IFish Fishing Forum banner

Shrimp, Bottom fish, and Salmon

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  Sucker fish 
#1 Ā·
A couple of buddies and I are taking a 10 day fishing trip this summer. We have a 22ā€™ Grady and are primarily looking for good halibut, lingcod and general bottom fishing, shrimping and crabbing. We are fishing freaks, 12 to 16 hr days, are used to roughing it, camping is preferred, and under a semi budget. We were thinking something along the lines of northern Vancouver Island (Telegraph cove). With some research, I am finding that Telegraph is not what is used to be, maybe that only pertains to salmon. We would like to catch some salmon, but that is not our focus. What do you guys think for location and time of year? Any info would be appreciated.

Thanks

#4 Ā·
One of my favorite fisheries is spring suckers in billy chinook, they fight great on light gear, and you get the occasional 3 - 8 # bull trout. I grew up in Bend, there is not much else to fish for in the area in March. Needless to say I get alot of **** for targeting suckers and nicely releasing them, no I don't eat them, and yes tuna, stealhead, and salmon kick the **** out of them.

#5 Ā·
See the Ucluelet/Barclay Sound thread. Salmon and halibut to be had...bottom fishing is good...shrimping can be exceptional. If it's too rough outside, there's still a ton of productive water inside the Sound.

If I was looking at doing a trip along the lines of what you describe, that's the closest, quality place to do it all.

Winter Harbour is also great, but more of a pain to get to.

#7 Ā· (Edited by Moderator)
Here is another vote for Telegraph cove. I was up there 3 years ago too and stayed at the Double Bay Resort.. which is across the channel from Telegraph cove.

We caught some great fish...I even was on the cover of their brochure for a while. (In order for you to appreciate the size of the fish pictured below... you should probably know that I'm 6'4" and weigh in at about 345 lbs) :whistle:

Although we had fun at Double Bay, (and it was relatively cheap since we hauled our own boat up there)... we decided if we were to do it again, we would rent a room or cabin at Telegraph rather than staying at the resort.

I'd have to dig out my nautical map, but you would be welcome to borrow it if you are headed up that direction.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Dave

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.