IFish Fishing Forum banner

Tell me about your close call

6K views 70 replies 52 participants last post by  PJMM 
#1 ·
I'm a gun owner who doesn't carry while fishing and has never needed to in 25 years on the water and on the bank. That seems to make me a minority here on ifish. Tell me about your close call when fishing when you absolutely needed that gun, that day. Don't tell me about your brother, or your neighbor and what happened to them, or the strange looking fellas near your truck. I've heard all of those and have experienced it myself.
Convince me why I need to carry, and maybe next time I will. Don't tell me it's your right, I know it is and I'm glad it is.

I'm ready to hear some really spooky stuff, and at least 4 dozen close calls. I'm not looking for a debate or a thread that will close.
Just interested in the stories.

#2 ·
Never have needed to pack a gun in 35 years of fishing (and I am a gun owner) and I have spent alot of my life on the water. I believe if you pack a gun while fishing, you're more likely to find a reason to use it. I would rather use my brain to defuse a hairy situation than have a gun available.

If I did carry while fishing, I would most likely end up in the slammer for taking shots at sealions:D.
CV

#4 ·
Not so much here in WA and OR but I know in AK when the humpies are in thick so are the bears...Iv'e never felt the need to carry here in WA and agree with The Greek that one who does carry is more likely to find a reason to use it...:twocents:

#5 ·
I've fished and hunted all my life. I own handguns, shotguns, and rifles. The only time in my life I would have liked a weapon with me was facing bears in Alaska. Any weapon would have made me feel better than standing there with my flyrod.
Not that I would have used it.

#7 ·
Penobscot, with all due respect, based on the tone of your post, and the tone of other posts you've posted in response to people's comments regarding carrying while fishing, I'm not sure anything anyone could say would convince you to carry. But let's be honest, that's not your point. Your point, is to attempt to prove that everyone who carries a pistol on our local rivers is paranoid... as you have insinuated by numerous other posts. Once again, not trying to be inflammatory, but simply making an observation based on this and other posts regarding carrying a gun while fishing.

I'll go first. I do carry while fishing if I'm in remote areas, both for 4 legged critters, and if necessary, 2 legged critters... I have never had need to use it, and I thank God for that, however, I believe in maintaining a level of preparedness for situations that are out of my control. I'm not a hothead, I'm not someone that will draw for the hell of it, and shoot my way out of a situation like Yosemite Sam, however, if it comes down to a situation where I may never be able to see my family again whether by 4 legged critter, or 2 legged... and all other level headed attempts at getting out of the situation have failed... and the situation warrants the use of force, I would not hesitate.

Does that make me paranoid... I don't believe so. I think it makes me prepared for whatever comes along. Perhaps in your eyes, I'm crazy as a loon... but as has been said in other posts, I fully believe that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Preparedness is a mindset, some people have it, some people don't. That's not necessarily a bad thing... if you're not comfortable carrying... don't. To each their own, ya know?

So there you are. I will not reply to further posts in this thread as like yourself, I don't wish to have it shut down, if you have further questions, please PM. :flowered:

Cheers, :cheers:
Bulk

#62 · (Edited)
Penobscot, with all due respect, based on the tone of your post, and the tone of other posts you've posted in response to people's comments regarding carrying while fishing, I'm not sure anything anyone could say would convince you to carry. But let's be honest, that's not your point. Your point, is to attempt to prove that everyone who carries a pistol on our local rivers is paranoid... as you have insinuated by numerous other posts. Once again, not trying to be inflammatory, but simply making an observation based on this and other posts regarding carrying a gun while fishing.

I'll go first. I do carry while fishing if I'm in remote areas, both for 4 legged critters, and if necessary, 2 legged critters... I have never had need to use it, and I thank God for that, however, I believe in maintaining a level of preparedness for situations that are out of my control. I'm not a hothead, I'm not someone that will draw for the hell of it, and shoot my way out of a situation like Yosemite Sam, however, if it comes down to a situation where I may never be able to see my family again whether by 4 legged critter, or 2 legged... and all other level headed attempts at getting out of the situation have failed... and the situation warrants the use of force, I would not hesitate.

Does that make me paranoid... I don't believe so. I think it makes me prepared for whatever comes along. Perhaps in your eyes, I'm crazy as a loon... but as has been said in other posts, I fully believe that I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it. Preparedness is a mindset, some people have it, some people don't. That's not necessarily a bad thing... if you're not comfortable carrying... don't. To each their own, ya know?

So there you are. I will not reply to further posts in this thread as like yourself, I don't wish to have it shut down, if you have further questions, please PM. :flowered:

Cheers, :cheers:
Bulk
:yeahthat:

First off if your not comfortable with carrying a weapon, THEN DONT, dont ask for other people's "spooky" stories to convince you to carry a weapon! plain and simple, you have the RIGHT to carry, if YOU feel the need to carry then carry! if not then DONT.

As far as "risk" goes, WHAT RISK? if your going "fishing" and need to pack, then were is the risk? there is no reason that weapon should be pulled unless in an immediate life or death situation, if it is exposed otherwise then you are to irresponsible to carry and should not have a weapon. relating risk on the river because of a irresponsible gun owner and easy access to a child which turned into a bad situation has absolutely zero relation to outdoors man carrying a weapon.

As the saying goes better to have and not need then to need and not have! as for me yes I pack when I am alone, you just never know anymore with all these car thefts, tweekers, people getting mugged and left for dead the world just isnt what it used to be! does that mean I am out looking for trouble? no. Have I ever had to pull my weapon? no. Have I been in confrontations? yes but it was never a life or death situation so there was no need to pull a piece! its CALLED responsibility,

my personal opinion is after looking at your prvious posts, and now wanting peoples spooky stories to convince you to carry well someone like that should just NOT carry a weapon :twocents:

The thing is there is a million things that can happen! is it likely they will no probably not, but the possibility of it happening is there! do car wrecks happen everyday? YES does this mean I am not going to drive because I might get in a wreck? NO, I just prepare myself. same with being in the woods, is it possible something can happen? yes that is why I am prepared better to be safe then sorry! this of course only pretains to responsible people

#8 ·
Had an incedent about 5 years ago on the upper queets, pulled the boat on a gravelbar to take a leak break. and when I turned around there was a cougar right along side of my boat. He wouldnt leave cause there was food in it as well as fish. so I took a shot to scare it away. it left in a hurry. the park ranger wasnt to happy about pulling out the gun. he was in the woods watching the nice thing was he didnt right me a ticket, just a warning, and a few years before that we were up on an ak river and a brown bear came charging out and wanted us to leave the guide shot at it and he didnt leave so we swam across the river and waited for him to leave not fun.:meme:

#48 ·
i was fishing on the kalama few years ago an another fellow caught a springer an put in his backpack an started walking up the trail when a couger jumped on his back knocking him to the ground , then juped off him an diapeared into the brush,but he was lucky he had that back pack on because the 4 slits that was on the pack was about 5 inches long , could have easlie have serously injured him excepyt for pack on his back.

#10 ·
I too have never had a close call that required me use my weapon and I like to think it's because tweaks and criminals pretty much know a lot of outdoorsmen carry out in the field. So they know there's a huge risk if they wanted to mug any of us. Plus how many hunters or fishermen carry a load of cash on them out in the field? :)
I have however returned to my vehicle and find my windows busted out. Nothing was stolen because I don't normally go fishing or camping with my Ipod, Laptop or anything of much hawkable value. In my opinion most of the theves prefer stalking ATM's and eyeing easy prey. Small women, elderly etc.
In terms of carrying or not it's really up to you. If you don't feel the need and you are confident that you can defend yourself or loved ones easily without the need to carry, then don't. I carry because it provides a sense of security for me my family and anyone else I fish and camp with. If your educated and know how to safely handle a firearm there's nothing wrong with having one, it's a tool and perfectly safe in the hands of the responsible. I think of carrying afield, like having insurance. You may never get in a wreck but it's good to know you have it if you need it. ~FireSweep

#11 ·
I have fished my whole life and never carried a weapon. I have had a few disagreements with folks over the years here and there but nothing that wasn't settled with a few words.

However, I am sure if a person lived long enough they would eventually run into a situation where they did need one. I have guns and have thought about bringing them along but each time I change my mind thinking that a gun in my person is likely more of a liability than something for security..........just my humble opinion.

RM

#12 ·
Fishing remote river Northeast Oregon. A log jam in the river. Leaped over the log jam and was face to face with a bear cub, 10 feet didn't see mama. Had the .44 on my side. Never thought I could move up over a log jam as fast as I did while pulling my .44. I landed and ran to the most open area of the river bed and aimed at the log jam waiting for mama to come over. Luckily she and cub decided to scamper up the hill instead. I am greatful she took that path but was glad I had the .44 along.

#14 · (Edited)
dont really know where to start and dont want to be inflamitory but i believe the old adage better to have and not need than need and not have i have had my concieled for 17 years and cant remember the last time i actually carried it but when i feel i need it in my truck or boat i know its there and with all do respect greek i personally would always look for a way out of a situation other than shooting someone and the laws on lethel force are VERY clear so pulling a gun on someone HAS to be a life or death situation you shoot someone illegaly and your busted bigtime very clear definitions on the matter and any wack job or homicidal maniac isnt going to abide by those laws anyway that is why sane people are allowed to carry IF THEY SO CHOOSE i personally represent no danger to myself or anyone else with my pistol unless the line is crossed then your gonna get the air let out of you because i will be at home with my family that night and you wont!

#15 ·
Never needed a gun while fishing, but in these times, I am glad I strap on my AR when I hit the Wilson!! Tight lines!

#16 ·
I've never felt the need for myself. I've always thought that the risk outweighed the threat.
But, I do have a child now, which has changed the way I assess risk.
That being said, I'm open minded to the possibility of carrying in the field, and on the water some day when he is along.

I'd like to hear more.
As for Cougar's, the one time I came across one, I was glad to have the Gerber Gator ready. Of course he or she had 8 Gerber Gators ready to go, but luckily it never got that far along. Could have used something that day.

#17 · (Edited by Moderator)
everyone keeps talking about the "risk" involved in carrying a gun what risk? assuming your not an idiot and shoot yourself what ever happened to people being responsible for themselves? and keeping an eye on those around you. have we all gotten that lame? the people i associate with and myself included pose NO risk with our firearms NONE at all this is still America right? second amendment right? laws we HAVE to observe right? be a law abiding citizen and live within the confines of those laws and THINK for yourseves meaning if its legal and you want to carry DO IT and if you arent legal or choose not to carry than by all means DONT

#18 ·
everyone keeps talking about the "risk" involved in carrying a gun what risk? assuming your not an idiot and shoot yourself what ever happened to people being responsible for themselves? and keeping an eye on those around you. have we all gotten that lame? the people i associate with and myself included pose NO risk with our firearms NONE at all this is still America right? second amendment right? laws we HAVE to observe right? Be a law abiding citizen and live within the confines of those laws and THINK for yourseves meaning if its legal and you want to carry DO IT and if you arent legal or choose not to carry than by all means DONT

When I was 5 and my sister was 7, our cousin showed us his Dad's .38 that he kept in the Winnebago. Our cousin, who was 12, pointed the gun at us assuring it was not loaded, and sure enough, it went off, hitting the windshield between us. That is the risk, we speak of. My Uncle and Dad came to blows over this, and up until the day he died of testicular cancer at age 36, my uncle swore the gun was always unloaded and locked in the glove box.
Well it wasn't that day.

#19 ·
I was fishing up at marmont dam on the sandy I was walking down a path and some how startled a momma black bear and two cubs. the cubs ran off while the momma stayed to keep and eye on me and stair me down. I am glad I had my .45 on me and Im even more glad that I did not have to use it. I was able to back away slowly and she let me leave. Ever since that incident I always take one with me.

#20 ·
once again that is a matter of personal responsibility my guns have been in a safe every since i became a father if the crap ever hits the fan and your not packn be`cause of a chilhood memory that was the fault of an IRRESPONSIBLE gun owner you might not be comin home that night owning firearms is a major responsibility that you have to get right every time if you cant handle that then by all means do not own or carry a gun this all seams pretty clear to me honestly am i the only one who sees things this way?

#26 ·
I do carry while out fishing or hiking. I have had a few encounters with bears and large cats, I have never had to use my gun during these encounters, but it was nice to know I had it if I needed it. And in all encounters it was a choice not to use it, it could easily have gone the other way.

#27 ·
I was 16, 5 years ago. Fishing near Astoria on a early morning. Landed 1st steelhead. Let it bleed on the bank. Cast out, hook up. Here something behind me in the brush. Continue fighting fish and land it. While bleeding it, I keep hearing something getting closer (this all takes place in 10min). There was an embankment between me and the brush. Grab my fish and start walking along the trail to the the truck 3/4mi. Here the animal following me, can see the grass (waist high) moving in my direction. I get nervous and ran as fast as ever while carrying two fish and a rod/reel. The animal follows me, getting real close now. I get to an open feild, run to the middle and the cougar stayed on the border were it becomes open field and brush. Since then I went out a bought a .357 and usually carry it while fishing select rivers/creeks, boating or banking. Not all the time but most. I carry for the sense of having a back up plan and the safety for me. I only carry a firearm while fishing, as I am not licensed to carry concealed.

One rule I abide by always: Do not give the animal my catch!

I have been to Alaska with bears 3-5 feet in front of me, while holding 3 fish. I was unarmed. Buddy had a gun, but was 20 feet away in a bag. It depends on the circumstances.

#28 ·
I think that personally when carrying I am more cautious, not less cautious, about avoiding confrontations. As some have stated, if you're carrying, any fight can become a gunfight. Simple solution... don't get in a fight. I'm not a confrontational guy to begin with and have never gone looking for a fight. But if I need to, I'll defend myself and my family without question.

I started carrying because I sometimes launch in places where I'm the only boat returning to the launch and sometimes after dark. At first I thought I'd likely just carry when going to those places. Then I realized the time you're really going to need it - hopefully never - will probably be when you least expect it.

Be courteous - always.
Be careful - always.
Be prepared - always.

#30 ·
I think that personally when carrying I am more cautious, not less cautious, about avoiding confrontations. As some have stated, if you're carrying, any fight can become a gunfight. Simple solution... don't get in a fight. I'm not a confrontational guy to begin with and have never gone looking for a fight. But if I need to, I'll defend myself and my family without question.

I started carrying because I sometimes launch in places where I'm the only boat returning to the launch and sometimes after dark. At first I thought I'd likely just carry when going to those places. Then I realized the time you're really going to need it - hopefully never - will probably be when you least expect it.

Be courteous - always.
Be careful - always.
Be prepared - always.

precisely my point! and sorry everybody im done ranting I get a little intense on this subject

#31 ·
I had an expirience fishing a remote area where a friend was attacked by a large (and probably feral) dog. Ripped the hell out of his waders and pulled him down, but didn't make it through the neoprene, jeans, and long johns to break skin. We shot the dog and reported it to OSP. Pretty scary.

Only happened to be carrying a shotgun because it was a 'cast and blast' trip over east.

- Brad

#32 ·
I like what starfish said, be courtious, and so on, also learn how to use them take a class, theres alot of people out there that really dont know gun safety and cant shoot straight to save there sole and that could be dangerous. theres a time and a place for them, I only pack when Im fishing or hunting for safety agianst predetors, I rarely pack in town, to many crazys out there and dont want to get in a bad situation cause if I pull it I"ll shoot. so I take myself out of the situation, If you buy a hand gun please learn how to use it.:applause:

#33 ·
I dont really see the big deal. If you wanna pack then pack if not well then thats your choice.Only problem I see is if there is people who are gun happy and think they are all big and bad because they pack... those are probably the ones who will draw up just because or when its unnecessary. But hey thats just what I think. I was raised not to point guns at others and if I did it was because it was a life and death situation.

#34 ·
I mostly pack when I go out to the ocean, not for self defense or to shoot something but for a distress signal.

But no there's never been a time where I needed a gun. I think there's a lot of people out there that would pull a gun if they got into a fist fight. I don't think that's a good enough reason. Even if you are getting beat up.

#42 ·
I mostly pack when I go out to the ocean, not for self defense or to shoot something but for a distress signal.

But no there's never been a time where I needed a gun. I think there's a lot of people out there that would pull a gun if they got into a fist fight. I don't think that's a good enough reason. Even if you are getting beat up.
I think the majority of the people that do carry are smarter than that, and would never consider that. Unfortunately I've heard this before, and do take offense at times that there are those that assume that people carrying guns are all neandrathals and aren't smart enough to know how or when to use a gun.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.