
i have guided up there and found the Rainbow fishing to be fairly spotty. If you get up into the wilderness area there are several tributaries that are truely fantastic. We ran these with jon boats and 40 horse pumps. A real blast to rip up those tiny creeks with a light "sled". The dolly fishing is fantastic. My favorite time to fish these creeks was in late July after the king and chum have spawned. The largest rainbows that I caught were very early in the season and in the main river right at the mouth of the tribs, early June

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.