IFish Fishing Forum banner

Will there be Sandy river smelt?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  Highmark 
#1 Ā·
With the smelt comming in on the cow anyone think that thee will be a run this year on the Sandy? one can only hope.

#3 Ā·
I would venture to say no.

Normally smelt move into other trib's above the Cowlitz when we experience large Columbia smelt returns as if they sense there is more than enough to seed the Cowlitz.
For some reason though we seen some smelt move past the Cow in the last couple weeks and enter the Lewis and seeding capacity was definately not a problem in the Cow.
You never know about them little guys.

And I hope I'm wrong also but I would be in no way optomistic about Sandy smelt this year.

Next year could be a different story though. :wink:

#4 Ā·
Perhaps.
Sometimes...ok, it's pretty unusual...they get up the Columbia and for some reason don't like the Cowlitz and go on to the Sandy. Pretty rare to get all the way into the Sandy though...

Keep an eye (and an Ifish-eye) out for gulls around Chinook Landing or even off the airport and Government Island.

#8 Ā·
It was quite a few years ago...but they do come up inside the Sandy..railroad bridge and up to the Troutdale bridge....the water was high and we were standing right at the edge of the bank at Lewis & Clark. I hope they come.... I eat bait ! :D

Lou

#9 Ā·
i remember that year. My older brother dipped his net in and was pulled
in from the net being full in one dip and the water was running fast.
He popped out as fast at he went in. Just thinking about makes me giggle. So funny... but he did not drop that net full of smelt. Dad would have kicked his @#$ if he had.

HM

It was quite a few years ago...but they do come up inside the Sandy..railroad bridge and up to the Troutdale bridge....the water was high and we were standing right at the edge of the bank at Lewis & Clark. I hope they come.... I eat bait ! :D

Lou

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.