IFish Fishing Forum banner

I need a Clearwater guide!

2K views 13 replies 12 participants last post by  meat hunter 
#1 ·
Hard to believe I have lived most of 35 years in Idaho and never fished the Clearwater River. Anyhow in a couple of weeks I am going to make my first trip for 3 days of B-run fun. Since it is a journey for me (8 hours) I thought I might hire a guide for a day to teach me some of the river and improve my catch rate. Anybody got some info for a good guide in the area?

#6 ·
Are you a Sled guy or Drift Boat guy? I'm not one to be packed into at 24' sled with 8 other people so I wanted to Drift when i went over there. We went with Jarrett's Guide Service and I will, without a doubt, use them again next year. We limited before we got half way down the drift and they are awesome people. Also it's nice to be able to hit the river above Orofino which doesn't allow motors :)

#8 ·
Jason Shultz of Hells Canyon Sports Fishing is one of the best guides in that area. A real nice guy to fish with, too.

#10 ·
Hard to believe I have lived most of 35 years in Idaho and never fished the Clearwater River. Anyhow in a couple of weeks I am going to make my first trip for 3 days of B-run fun. Since it is a journey for me (8 hours) I thought I might hire a guide for a day to teach me some of the river and improve my catch rate. Anybody got some info for a good guide in the area?

#13 ·
Thanks for all the suggestions. I emailed Mike Kelly but unfortunately he will not be in town while I am there.
Looks like I will be going with Clearwater Drifters. Hope they treat me right.
Look for my return post. I hope to have some beautiful steelhead pics to show off.

#14 ·
Try being successful on your own first, it's not a tough fishery.

Go to the guide shop on hwy 12, west end of Orofino. They will give you a river map of all the main holes, McGill, pink house, pole yard etc... They sell tackle, buy what they recommend and go fish it how and where they recommend. I did this in 95' when I moved to Orofino and 20 minutes later I was fighting my first steelhead on a 6' bass rod.

If you see a drunk guy wearing sweat pants, moccasin slippers and is missing a front tooth, his name is Ken, tell him Sean said hello!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.