IFish Fishing Forum banner

What to buy with a Fishermen's gift card?

769 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  wapiteaser 
#1 Ā·
The dilemna...the wife surprised me with a $100 Fishermen's gift card. I'm pretty darn happy with that but I don't know what to get...any suggestions?

I'm kicking around getting one of the Shimano Cennan 10'6" rods for trolling. They're regularly $199 but on sale (ends today) for $89.

However, I'm also tighter than a clam in distress and when it comes to fishing rods, I don't buy premium gear. I've got three salmon rods already but they're all 8'6" or 9' rods. I do think there may be an advantage to getting gear a bit farther off the side of the boat though to avoid tangles.

Other than that, I've spent the winter accumulating gear for this springer season in the necessary quantities. Plenty of Owner hooks, cannonball weights, several dozen flashers, and even got a moorage for my little boat. 8 flats of green label herring. Already have some wet weather gear that was a Christmas gift.

The only other thing I'm thinking I may want is to buy plenty of two cycle oil...but that's a consumable and I'm thinking I need to use the gift card on a "thing" that will be around awhile.

Other than the fact that the Cennan rod sale ends today, there is no urgency to decide. Any thoughts?

regards, aw

See less See more
#2 Ā·
How about a Mustang inflatable life vest? A High end anchor nest for your bow? A good quality fillet knife and diamond sharpening stick? A waterproof breathable coat shell for more comfortable fishing? Some ExtraTuff Neop boots for springer fishing?.............I'm tapped :(

or, or......a stocking cap by Loomis with a little skeleton fish on the front....they'll probably hit ya for $100 for that!

#3 Ā·
How about a Mustang inflatable life vest? A High end anchor nest for your bow? A good quality fillet knife and diamond sharpening stick? A waterproof breathable coat shell for more comfortable fishing? Some ExtraTuff Neop boots for springer fishing?.............I'm tapped :(

or, or......a stocking cap by Loomis with a little skeleton fish on the front....they'll probably hit ya for $100 for that!

All good ideas....I don't like the horsecollar feeling of inflatable vests though. I always wear a PFD while on the water- just a standard one with some pockets to stow stuff.

Got the anchor nest (and also a great idea, freed up a bunch of floor space in my boat when I did that)

Got a few knives and a paperwheel setup that ensures all are always razor sharp, or a bit sharper. On that subject Garyk had asked if I'd bring the paperwheel to an after work get together, sort of a knife sharpening party. If there is any interest we'll put that together before springer season. A good knife and a means to sharpen it is a great idea though.

The hat- if I'm buying a hat it's gonna be an iFish stocking cap. Riverbum wore one in my boat, calls it his "happy hat", and we catch fish when it's on board. Definitely thinking of a nice coat though. Like a lot of guys I have one waterproof breathable coat- and it's camo. Nothing wrong with that but I'd like something that wasn't came for fishing season. I'll make a couple of passes through Fishermen's clothing section.

Thanks for the ideas, all are good ones.

regards, aw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.