IFish Fishing Forum banner

Left hand Line Counter reel?

7K views 14 replies 11 participants last post by  Lucky 13 
#1 ·
Is there one made that is quality? Or are those that prefer lefty reels out of luck. I wished the Tekota was made in a lefty and have heard it's not going to happen. Anybody have any ideas.

#2 ·
Is there one made that is quality? Or are those that prefer lefty reels out of luck. I wished the Tekota was made in a lefty and have heard it's not going to happen. Anybody have any ideas.
After a lot of searching the only LH linecounters are the Okuma Convector and a Cabelas model. I've heard rumors of a Daiwa but the rep at the show didn't know anything about it.

Jeff

#7 ·
I have one of those left Okuma's and like it alot. Have only used it for about a year, but seems to be holdig up great. In fact just picked up a second one over the weekend. Don't have anything to complain about it yet.

#12 ·
I own 2 of the Okuma left handed line counters. I use them for diver and bait for steelhead. Perfect for steelhead and I really like that I know I have each rod out the same distance. The drags are ok, but I wouldn't trust them on a 40lb chinook are a really hot 20lb springer!

Chris

#13 ·
I just purchased 5 of the Okuma Convector Linecounters. It is not my experience yet, but I have been told by the factory reps. and several recent purchasers: The new Convector series has a different and improved drag system that is smooth and reliable. That was not true in the past. The new Convector also has larger gears. I hope all I have been told is true....I will find out soon!:whistle: I would obviously prefer the Tekotas, but buying 5 or 6 reels at a time the $55 Okuma was very attractive compared to the $179 Tekota.

#15 ·
When you are limited to only a few LH line counters, you make what is available work. I know some people out there will have to have at least a Tekota, but I can't stand the RH retrieve. I bought two of the Okuma Convectors last year and thought they were adequate for the type of fishing done here in the Northwest. The drag isn't the latest greatest Unobtanium material, but most of the time when you are using a line counter you are in a boat so you can usually keep over the fish, so the drag worked just fine. So don't be afraid of this reel. The line counter does make it nice to know where your rigs are fishing.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.