IFish Fishing Forum banner

Sturgeon fishing on the Columbia River

1K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  ChrisCurtis 
#1 ·
Can someone direct me to where on ODFG website or else where for that matter I can find out the sturgeon retention season on the lower Columbia River. Am trying to decide on either an early summer steelhead/ sturgeon fishing trip on the Columbia river or wait and come over the 3rd week in August for some buoy 10 fishing??? My wife wants me to bring her over to the coast to catch some real fish instead of our little trout over here in Idaho. Also she has never eaten sturgeon before.

#4 ·
Quota is smaller this year so you might want to book in June. Hopefully the spring runoff will be on time this year and won't ruin the fishery like it did last summer. I grew up in Idaho myself and never caught anything bigger than a 7 lb channel cat before I came here.

#5 ·
I don't have the regs in front of me right now but estuary season is set to close early July. I think it will be closed a few days at the end of June but will reopen for the short July season.

Anything can happen between now and then so pay attention to what's going on on a daily basis the last part of June.

This is a seven days a week fishery.

#6 ·
Oh I have hooked some monsters in the Snake River, but never landed them. My wife has never eaten sturgeon before or caught them for that matter. Having grown up in Warrenton am sure I can get her into lots of fish and now have a boat that can handle rougher water then what I use to use. It would be nice to get in a couple days of summer steelhead fishing up in the islands and then catch a couple keeper sturgeon down off Astoria. But as per usual usually either don't have enough time or enough money. But then it would also be nice to come down the 3rd week in August and catch some salmon. Thanks for all the info everyone provided.

#7 ·
Estuary sturgeon/bottom fish Memorial Day through the 4th. Bonneville Dam sturgeon in October. :thisbig:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.