IFish Fishing Forum banner

Boat Recommendation

19K views 70 replies 49 participants last post by  1991 Arima 
#1 ·
Hello everyone,

I will be in the market for a new boat I want something in the 18-20 ft range. I fish the willy, columbia, and bays. I was looking at Alumaweld boats as they are in my price range. I am considering the Blackhawk OB, Intruder OB, Stryker OB, or the Super Vee open bow. If anyone has knowledge on these models help and recommendations would be great. I like to troll, Back troll, and anchor fish.

Aaron

#2 ·
Man your going to get a lot of answers on this one. I own a SuperVee and love it. It is a great all around boat for bays and rivers. A true fishing machine. If your looking for family comfort go with a windshield boat and top for anchor fishing and trolling. With the SuperVee you are definately out in the elements unless you get a top. I have a top but seldom use it. Good luck.:D

#4 ·
My good friend has a North River and it's a great boat. But when we're on the river and he sees a Willie Predator open boat, he often remarks on how much he loved the one he had, prior to the North River. Most who own Willie's are fiercely loyal. If you look at what you get for your money, you'll see why. I can't imagine a better open boat on earth for the Pacific Northwest.

#5 ·
Hello everyone,

I will be in the market for a new boat I want something in the 18-20 ft range. I fish the willy, columbia, and bays. I was looking at Alumaweld boats as they are in my price range. I am considering the Blackhawk OB, Intruder OB, Stryker OB, or the Super Vee open bow. If anyone has knowledge on these models help and recommendations would be great. I like to troll, Back troll, and anchor fish.

Aaron
I was looking at the Blackhawk, Strykers and Intruders last year. Then I went to North River, and ended up getting a Seahawk for about $3k less than the Blackhawk with more options, and better design for the applicaitons that I was looking for. It was a sale price at that time, and not sure of current prices, but was surprised of the price difference. I always assumed the NR's were more money. I fish those same waters that you mentioned above and have been happy. Only changes I would do differently would be to add some under deck storage options (aka fish box), and the next size up on motor (18'6" 115hp, 150hp would have been nicer).

-= Scott

#6 ·
Hello everyone,

Aaron
I agree with Rags, and if you have a wife and family definitely go with the Northriver Seahawk, love mine and glad I have the top.

#7 · (Edited)
I have never owned a Willie :wink:, so I remain fiercely loyal to North River. They just do things right and give you a very workable boat that jumps on plane, is comfortable and well built.

There are many many excellent boats out there - I spent 3 years determining my choice and could have went with a few others easily.

#9 ·
I went from a 20' Custom weld cobra se which i had for 5 years great boat.Now i have 24' Maxxum seahawk (north river) & it also is a great boat.Maxxum marine in Eugene sells North river,Custom weld,Willy & Thunder jet they are great people to deal with.You realy need to drive them all & make up your own mind.Your buddies boat will always be better because thats what he owns.

#49 ·
:agree: and you wont find a better deal.. at least i couldn't... they have treated me great worth the drive or at least a call:twocents: pm if you want any info they will help you find the right boat even if you buy somewhere else... figure they will get your business later for all the other goodies, because of honesty and customer service.... sorry keep raving
just my experience:meme:

#11 ·
Thank you all for the information I will be looking into North River boats as well I always wanted one but thought they would be to expensive.

Thank you
Aaron
Remember the North R are tanks... way too heavy compared to other manufactures. Hard to beat a Alumaweld, koffler, wooldridge, or willie.... Fos fishing features no body builds a better boat, also hard to beat the resale value.

#12 ·
Get the biggest one you can afford/store/trailer.

They all seem big on the showroom floor. They have a way of shrinking when exposed to water.:D

I've owned a 20' Seahawk for 3 years. Its been a great boat.

Had an Alumaweld before the Seahawk. It too was a great boat.

I've had open and now a windshield,wouldn't go back to open.

#13 ·
Her is another not so well known brand that I went with that you might want to check out, to be fair to yourself. Pro-Stealheader. I got good quality with lots of extras for less $$$. Mine is the O/S and it is equipped with Honda motors. A quality boat that works well in the rivers as well as 50 miles off shore. The fuel economy is top notch.

Rick

#14 ·
I am on my 2nd North River the first was a 21' X 72" comander. I traded that is after 5 years and only lost a couple thousand on trade for a new 22' X 84" Scout. Great boat no problems for how and where I fish. I know there are some that think NR are tanks but I looked at the boats for how they were buit as a Structural Enginer......Bottomline is you get what you pay for. Willies are good boats but they finaly started making Wide Botoms (84") this year. NR has been making them for 6-7 years they have a track record.

#17 ·
Hello everyone,

Aaron
i have a 07 ,17'stryker,i love it,but if i was going biggeer,i would go wider and higher sides,just my oppion

#18 ·
You know, you got me dreaming today about a new boat. I love my SuperVee but if money was no problem I would get the 24' Willie Raptor, 225 Yamaha and the T8 kicker or the 25' SuperVee with a 225 Mercury Opti and the Pro kicker. Which ever way you go you would have a true fishing machine.:excited:

#19 ·
Abrown
You need to also check out Fishrite. They build a quality boat. When I was shopping for a new boat back in 2005, I looked at many different manufacturers. North River and Alumaweld are nice, but I saved THOUSANDS by picking Fishrite. Jamie and JD will work with you to customize your boat and make it what you want.

My recommendation is to NOT get in a hurry. I have to believe that retailers will be willing to deal right now.

Good luck
Jackson

#21 ·
Something often overlooked, How comfortable are the seats
and how is the leg room if you were two others with you?
Before buying any boat, spend several hours sitting in each
of the seats. (Don't worry about what the sales people may say or think) Boats are an expensive purchase. If you aren't comfortable in it for many hours at a time, you will regret the purchase.

P.S. I have a 20ft. Intruder Sterndrive w/ 8ft beam

#22 ·
I suggest to buy used. There are good reasons for all the boats mentioned, none of them are perfect for everyone. I myself prefer Alumaweld mainly because they often lighter and easier to handle plus I have always had good luck with them after owning 2, first one being a Stryker Sport Forward Helm, and my current one, a Super Vee. Boats my fishing pals own include a Willies Predator, several Thunder Jet's, a Duckwork Advantage, a North River, a Hewes Sportsman, and a Invader. All fish different and work well for their style, I have spent many hours fishing in their boats and them in mine. Having owned 3 open boats and one windshield w/ top, I prefer the open boats BUT don't turn down the chance to fish in the covered boats in inclement weather. So, take your time, keep a look in the classifieds, and take as many rides in as many different makes you can. Get what you want, not what is the most popular. Good luck.

#28 ·
Abrown,
I currently am an 18 ft. sportjet Intruder owner and it has been a great boat but if you take a look at Motion Marine that may make your choice easy. If you have time to wait for one they are imho the best you can buy. Good luck.
Ray

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.