IFish Fishing Forum banner

Possible open seat for a 3 week Alaskan Adventure.

3K views 18 replies 14 participants last post by  shinook65 
#1 Ā·
I have a trip planned for myself and three friends to Prince of Wales Island this summer. One of my friends has backed out because of family issues so we need to replace this one person for the trip. Preference will go to someone we know but we must get everything booked soon.

This is not a guided trip I repeat not a guided trip we are just some friends going fishing we may have a house to stay in or we may tent camp that part we are still working out. I will be pulling my boat up with the other three guys and we share expenses ferry ride fuel etc no other charges as I am not a guide and don't want to be but the trip is fairly expensive so if you think this is of interest to you let me know.

If we choose someone from here that is interested we will want to meet and talk with you to see if we think we can all get along well it is a long trip and 3 weeks is a long time if personalities don't click well, again preference will go to someone I know but I will not exclude anyone that contacts me.

I will give more details to those that might be interested let me know. The trip is planned for mid July to early August. We are known to have a drink and play some cards but I am the captain and I donā€™t drink on the water. The boat is a 21ā€™ NR Seahawk with closed bow outfitted very well and has GPS, Radar, VHF and misc safety gear.

Thanks Mike

See less See more
#3 Ā·
Bummer about the dude backing out.

Hope you can find somebody to take his spot. Three weeks is a LOT of time off.
I agree it is a lot of time but the ferry ride is very expensive and a shorter trip is just not worth the expense to me. My father and one of his friends are retired and I work rotating 12 hour shifts. The way my shedule works I can take 80 hours of vacation and be gone for 3 weeks. I have been with my job for a while and get almost 5 weeks a year off.

I figure we are looking for a retired guy. Most of my friends can't be gone for that long that is why we are looking to fill the spot.

Mike

#7 Ā·
This is a huge mistake. Just split the cost with your other buddies. Chances of finding someone that will not drive you nuts is slim.

I can remember Slipknot taking someone fishing VCI. There was a guy who took a friend of a friend hunting on here this fall guy ended up driving them nuts.

Just suck it up and cough up the money. You will not regret it. Take the wrong person, you will regret it the rest of your life.

My two cents,

DW

#10 Ā·
I decided to update my post we filled our open seat with Fisherjack. I think Jack is going to make an excellent addition for our adventure. I had another Ifisher contact me about the trip and it occurred to me it would be nice to have a wingman or 2 I can share all my info if you have a boat and crew that would like to go. We are camping at a USFS campground on the Harris River near Klawock, AK. Our trip starts 7-19 and returns Aug - 5th. I am neither a tour guide nor fishing guide but I will be happy to share the info I have for a possible wingman.

Thanks Mike

#11 Ā·
I decided to update my post we filled our open seat with Fisherjack. I think Jack is going to make an excellent addition for our adventure. I had another Ifisher contact me about the trip and it occurred to me it would be nice to have a wingman or 2 I can share all my info if you have a boat and crew that would like to go. We are camping at a USFS campground on the HarrisRiver near Klawock, AK. Our trip starts 7-19 and returns Aug - 5th. I am neither a tour guide nor fishing guide but I will be happy to share the info I have for a possible wingman.

Thanks Mike

Man, that would be awesome!! I am GEEEEELLLLLL......US! Have fun, and report back as to how the trip went!! :D

#16 Ā·
Hey gundog did you get some charts of the area? give me a call and I'll fill you in on where to go. I been guiding out of craig for 20 years Ill see what I can remmeber:wink:.I wont be guiding in this area this year though Ill be ferther north on the Island at bear vally lodge. so I wont be able to give you up to the minut info when you get there sorry.

#17 Ā·
I have a trip planned for myself and three friends to Prince of Wales Island this summer. One of my friends has backed out because of family issues so we need to replace this one person for the trip. Preference will go to someone we know but we must get everything booked soon.

This is not a guided trip I repeat not a guided trip we are just some friends going fishing we may have a house to stay in or we may tent camp that part we are still working out. I will be pulling my boat up with the other three guys and we share expenses ferry ride fuel etc no other charges as I am not a guide and don't want to be but the trip is fairly expensive so if you think this is of interest to you let me know.

If we choose someone from here that is interested we will want to meet and talk with you to see if we think we can all get along well it is a long trip and 3 weeks is a long time if personalities don't click well, again preference will go to someone I know but I will not exclude anyone that contacts me.

I will give more details to those that might be interested let me know. The trip is planned for mid July to early August. We are known to have a drink and play some cards but I am the captain and I donā€™t drink on the water. The boat is a 21ā€™ NR Seahawk with closed bow outfitted very well and has GPS, Radar, VHF and misc safety gear.

Thanks Mike
We did this type of trip twice; once in the late 80's and again in 93. Port Hardy B.C. We drug my friends 24' boat up there, tent camped for 2 weeks had a great time, caught lots of fish. I can tell you that by the time the end of the trip, you will be more than ready to come home. Also, your patients will be tested, even with your best friends.

#18 Ā·
And probably the trip of memories ! Every year I say, "Some day I am heading to A..."

Gundog - you guys have a good time - if possible share a couple pics when back home.

#19 Ā·
I did that trip two years ago. If I had it to do over again, I'd take more time to drive up. We did the marathon 24 hour straight drive to Prince Rupert, and missed tons of beautiful scenery.
The Canadian Customs guys thought we might be terrorists or something because his gun sniffing dog 'told' him we had a bullet in the truck. After 30 minutes of him telling us " Its okay, you can tell me, I have guns too", for the hundredth time I told him "Dude, we are BOWHUNTERS, this guy (Larry D Jones) is a TV producer for Bowhunter Magazine TV, and we are going FISHING!".. He finally let us go. It was almost as bad coming home.
The fishing was great, after it took us a few days to figure out the fishery. Crabbing was stellar. One bot of advice would be visit with the locals, and other sporties that have been there for a week or so.
From what I found, 99.9% of the locals are very friendly, and after a few days, we had invites to share meals at their homes.
We met a guy, that ended up being the highlight of the trip. Extry Sariff (He was the 13th kid born to his Mom, and he was the 'Extry one'.). He discovered at age 65 that he was a poet. Now, when I heard we were going to have dinner and listen to poetry, my first thought was " Oh great..No thanks!".. I figured I could limit on silvers in the time it'd take to have dinner. I begrudgingly agreed, because he had intimate local knowledge on the halibut fishery (among other things, he commercial fished for many many years)..
After just a few minutes of him reading his 'prose', I looked around at everyone in the room. You could have heard a pin drop. I immediatly grabbed my video camera and asked if I could film him. In the two hours that he read, we laughed so hard our ribs hurt. And on a couple occasions I had to leave the room so as not to blubbler like a baby. (There wasnt a dry eye there..) What a treat to find on an Alaskan adventure.
The next day Extry took us out to find the halibut, and every one of us hooked up on the first drop. We caught a limit in about 2 hours, no giants, but awesome eaters. We were surrounded by whales the whole time.. We also caught several 'True cod'.. Or white cod? Anyway, Extry said he'd trade us his halibut for the cod. Way better eating..!
Anyway, sorry to hijack, but if you have 3 weeks, take your time to get there, and back. Enjoy the whole trip. The ferry ride from Prince Rupert to Anchorage was a blast. Introduce yourself to the locals, and enjoy the company of people that make POW their home. Have fun!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.