IFish Fishing Forum banner

She won't fit!

2K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  The Overfishin Condition 
#1 Ā·
Option 1. Sawzall

Option 2. More speed

You may be able to reframe the door opening if the garage door itself overlaps enough to accomodate a wider opening. This may be cheaper than a customer trailer solution.

Orion

#2 Ā·
I had the same problem. Fortunately one of my fishin buds is in the door business. We remover an 8 by 9 wide door and replaced it with a 9 by 10 wide. I day job. We had to remove the header which was under a full span truss. Also put in low profile door rails to get extra height. My trusses are 9 foot 2 inches above the floor. Custom garage.
I also had a buddy who removed the bottom 2 feet of the 2 by 6 trim on his door frame. He would remove them to get the boat out, and than stuff them back in place. The 3 inches width he gained gave him 1 inch clearance on each side to the wheelwells.
It can be done!
Another plan could be cutting the rails and door frame enough to clear the wheelwells and make it swing in and out of the way. You would need extra brackets for mounting the rails to make sure they line up, and some heavy hinges but it would be a lot cheeper than a new trailer. Just make sure the header is still supported and that you don't significantly weaken the door frame. Find a carpenter among your fishin buds and trade a fishin trip.

#5 Ā·
I feel your pain. When we backed in to the garage (10' high opening) the spot lights would rub the rubber gasket seal around the garage door.
It was a simple fix... Remover the top gasket seal and see there's plenty of room all of 3/4". It sure doesn't look like it when the boat is going in the garage. I cringe each time it goes in or out.

I'm sure there is something that can be done to resolve your issue. You'll be glad you did. It's so nice having the boat in a closed secure place.

#6 Ā·
When I bought my new sled I had them build the trailer to fit in my garage. I think I had them build it 7" narrower than standard. It raised the boat a little from the ground making it a little tough to launch at a shallow ramp, but it fit in the garage. Might be too late but I'd check a trailer shop to see what the cost would be to narrow the trailer and compare it to re-framing your garage door.

#7 Ā·
I think it should fit in my garage just fine...

In seriousness, you might see if you could find another trailer for sale that would fit both you boat, and the garage. Buy that trailer, sell you trailer. Might be able to save some money over a custom trailer or a custom garage. Maybe you could make some dollars!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.