IFish Fishing Forum banner

Dairy creek, mountaindale?

6K views 20 replies 14 participants last post by  tatered 
#1 Ā·
Anyone know if Dairy Creek on the north side 26 , Mountaindale area is open to fishing for Steelhead, I ran into some guys fishing it today and they claimed to be fishing for steelhead, this was several miles back Dairy Creek rd . I cant seem to find it in the regs.

Thanks for any help

MD

#4 Ā·
Yep I was kind of thinking that, I cross that creek a couple times a week and have never seen more than a small minnow or some Crayfish or for you Other guys (Crawdaddys, Crawdads, Mudbugs) But I had to tell these Guys to leave the property as it is private, they mentioned the High water rule and I kindly explained that only counts when you are not parked in Our driveway that has several signs saying that its Private,No trespassing and your wading in the creek all the way through. They seemed a little anxious to get out of there and looked to be Highly strung if you know what I mean. If I was certain that there was some fish(Steelhead) being protected in that creek I would have Called the tip line but after seven years of crossing it I have never seen one.

MD

#5 Ā·
Yep I was kind of thinking that, I cross that creek a couple times a week and have never seen more than a small minnow or some Crayfish or for you Other guys (Crawdaddys, Crawdads, Mudbugs) But I had to tell these Guys to leave the property as it is private, they mentioned the High water rule and I kindly explained that only counts when you are not parked in Our driveway that has several signs saying that its Private,No trespassing and your wading in the creek all the way through. They seemed a little anxious to get out of there and looked to be Highly strung if you know what I mean. If I was certain that there was some fish(Steelhead) being protected in that creek I would have Called the tip line but after seven years of crossing it I have never seen one.

Back when I would do opening day of trout season there ( 25 years ago ) you would always hear of 1 or 2 steelhead caught. I don't know if it is open now or not but there are still probably a few strays around.

MD

#12 Ā·
You can most assuredly fish it for trout..you just cannot harvest any...it is still a great little fishery for cutty's if you can gain access..Growing up on the creek it was usually very easy to gain access just about anywhere but those times are gone as the folks thats used to live there have moved away and the newer owners are not nearly as "fisherman friendly" for the most part. There are still a few places a guy can get on though.

Years ago there was a guy with hatch boxes on the creek that put in Coho and Steelhead...I have never seen a live Coho but I have seen several dead ones...caught a few steelies over the years myself as well. I even saw a chrome summer run in there one time in July! Was a great place to grow up.........sigh

#10 Ā·
One of my co-workers has pics of three silvers spawning on a Dairy Creek tributary that runs through his property near Green Mountain from two seasons ago. Nothing seen since. Steelhead would not be out of the question IMO.

E

#13 Ā·
Years ago my dad said that they caught SH in a ditch that is a trib. to Dairy creek above Mountiandale store but that was a long time ago. I have not seen even trout in this ditch in many years but i only see it in the summer now. Steelies are few and far between and it's not legal to fish for them, i would have turned them in.

#14 Ā·
Without knowing the facts I didnt just want to turn them in because when we seen them they were just fishing, Our main concern at the time was for them to leave the property . With some of the imput I have recieved the tip line may be called next time.

Thanks for all the help

MD

#17 Ā·
I used to start fishing (look. This was back in the 50's, I think the statute of limitations has run out) Carpenter Cr. in February. Kind of spotty early but could be real good the first of April. All it really took was some low water to get the fish on the bite.

I smell a HIJACK!

If you ever wonder why we have no cutthroat fishing in this area any more, look and the nursery stock industry for your answer. Where is EPA when you need 'em?

#18 Ā·
I used to start fishing (look. This was back in the 50's, I think the statute of limitations has run out) Carpenter Cr. in February. Kind of spotty early but could be real good the first of April. All it really took was some low water to get the fish on the bite.

I smell a HIJACK!

If you ever wonder why we have no cutthroat fishing in this area any more, look and the nursery stock industry for your answer. Where is EPA when you need 'em?

Yes!!! That is exactly why creeks like Carpenter are baron of fish. Nursuries are one of the largest palluters in the Tualatin drainage.

#19 Ā·
Many years ago there was a hatchery up in Mountaindale, there is a spot where you can still see some of the ponds from the road. There has always been a run of steelhead that went up there. I remember seeing them up at Little Ben park quite a few times years ago but I didnt know if there were any left these days. I would guess that its closed being as it was many years ago, I dont think it has changed

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.