IFish Fishing Forum banner

Fiberglass drift boat ?

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Grantspastor 
#1 ·
I am going to buy a DB! I am looking at some older fiberglass boats. My ? is, what would be a bad sign to look for in a older boat? I am new to buying or owning a Drift boat. This will be my first DB. Should I be looking at a Alum. or mybe wood? I really dont like the Wood idea of a DB. I like the Fiberglass because it will be a lighter boat....I dont know!!! Just so many choices and know one to ask about it, but you guys! Any info would be great...Thanks so much. I will be running rivers like...North/east lewis, kalama river, washougal....ect.

#3 ·
It's really a matter of preference and the type of fishing you like to do. For the rivers you mentioned above a glass or aluminum boat would do just fine.

Some things to consider, fiberglass tends to slide over rocks better than aluminum, so if you're running shallow water a lot fiberglass may be better. There are a lot, and I mean a lot, of aluminum boats out on the used market, so you can probably get a pretty good deal on an aluminum model. Clackacraft, seems to be one of the front runners in fiberglass, but I don't see as many used clackacraft's as I do Willie, Northriver, Alumaweld, or Koffler's.

Do what you can to go for a trip in as many different types of boats as you can and then make the choice based on what's going to work for you best.

Good luck!

#4 ·
I've had both,,,,for my money a Lavro Glass boat was the best I ever owned. Decided I didn't use it enough and sold it to a guy whose grandfather lived on the Clackamas River. It was a beauty, and have kicked myself for the last 14 years for not just letting it sit in the back forty and wait for fall. If I ever get another chance at another, I'll buy it.

#6 · (Edited)
Keep in mind Clackacraf has a 100 yr warrenty on the bottoms. If you buy one from say craigslist take it to clackacraft in Clackamas and for a 100 buck I think they'll go through and get in your name for the 100yr deal. There is one on the CL for less then 3000 grand Black/yellow. Looks like a good boat from the pictures. There is another brand of glass boat 17 fter for 2500 out of salem. Start looking now might be a good time to buy. I have rowed a willie and then my Clacka. I liked the willie but the glass boat does row easier to me at least.

#8 ·
I would also vote for a glass DB. I've fished out of my fishing buddies Aluminum DB and it is a lot heavier than my glass Lavro and it is a lot noisier with waves splashing against the side of the boat. I love the flexible glass bottom when riding over rocks and shallows and doesn't get hung up nearly as often in skinny water. My Lavro is 25 years old and still going strong. Good luck in whatever you buy.

#9 ·
I love wood...but don't recommend it unless you want to spend many hours maintaining it. I've rowed them all...and would recommend you buy whatever you can get the best deal on if you plan to buy used. Metal requires the least upkeep, and good boat designs row very well. Get a 16' or bigger boat if you plan to fish two guys plus yourself. Smaller boats are nice in tight places, but for all-around use not the best. The glass boats may be a little lighter, but most all well-designed boats row well. Larger/wider boats like a 17" x 54" float higher and can carry more weight. Drift boat length is measured around the gunnel...not from stem to stern. Stick with proven designs and/or manufacturers like Wille, Alumaweld, Clackacraft, Fish-Rite, and others with similar designs. There are many good boats out there. Stay away from non-conventional or home-built boats. If you want a highly maneuverable boat (and you will) get a boat with enough rocker (like the above mentioned boats) Other factors that you might want to consider are higher sides, etc if you hope to run bigger whitewater someday. Most of the mfgrs offer some sort of "high side" or "guide model"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.