IFish Fishing Forum banner

My favorite new toy!!!! And a new slimy friend!

4K views 18 replies 11 participants last post by  Jacks Tackle 
#1 Ā·

Jason and Josh from Lamiglas showed me my new favorite winter spinner rod! I have had it for about 10 days and been fishing it for 7 days now. I have been fishing the lower Sandy around my shop for about 20 minutes at atime to break up the work load and have met a few new slimy friends already!

Heres one of them pictured above.

Lets just say I am pretty sure I felt a fish sneeze while I had my line in the water today.

I get asked every week of the year about rods for spinner fishing. When I am fishing #3 spinners and smaller I use a spinning rods, but for #4 and larger spinners I use a casting rod alot of the time.

This rod is hands down the finest casting rod I have used for spinners!

Rob Brown
career spinner maker and fisherman :D

See less See more
#2 Ā·
Nice fish I will come out this next week and pick a few of those spinners and spoons up.....I fished behind your shop a week ago and man is that some fishy water, maybe someday I can tag along for the "break"

#6 Ā·
Fishing picked up at all Rob? Seems like your doing alright. Haven't been out in a couple weeks and haven't heard much either. I'm assuming still low and clear...
Fishing has been great for me, but I love low clear water. We have plenty of fish in the river but these conditions make them search out different water then other conditions. Still very slow for most people.

RB

#8 Ā·
Nice pole, nice spinner and nice fish!

I like that rod too, in fact I haven't seen an XMG rod I didn't like so far. :wink:
I don't have that particular rod, I have a EXS 96 L 6-10lb that will fish #3 and even #4 spinners, in fact I believe this rod is the most versatile XMG rod they make; great for side drifting, floats and spinner fishing. I also have a new EXS 92 M 8-15lb that should do well with #4 and #5 spinners and 2/5 to 1/2oz spoons.

Thanks for the rod report, this can really help when people are shopping for new gear. In fact maybe there should be a new forum for tackle, rod and reel reviews for all the gear heads. :)

Hey, are you selling those sickle hooks too? How do you like them versus standard siwash hooks?

#10 Ā·
Nice pole, nice spinner and nice fish!

I like that rod too, in fact I haven't seen an XMG rod I didn't like so far. :wink:
I don't have that particular rod, I have a EXS 96 L 6-10lb that will fish #3 and even #4 spinners, in fact I believe this rod is the most versatile XMG rod they make; great for side drifting, floats and spinner fishing. I also have a new EXS 92 M 8-15lb that should do well with #4 and #5 spinners and 2/5 to 1/2oz spoons.

Thanks for the rod report, this can really help when people are shopping for new gear. In fact maybe there should be a new forum for tackle, rod and reel reviews for all the gear heads. :)

Hey, are you selling those sickle hooks too? How do you like them versus standard siwash hooks?
Ya I got the 10' 8-15 as well. Great float and spoon rod but not my ideal spinner rod, so I got the 9'6" and that rod is completely different in feel power and castability. It will be my go to spinner rod for the trophy hunting over the next 6 weeks.

I do sell the sickles. I am not a big fan of SiWash but I gotta say I have not lost a fish on them yet. I have been playing with them a bit for the last couple of years. I am also looking at some 3x heavy sickle jig hooks next.

RB

#9 Ā·
I picked up two fish a week ago on the Sandy swinging flies on the upper river. Although I have fished the Sandy for 25 years I have spent all my time from Oxbow to the mouth of the Zig Zag (when it was legal).

A generally true statement is fish low when the water is low but I have never spent time on the lower Sandy. It doesn't look as if the river will rise for at least another week. Are fish being caught "low" and can anyone share access points to the river below camp collins?

I know the Sandy is now a February through April steelhead river and the water is low, clear and cold. But, it's not as if there isn't enough water for the fish to move if they want to. No fish at the hatchery yet. If there is going to be a decent run it seems more fish should be showing and being caught given plenty of fishing pressure.

#13 Ā·
I've got a couple of the 10' 8-15's, and a couple of the 9'6" rods, too...as a group, it's the finest set of rods I've ever owned...especially after the revamp of the ten footers, Lamiglas absolutely hit the ball out of the park with the XMG series!

For anyone who hasn't used the Sickle Siwash on hardware, give 'em a try...you'll never go back once you do.

Fish on...

Todd

#18 Ā·
Hey Rob I was on your web page yesterday looking at your spinners, Can I by spinners from you already put together, or do I have to by the componets and do it myself, and can I get them with single hooks instead of trebles. Prefer #4s and #5s and how much are they. Thanks Bear:meme:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.