IFish Fishing Forum banner

NF Santiam: Shelburn to Greens Bridge

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Cromehound 
#1 Ā·
I couple friends and I are thinking about running Shelburn to Greens Bridge sometime soon. Iā€™ve done some pretty extensive searching of old posts on here and thereā€™s nothing thatā€™s been posted this year on that stretch. I hear that stretch can be pretty technical at times, and pretty hairy with changing channels and many down trees. Has anyone been down it this year? Are there any major things to avoid? Iā€™ve also heard quite a bit about people dragging their boats for hundreds of feet in lower water. What is level that we wonā€™t have to drag. My friend will be rowing on this trip and he is very experienced on the sticks.

Any help or advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

#2 Ā·
I couple friends and I are thinking about running Shelburn to Greens Bridge sometime soon. Iā€™ve done some pretty extensive searching of old posts on here and thereā€™s nothing thatā€™s been posted this year on that stretch. I hear that stretch can be pretty technical at times, and pretty hairy with changing channels and many down trees. Has anyone been down it this year? Are there any major things to avoid? Iā€™ve also heard quite a bit about people dragging their boats for hundreds of feet in lower water. What is level that we wonā€™t have to drag. My friend will be rowing on this trip and he is very experienced on the sticks.

Any help or advice you guys can give is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
We have fished it into late June and have never had to get out to drag, granted I row a Clack and we scraped in some spots but I wouldn't get out if you can help it that water is cold and strong even if it looks like you could get out. I have been out to release wild fish and those rocks are slick and there is more force there that it looks. Its a great run with few people so if you get in trouble your on your own for the most part. The bad part is all the braids with blind corners and big water. Sorry can't help with heights but my journals got stolen out of my truck the year we were fishing that a lot.

#6 Ā·
I would try to ask some folks on Weds at their meeting:

Steelheaders meet this Wednesday, February 18, at 7:00 p.m. in Paradise
Island Park, 3100 Turner Rd, Salem. A technical demonstration about GPS
units will be the program, and it is possible to mark fishing drifts on the
mapping hardware. Optional no host dinner before the meeting will be at
Lancaster Roadhouse at 5:30. There will be a discussion about ā€œLearn the
Riverā€ trips, which start on March 7 with the trip from Greenā€™s Bridge to
Buena Vista.

#9 Ā·
The last time I was down that stretch was in December, before the last flood event. So can't give you much in the way of current info other than to be cautious. There were some big trees leaning then that looked like it wouldn't take much to bring them down. I might go down on Saturday if my back is feeling better by then. Good luck.

#10 Ā·
I floated from Greens to the I-5 rest stop last week. I had to get out and walk the boat twice on the North Santiam. You could have probably floated through tight spots both times but one missed stroke and you are in a large root wad so I chose to put my clients on the beach and walk the boat around.

You have to scout both of these areas from the bank as you can't see the routes until you get right above them. Be VERY careful!!

The take out under the I-5 bridge is worse than ever. If you don't have a good 4X4 then you won't get your drift boat out. It took me several rolling yanks to get the trailer out of the water.

Good luck! Grant

#12 Ā·
I did that float maybe 7 times last year and many times in the past you should be able to get through Its a easy float water might be a little shallow.Went down to just above the log jam 2 weeks ago in a jet and the river was clear and had not changed much.Just get out and walk down the bank if you are not sure about the river ahead.Bring a saw just in case but never needed one on the n santiam.Its can be a long drift.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.