IFish Fishing Forum banner

How deep do you "Float" your bobber ??

2K views 5 replies 6 participants last post by  float2ber 
#1 ·
When matching weight to bobbers how deep should I set the float?

I have been trying to get it to float just past the green line if I'm running A west coast float, so it can go under easier. Is this the right way of thinking??. Should I load it to float deeper or above the green line.

:bowdown:

Thanks Guys

#2 ·
I run the tuff float because I can easily see the attitude of the jig. I set it up that the bobber will react to the slightest hesitation in the jig. I counter weight it according to jig and if I use bait. This is a fairly light set-up but works well for me. I prefer that the fish not know what is going on before he feels the sting of my hook.

#4 ·
I like to **** my float heavy. Usualy more than rated depending on what kind of float. I believe most of your more costy floats have two color lines on them ( w/c red and yellow) I heard some time ago the top line is for slow or slack water, and the bottom line is for fast or swift water. Not really for sure if it is true, but I understand. It works too. The float wont dip under in the current with just a little less weight.:twocents:

#5 ·
I like to **** my float heavy. Usualy more than rated depending on what kind of float. I believe most of your more costy floats have two color lines on them ( w/c red and yellow) I heard some time ago the top line is for slow or slack water, and the bottom line is for fast or swift water. Not really for sure if it is true, but I understand. It works too. The float wont dip under in the current with just a little less weight.:twocents:
That is true. In smooth current your float should ride at the top color band, and idealy it will slip under with minimal force. In a choppy run or drift, weighting your float will not only make it easier to see, but will also give it more bouyancy. I like to use a float that is rated a little larger than my offering, so that I can use split shot to counteract any current differences.:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.