IFish Fishing Forum banner

Are fishermen gradually being pushed out of

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  TheSteelheader 
#1 Ā·
Oregon City? I've heard that the moorage at Sportcraft is going away...the area above Sportcraft has been turned into a park, the parking in front of the motel has been turned into a sidewalk. The ramp at Clackamette is horrible...the main channel runs right at the foot of the ramp. You better be ready for "lift off" the minute your boat hits the water. I'm thinking the "new blood" coming into this area is more interested in walking/bike paths, parks and not much interested in fishing. You feel the same? Now where?

#2 Ā·
Well...it's like the old camping area at Kalama Bar.
Even though it wasn't much, it did provide a place for RV's and even tents right on the best fall chinook real estate on the Columbia River.
Up to a couple years ago...
Now it looks like Yuppieville, USA, tennis courts included.

#3 Ā· (Edited)
The simple answer is Meldrum Bar.
The longer answer is yes it seems that OC will be heavily developed soon. The lagoon behind OC Shopping Center is scheduled to have a boardwalk around it and basically a strip mall. I've heard rumors of condos as well. Things are changing. The urban growth boundary is expanding and places that aren't profitable will be replaced. It's always sad to see change like this. But we take the good with the bad.

What's weird is look at McLoughlin Blvd. It's a ghost town. Stuart Anderson's (Black Angus), car lots galore, Dairy Queen, all gone under. I've never seen so many empty buildings and lots. Pretty soon it'll be just strip clubs and adult shops. I wouldn't want to start a business there now or 10 years ago or 10 years from now. OC had an adult shop here once and residents picketed everyday until they closed it. It's a family oriented town and that's what people are looking for to raise families.

Oregon City will be the home of the next Bridgeport Village type shopping center. Mark my words, OC will boom while other towns bust. They have a plan and it seems to be on target.

So while we may lose a boat ramp, we gain a shopping center and boardwalks that attract families to our area. Families spend money locally and support our economy. I'm sad to see the old go away, but still kind of excited to see the new. It's a double edged sword I know.

#7 Ā·
I would have to agree with Mr. Johnson. It seems as though the great State of Oregon isn't concerned about passing on the age old tradition of fishing to the next generation. The drop in sales doesn't seem to bother them, closing ma and pa shops doesn't seem to bug them, and all the venting done towards thier organization doesn't seem to bug em' either.

I understand your pain when you see all the "good" spots and opportunities fading away.

I do believe we are heading in the right direction though. There are a lot of us out here working double time in trying to get "it" back. We just need more people to get involved and continue working harder (and smarter) then ever before.

It's funny - doesn't matter what your age is, fishing tends to be a platform for bonding us all together....I'm 41 and have fishing buddies from 2 to 82....I for one don't want it to "fade" away.

Fish on....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.