IFish Fishing Forum banner

cheap, terrible swivel weights!

3K views 18 replies 13 participants last post by  cubsfan 
#1 ·
I am thinking about not using swivel weights anymore. I recently had one break while casting, and most of them look like barf. They don't even have lead all the way around the eye of the swivel.

What do you guys think of swivel weights? How have they worked for you while fighting big fish or snagging up real bad with heavy leader? When I am using my caster I want some weight and split shot won't cut it without like eight of them. I am (will be when the river comes up again) casting a big jig and an ounce or more of weight on an abu 5500 for large, early nates. I am running 65#power (springer rod too). What else do you guys use for weights while float fishing? Cannonballs? Thanks.

#4 ·
Good to know, I will keep the faith for now. It's so easy to tie your braid directly to them. These were from a retail store and they all looked bad. I should have passed them up. I bought some from BeeLee online last year,and they seemed to be good quality too. What about the Oregon Tackle ones?

#6 ·
It all depends who you are getting them from, we have a local guy pour all of ours for us and he is very good about getting the lead completely over the eye and partway up the shaft of the swivel. We strength tested them but after the 50lb scale reached the 50lb mark, we figured that they were just fine!

tight lines
-Michael

#9 ·
Look'em over real good before buying to make sure the lead covers the wire right up to the eye. I use inline weights for bobber & bait nook fishing and haven't had any problems.

#12 · (Edited)
From a particular large retailer in SE Salem. It doesn't carry roller blades and ski equipment (hint). I love that store but those were junk!

I would buy from BeeLee. The ones I got from him previously were great. He is local and pours all of his own and makes sure they cover the swivel well. I have heard first bite makes a good one too, but I don't prefer the way they make their jigs with pins so I go with BeeLee. Good luck!

#13 ·
Yea I've had bad luck w/them. I know some other guides that pour there own. but what i do, because after tying leaders, cutting lead, making slinkies, rags, pw rigs... and all of the boat stuff I dont want to make any more... so i use the egg sinkers and match the weight of the bobber exactly.. Never had a problem but i make sure and put a bead between the weight and my swivel to protect the knot...

#18 ·
Here is what I do: get a clamp swivel, put a piece of lead (cannon ball if you are using a big enough float or you can hole-punch pencil lead) in the clamp, and tie your mainline and leader directly to the swivel, not the clamp. Works fine for me and I haven't had issues with the weight breaking my leader.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.