IFish Fishing Forum banner

Columbia Walleye

15K views 85 replies 43 participants last post by  Rufusdan 
#1 Ā·
Walleye fishing in the Columbia near Rufus has been steady. There has been a few 11lb plus females being caught as well as males in the 4lb range. The water temps are still hoovering aroung 35-37 degrees, the water flow is minimal BUT the waters are smooth. This is a great time to enjoy the fishing......... the local guides are starting to fill their boats with clients and the frenzy is soon to follow.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 Ā·
Only time my buddy and I tried for walleye's we ended up catching tons of small mouth and no walleye. Using bottom walkers and worm harnesses
Where there are Walleye there are almost always Smallmouth bass.

Walleye though, are the harder ones to locate.

#10 Ā·
I'm hoping to come up March 7 and 8 with the walleye club from Portland. Any tips for where you are finding them?

#11 Ā·
Yup..... the deadline, concrete hole, the 103 and a few other holes. However, each day seems to have different types of luck in those locations. Since moving up here and collaborating business with the local guides I've really decided that this is the area to fish. We have the great fish producing Columbia River, the mouth of the Deschutes, and the John Day arm all within 8 miles of Rufus. Good luck and have fun. Look me up when you come up, we have a single level motel in Rufus.

#12 Ā·
Were you out this past Friday or Sunday? I drove I-84 past Rufus, John Day, Descheutes all the way to Umatilla. I only saw 2 boats in one spot by Hood River and 2 boats in another spot near The Dalles. I fished the Columbia at Irrigon on Sunday. Light wind, rain, sun, a little of everything weather wise. No walleyes. Used "Gulp" leeches for the first time ever. Anyway, just curious if you were out this wk/nd and how you did. Thanks

#17 Ā·
I was fishing with my boys last weekend near Rufus on Roosevelt and hooked a mid-twenties carp that I originally thought was a huge walleye. Caught it in 50 feet of water on a jig, so there was no doubt in my mind I had a walleye until the color showed orange (bummer!!).

Anyway, back up there closer to Rufus in ten days. I'll report in how it's going when we get off the water.

#19 Ā·
I would argue this with you, but last time I made a good point on this thread it got pulled.....From now on there will be no good points with supporting facts allowed:wink:
All I'm gonna say this time is almost all I've ever pulled out of the belly of the dozens of walleye caught in the gorge or the willamette is a pile of squafish which we pay money to remove from the river:whistle:
JD

#20 Ā·
your support angle was pulled along with the attacking comments. The point was, this was a walleye fishing thread and people keep hijacking it with devisive comments, whether there is a basis or not. How about lets let the fishing post stand on its own and if someone have a contrary thought, start a new post for it.

#24 Ā·
Keep up the info on the fishing, I'll have to get out there soon to catch my first lower columbia river Walleye. Got a bigger boat for this year, and need to figure these river Walleye out. Any info on where to catch Perch and Crappie in the columbia? hood river to McNary?

Rod

You might elicit a well informed, detailed response if you share your most memorable (i.e. funny, embarrassing, unbelievable but true) fishing story with us since you are brand new and all. It's an ifish initiation! :flowered: :cheers: Someone will surely respond after that!

#26 Ā·
Thanks RufusDan!
That was a great post. Very little walleye fishing is talked about here. Cool info you gave for some of us who haven't been exposed to walleye fishing or had the notion to think about it. I pass through your way on the way to hunt birds. I will have to stop by sometime:applause:

MORC

#29 Ā·
Dan, you're a class act and I look forward to staying at your place (thanks for the PM).

Looking forward to some reports, as I will be in your area in next two weeks.

Thanks

#30 Ā·
Rufusdan,

Were you fishing in the open Alumaweld Thursday?

I was in the Alumaweld jet with the 2 black labs.

We caught a couple in the auto body hole and 1 at the elevator. All were males.

Did you catch anything along the freeway? I didn't follow you over because of the number of deep sturgeon nets there and the narrow drift, but I did fish it today before running down to Fulton Canyon. We caught 3 more eaters today.

Cord

#31 Ā·
Rufusdan,

Were you fishing in the open Alumaweld Thursday?

I was in the Alumaweld jet with the 2 black labs.

We caught a couple in the auto body hole and 1 at the elevator. All were males.

Did you catch anything along the freeway? I didn't follow you over because of the number of deep sturgeon nets there and the narrow drift, but I did fish it today before running down to Fulton Canyon. We caught 3 more eaters today.

Cord
I wasn't out today, however at the 106 (along the freeway) is where we have hooked into a couple of 11lb + pigs the last couple of weeks. I just talked to one of our guides here and Clyde said that he landed a male today and lost three yesterday. They took the worms and left the hooks. Smart fish!
Happy fishing.
Dan

#38 Ā·
If it is fight you want, now is the perfect time to fish walleye. There are deep set sturgeon nets strung between the innocent looking white styrofoam blocks that have no surface net floats to let you know what is below. These really put up a good fight. I have yet to bring one to the surface on my 20 pound braid.

Cord:meme:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.