IFish Fishing Forum banner

Spring Chinook Online Seminar

102K views 231 replies 123 participants last post by  red_shoes 
#1 Ā·
Ok guys and gals, I am going to try to answer some questions and help a few of you out with an on going on line seminar right here on IFISH. Next on our plate is Springers, and one of my favorite and most productive ways to fish for them is to troll, slowly with cut plug herring. So lets get in to the basics and get you guys dialed in for this season. First of all I like to use a braided line as my main line, usually 65# tuff line xp. First thread a swivel on the main line as a slider for the main line, then a tbead followed by a round bead then tied to a bead chain as seen below.

Next attach a snap swivel and about 18" to 24 " to another bead chain, this is important, not just for the extra swivel, but the additional sonic vibrations that attract fish. This is where you would add a fish flash, or any other flasher that you would like to your line. Make sure your lead line is not longer than where your bead chain is, this will keep you from many tangles if you make your lead line shorter than the bead chain. I like a 18" lead line.

Next your mooching rig, I like to use a 20# Leader with a 3 hook rig, from top to bottom, 3/0, 3/0, and a 2/0 stinger.

Next add your favorite cut plug herring. Make sure to look for scale loss, if it does not have lots of scales, it gets thrown away on my boat. Keep them fresh, with lots of blood and scent, natural scent from the blood.

Feel Free to ask any questions, and I will have more to come, as in using Prawns, Kwikfish, back bouncing, spinners

Remember if you really want a good lesson, book a seat with me. I have lots of openings for this spring season.

See less See more
#6 Ā·
Next your mooching rig, I like to use a 20# Leader with a 3 hook rig, from top to bottom, 3/0, 3/0, and a 2/0 stinger.

Joe, I see that your 3 hook rig uses the same basic setup for the top 2 hooks the top is a slider correct? and the 2nd is just a regular eggloop. How do you have the 3rd tied in there? Looks like a double line.

#14 Ā·

Joe, I see that your 3 hook rig uses the same basic setup for the top 2 hooks the top is a slider correct? and the 2nd is just a regular eggloop. How do you have the 3rd tied in there? Looks like a double line.

Top hook is a slider, 2nd hook is a nush knot that the stinger is attached with.

#8 Ā·
the only thing I'd add is where you have the green bead, add a one inch rubber hose like the black windsheld washer tube. Slide it over the knot and on the bead swivel, leaving a little over the knot. This will protect the knot from the bead as the sliding weight putting excess pressure on the knot from the bead will possibly weaken the knot.

#12 Ā·
the only thing I'd add is where you have the green bead, add a one inch rubber hose like the black windsheld washer tube. Slide it over the knot and on the bead swivel, leaving a little over the knot. This will protect the knot from the bead as the sliding weight putting excess pressure on the knot from the bead will possibly weaken the knot.

This is an option that you can do, however I have found no benifit from this. The only thing you gain is a larger obstical infront or your bead chain. I have never lost or broke a main line from the slider or knot failure.

#17 Ā·
Is your top hook ran through the "low side" of the plug cutt , and the middle hook on the high side?
What diameter of roll do you like to achieve with your herring for Columbia Spring Chinook?
Does the corky do anything more than just add color?

#18 Ā·
OK...I can barely see it, but looks like you have a swivel up top that you attach your dropper to for weight. Question: did you say yu do not attach your flasher directly to the swivel at end of your main line; that instead you add about 2' of leader; then flasher ; then leader to hooks; to keep weight from tangling with your flasher? thanx for your info

#28 Ā·
My question is, what kind of action in a cut plug are you looking for? I have had good success attaching my herring so that it swims in a basketball size circle; not spinning like a spinner blade. I have hooked fish using both presentations but the latter typically using a Rogue rig.
What do the masses do?

#32 Ā·
Really cool thread...I have a couple of questions. What type of lead do you use and where does that attach and does it slide? I think you have it attached to the snap swivel that slides but not sure. and the lengh of drop on the lead is that what you meant on the distance of the bead chain?

#33 Ā·
Thanks for the seminar!!

My question is, what kind of snap swivel are you using (brand, size), as I would think that they would be the weakest link in this set up???

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.