IFish Fishing Forum banner

Bamfield / Barkley Sound in June

713 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  Slabby20 
#1 ·
Has anyone fished at Bamfield or Barkley Sound in June?? I go up in late August every year but heard it can be quite good in June as well for springers. Just wondering if anyone has any 1st hand knowledge about fishing up there in June.

Slabby

#2 ·
Slabby,
I fished many years ago out of Island West Resort in Ucluelet. The fishing weekend was put on by Canadian business associates and they believed that June was the time to be there. That being said we were basically fishing outside and it was pretty rough out there. When it got too rough we fished inside and got fish too. We did manage to get a bunch of fish with the bigger one's outside. Good luck.

#3 ·
We went in early to mid July and had a blast. We also stayed in Ucluelet but weather permiting would make the run (22 miles I think) to what was reffered to as "Big Bank" which is closer to Bamfield if I'm not mistaken. Lots of kings and Halibut and that's where I broke into the 50# club! Back to back 50#ers. Flasher and Hootchie set at 40' on the downrigger. If the weather was nasty we fished inside and awalys had full limits of Coho bottomfish and Crab. Also did the oyster thing and not only did we bring back a boat load of oysters but it was a beautiful ride. Always a great trip and hopefully I can go back again. My girlfriends Grandpa goes to Bamfield in August and it seems like for the last 3 years his group really hasn't done good at all. I told him to go earlier but he's alot older than me so of course he knows more than me :whistle:.

#4 ·
Thanks guys. Rip n lips, I agree that the late August slot has been rougher fishing the last couple years than it normally is. Hopefully that will change back to more normal this year. It's usually awesome in Bamfield in late August. I'm thinking of doing a June trip and just trying to get some positive feedback from others that have done it before commiting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.