IFish Fishing Forum banner

Springer fishing today

3K views 16 replies 15 participants last post by  fishboys 
#1 · (Edited)
Decided to do my part to stimulate the economy and get people out fishing. I've been out at least 1 day for the last three weekends marking fish. Today we finally put a keeper in the box. Caught this on the big river with a Kwik on the hook. The water is a balmy 38.5 degrees, getting them to bite has been a challenge.

The fish appear to be at all normal springer depths, we've seen fish from 12-28 feet. Time to throw it on the traeger with some "rub with love".

:meme:

The paper is for the springer contest:), not a normal element in a fish picture.

Jeff

See less See more
#8 ·
What time is it going to go to the grill? :flowered: We will all be over for dinner, if you don't mind? Nice job....thanks for the report. I'm jealous, and so is C&E.:D:D
Fishrite

#12 ·
nice fish jeff,

what GENERAL area, have you been fishin', we've spent the last couple days off focusing around the port of longview, using herring. Jeffs quote,"The fish appear to be at all normal springer depths, we've seen fish from 12-28 feet." Sounds like I'm fishing way too deep. would you guys recommend shallow water, and should I be fishing the washington side or oregon side? we havent seen many fish, but tons of sealions, and a surprise visit from a washington dept of fish and wildlife officer in a oregon state patrol river patrol boat, his explanation was that they could contact anyone in the water, on a washington island, or oregon island, and be able to write citations. I was impressed by the boatsmanship by the OSP officer though, he pulled up next to us within inches, never touched the boat and stayed right beside us in a pretty fast current.

I was a little nervouse when the wdfw officer asked if we had caught any "shakers", and that he needed to check our gear and licenses. I told him, "we're using treble hooks and herring because we're fishing for salmon." His response was , " I need to check the regs. I'm not sure that's legal!:passout:
I guess we're not the only ones to have a hard time with the ever changing regs!

I have another day off tomorrow and would appreciate any advice!

sorry to HIJACK your post jeff, again nice fish, after several fruitless trips, I was ready to take a break, now ya got me all jacked up again!

#15 ·
The fish was great, at first I was worried because it cut white.. then I realized it was all fat. The meat was exactly what you'd expect from a springer. I'd never seen that much fat on a fish (even a springer).

I'll be out tommorow. If you see a silver north river (top up so we can play some crib) and black Suzikis give us a wave.

Jester - This is just my humble opinion, but I focus on fishing structure that is <30 feet. A few of my favorite spots are ~10,15,and 25 feet deep. I think the structure is probablly more important then the depth. I was also checked by the ODFW today and they mentioned that they hadn't seen any fish yet despite the effort. It's cold out there so I'm throwing out the full bag of tricks trying to get a fish. We're seeing plenty on the finder that aren't biting.

Fishrite - Its a shame I didn't see this sooner. I'm always up for grilling, smoking fish, and a beer or two!

The fish was tasty and needed, after a winter of eating crap it's obvious I need some health food:)

Jeff

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.