IFish Fishing Forum banner

Hogline Etiquette

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  freespool 
#1 ·
Last year at Bonneville, we lost our favorite anchorage despite the fact that we were there long before sunrise. My questions is this: Is it generally accepted and/or legal to sleep on the boat over night while on anchor? Also, seems like some guys leave their anchor & buoy all night. Rules about this? Very dangerous to mess with that stuff in the dark.

#3 · (Edited)
:argue: this should be good :lurk:

I would say that no anchor should be left overnight it could be a hazard up there, I dont know who would want to leave it there I would be afraid of it getting stolen. If someone is brave enouph to stay up there all night more power to them.

#5 ·
Hey...if a guy wants it so bad he will anchor in his boat and sleep on it all night...he deserves the spot. Sounds kinda dangerous to me, especially in the Bonneville stretch. In my younger-fish hungrier years I used to do this for the entire spring break on lower Columbia wing dams.

On the other hand, just dropping your anchor and float and leaving it in a spot is unethical.....and may be a hazard, too. I probably wouldn't move it on you, but a good percentage of my friends would collect it as a memento :)

#7 ·
Last year at Bonneville, we lost our favorite anchorage despite the fact that we were there long before sunrise. My questions is this: Is it generally accepted and/or legal to sleep on the boat over night while on anchor? Also, seems like some guys leave their anchor & buoy all night. Rules about this? Very dangerous to mess with that stuff in the dark.

You can legally spend the night in your anchored boat.
But you must have USCG approved anchor light, you also must be clear of the navigation channel.
Here's a hint for getting a good lights sleep up there, bring ear plugs.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.