IFish Fishing Forum banner

Oxbow to Dabney

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Mrdorkfish 
#1 Ā·
I'm thinking of floating it on Monday. Any advice? I've never drifted it before and I know the water is kind of low.

Thanks

#4 Ā·
You should be able to safely follow the Presidents Day Armada down the river.

Every one with a Monday off will be on the water regardless of conditions so you'll have plenty of company and advice on the water.

Have fun and bring some warm coffee and patience.

#7 Ā·
Drifted it today for the first time. It's pretty easy. You will drag a little in a couple of places but overall no biggie. Good luck with the wind. We went from Oxbow to Lewis and Clark today. The wind was difficult to deal with even above Dabney. Didnt see any fish caught and only saw one small 3lb fish caught by someone with one of the Glass guides. Did see about 300 suckers in one hole close to Oxbow. Water temp was 42 degrees.

#8 Ā·
For a novice rower this is a great drift. The difficulty level is very low but you can get some great experiance on the oars and have a chance at a couple of fish. Don't be afraid to pull off and try some bobber jig fishing along the way. These low clear conditions are perfect for throwing smaller 1/16 or 1/4 oz jigs. Good luck.

#9 Ā·
For a novice rower this is a great drift. The difficulty level is very low but you can get some great experiance on the oars and have a chance at a couple of fish. Don't be afraid to pull off and try some bobber jig fishing along the way. These low clear conditions are perfect for throwing smaller 1/16 or 1/4 oz jigs. Good luck.
These low conditions can also pose problems in a few spots for novice rowers. A few spots now are real narrow so if your turned in the wrong direction going in look out, hold on, and make sure your rods are down low. :twocents:

#10 Ā·
Thanks again for all the info! I drifted it today with a couple of buddies. The wind was really a challenge for most of the day but overall, the weather was fine, enjoyed the company and the drift, but no fish...We saw about 7-8 other boats and didn't talk to anyone that had caught any.

There were a couple of spots that were pretty tight due to the low water but we managed to row through all of them.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.