IFish Fishing Forum banner

Smelt are in the Cowlitz 2/17/2009

17K views 89 replies 40 participants last post by  HntnFsh 
#1 · (Edited)
There has been some off & on bird activity since Sunday this time including gulls and today there are a significant number of seagulls working the Cowlitz between Longview and Kelso just downstream of the Longview/Kelso bridges.

I called WDFW just to let them know and ended up talking to the Olaf Lang the smelt bio and had an interesting chat with him (again).
He already knew the smelt were in as a commercial fisherman called in and left a message they got 2,900 pounds of smelt on Sunday.
The commercial stated they were just up there to test dip but it was so good they had to go back to get more gear.

So, they are in and I took pictures a couple hours ago of the bird activity below the bridges but with my cell phone.
I'm going back now to take some with my camera and will post some later.

Hopefully they will stay around or keep returning through Saturday so us sports fishermen get a chance to harvest some.

Oh, and also Olaf said that the commercials got them around the Lexington area but to day there is definately some 3 or 4 miles down river where I saw the bird activity.

Keep ya posted and get ready for this weekend (Saturday) in case they are still around.
We have 5-6 weeks left of the season.

Dano

See less See more
#3 ·
:excited: Just to add to this, I ran across a commercial boat in front of Willow Grove yesterday with a net chock full of smelt as he pulled it out of the water. I pulled along side him about 60ft. away just to make sure I saw what I thought I saw..................and I did!............lots of little silvery fishies hanging from the net!

#4 · (Edited)
I got a question. I am from Oregon and ive never had a chance to go dip for smelt. I know some times the sandy gets them some times they dont. my question is if I came from Portland and went to cowlitz isnt that near longview??? and I wanted to dip what the regulations would be and what would I need. Oh and is there a place I could do it from the bank?

Thanks

#8 ·
Yes, the Cowlitz in the Longview/Kelso area. You can only dip on Saturdays from 6:00am to 10:00pm, 10 lb. limit per person. You need a smelt dip net and a five gallon bucket. Most folks dip them from the bank, so no problem finding a bank. Finding space on the bank amongst other dippers is a different story, but most folks are pretty decent.

#7 ·
I've heard over the years Bill of folks trying in the Columbia mainstem but really don't recall anyone having any or much luck.
Some tried it out there because if I recollect the Columbia mainstem is open 7 days/week unlike the highly restricted Cow in recent years open to sports on Saturday only.

I sure would like to go outside the mouth right now & try just for the fun of it but I'm not going to take the drifter down there especially since the motor has been unreliable, even though new.
Think it got water in it but the fuel filter was ok when I checked.

Someone will answer your questions Ripthemlips but I'm on my way out the door again...

#9 ·
About 5 years ago I dipped a ton of smelt out of the columbia just above the parking area at County Line Park. It was spooky we were wading out and dipping a pretty good amount and the seals were swimming right up to and swirling. If I remember right I think that was a year that there were an absolute ton of them everywhere so I don't know if that would work now...

#13 ·
Thanks for the information. I am just curious though because I live in OR and will be going into WA to dip for them not sure if you need a permit or some thing. I'll i'd need is about 10-15 LBS and I am set. I'd go to the CR if it was open and I knew a spot.

So do you think its time to go dip or should I wait another weak and see if the run gets thicker?

Thanks every one.

#17 ·
I only use them for bait. Never got brave enough to make a meal out of bait!

Ripthemlips--no permit or license necessary to dip smelt. Check the regs or call Bob's in Longview for your own peace of mind, but you don't need them for smelt. We are allowed 10 lbs. per person.

#18 ·
I only use them for bait. Never got brave enough to make a meal out of bait!

Ripthemlips--no permit or license necessary to dip smelt. Check the regs or call Bob's in Longview for your own peace of mind, but you don't need them for smelt. We are allowed 10 lbs. per person.

Thanks for the information. Now I need to set date and find a net that will work.

Not really sure how the smelt run just curious if its supose to get thicker or what. I dont have a problem traveling but I would like to make sure its during a time i'd be able to get atleast a few pounds.

#25 ·
With all due respect (mostly to our fishery) Why can't it just be closed for a couple of years to rebuild the run?????? :passout:Sorry, no hijack intended, but really!!!!! This is not a substance fishery, it's a BAIT fishery in these parts. Granted some here like to eat a plate of them a couple times a year, but no one is surviving on them.
Do you remember,,,,,,1 dip or 2 and your done?

PS TURN IN ALL POUCHERS!!!!:mad::mad:

Pete Grace!

#29 ·
Just fishing, but as a kid in Calif. we used to catch day smelt with an A frame net in the waves on the beach near Point Arena. They were great fried and a real supplement for beer when smoked. My favorite was lightly browned in butter then pickled in a crock, pour hot oil and cider vineager with garlic cloves,onions,capers,bell peppers,pickeling salt and pepper, let set referidgerated for three days in a pickle crock, and OMG what a treat.

#37 ·
Here's a link to the WDFW smelt page (eulachon) with lots of interesting info (some I pasted below), pic's of smelt larvae, a map of the smelt spawning rivers from the Mad River in northern Cal (where I caught my first chinook) to Twentymile River in Cook Inlet in Alaska and other interesting info & links.
What I coppied/pasted below explains the "low level" sport & commercial fisheries that take place on poor years like this one.
I'll post it with the Canadian workshop report also that I am getting closer to finishing. :D

http://wdfw.wa.gov/fish/creel/smelt/index.htm

Prior to 1995 only minor regulation changes were adopted for Columbia River commercial and sport smelt fishing seasons. During 1960-1977 commercial smelt fisheries were open year-round 3½ days per week, except for 1965 and 1966 when the season was expanded to 4½ days per week. Beginning in 1978 the commercial season was expanded to seven days per week. Prior to 1986 the season was open the entire year but beginning in 1986 the season was reduced to the December-March time frame to better reflect the run timing of Columbia River smelt. Prior to 1997 the sport fishery was open seven days per week the entire year.
As Columbia River smelt abundance began to decline during the early 1990’s, fishery managers recognized the need to restrict fisheries to increase escapement to spawning areas. Lower Columbia River mainstem and tributary commercial fisheries were greatly reduced beginning in 1995. During 1995 and 1996, commercial fisheries were restricted to fewer fishing days per week, but the season extended through the end of March. During 1997-2000, commercial fisheries were further reduced to test fisheries, which ended in mid to late February. These test fisheries were intended to allow minimal smelt catch to provide fishery managers with data necessary to assess the annual run strength and provide an opportunity to sample catch for biological data. Seasons during these test fisheries were severely restricted in both days per week fished and duration of the fishing season. Sport fisheries in Washington tributaries were closed early during 1997-1999 in response to continued poor smelt returns to the Columbia River.
And there's more...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.