IFish Fishing Forum banner

open bow boats on the big c and puget sound

8K views 18 replies 12 participants last post by  ifish4king 
#1 Ā·
Anyone see i/o open bow boats running around the big c and the puget sound area? When I saw puget sound, I'm talking less than 1000 yards from shore. I'm looking for a 18-20' boat and am kind of leaning towards an all around family boat rather than just a fish killing machine. Any thoughts...

#4 Ā·
Re: open bow boats on the big c and Puget sound

Its just boating common sense. You don't go out if the waves are going to be breaking over the bow all day. Keep your eye on the conditions. I have ran all oner Puget sound and the Columbia river in a 15' Alaskan with no problems.

#8 Ā·
I do both the big c and the sound in an open north river and no issues, also been in the ocean clear out to the CR bouy on the big c and also westport, a couple things thou will you be running a prop or jet, in a jet make sure it has a stainless steel impellar and on both if your in the salt make sure they have zinc bars. also if your in these waters make sure its a mimumin 10 degree V on the bottom, the boat will run better in big water. Also if your in the big c be sure you have all the electronics gps ect. hpoe this helps.:meme:

#11 Ā·
Not sure what difference an I/O makes (balance?), but I ran a 19-foot Willie (windshield, open bow) for many years without problems (including over the bar) because I picked and chose my times.

If waves are breaking over the bow, you're probably not talking a good family time anyway...I ran for cover at the first small whitecap (about 11-13 mph of wind).

#12 Ā·
I also don't see the I/O or Straight outboard relevance, but we have had both, 19' outboard and 18' inboard, both open bow. We've used them up and down the Columbia and into the ocean. Pick your days. If you want the extra assurance, build a box to go in the bow and snap on your bow cover. I can make my boat essentially a closed bow if I want to. TOC.

#16 Ā·
Just a suggestion. If you want more of info navigating the salt, check out the Salty Dogs, and do a search for previous threads. Open bows are NOT ideal for the salt. A bow cover is a good start as bar conditions can change in a moment. Open bows do not have a bulk head between the bow and the cabin therefore one wave over the bow can equal a lot of water in the boat very fast with another wave right behind it. It only takes a minute to be swamped in the ocean.
Pick your days, watch the forecast, and be careful. The ocean is NOT forgiving.

Good Luck,
Rick

#17 Ā·
Just a suggestion. If you want more of info navigating the salt, check out the Salty Dogs, and do a search for previous threads. Open bows are NOT ideal for the salt. Experience helps but is not a guaranty. A bow cover is a good start as bar conditions can change in a moment. Open bows do not have a bulk head between the bow and the cabin therefore one wave over the bow can equal a lot of water in the boat very fast with another wave right behind it. It only takes a minute to be swamped in the ocean.
Pick your days, watch the forecast, and be careful. The ocean is NOT forgiving.

Good Luck,
Rick

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.