IFish Fishing Forum banner

How to fish Suspended fish on anchor

2K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Starfish 
#1 ·
Planning for springers this year and a couple thoughts crossed my mind about last season.

1) I heard many succesful reports about fishing with what I consider to be ridiculously long droppers (IE 6 feet or better) with wobblers or kwikies.

2) Also heard many reports of trolled herring being the key for suspended fish.

This brings me to my question for this year. I am wondering if there is any reason why one wouldn't fish a jet diver with herring or prawn spinner while on anchor? Seems like you could control your depth pretty easily by measuring line out and line angle when targeting suspended fish and it would also impart some movement to the offering as it swirls in the current. Also seems like it would give you a better feel for what your offering is doing since the diver would be on a sliding dropper rather than a spreader or three way swivel?

As a relative new comer to springers, am I out of my mind with this logic or could this be a new go to method for dope on a rope antics?

Good luck to all of you this season such as it is.....

See less See more
#4 ·
What's the matter with using "ridiculously" long droppers? Most all of us do in the fall without any problems. Cripes..I've used droppers for springers in past years that were twice that long with great success and no trouble at all.

You'll never really know for sure exactly what depth you're fishing with a diver..whereas you'll always know with a dropper.

Just my :twocents:

Mark

#6 ·
What's the matter with using "ridiculously" long droppers? Most all of us do in the fall without any problems. Cripes..I've used droppers for springers in past years that were twice that long with great success and no trouble at all.

You'll never really know for sure exactly what depth you're fishing with a diver..whereas you'll always know with a dropper.

Just my :twocents:

Mark
Depends on your definition of ridiculously long. If anchored in over twenty five feet and the fish were running at 15 or so, that dropper might have to be a bit too ridiculously long.

#5 ·
I have had a couple years where I actually got lucky fishing divers on anchor. It was fall however. My youngest daughter was having a heck of a time reeling up her rig with a pound of lead on while fishing 44' of water of off Sundial. I consistently had marked a stream of fish traveling in the 20 to 24 range, so I put a Deep Six on her mainline with 6' of leader to an Alvin. I adjusted the 'trip screw' lightly and thought, "at least she now can reel in quickly with the next fish on". 13 pulls put her in the zone and her rod started going off repeatedly. Ended the day with some hand offs to her uncle,too. This seemed to work for about 2 weekends. Had the same success a year later with the same scenario. I have since tried it again on a variety of occasions and not really had much luck :(
....but it is worth a try when the FF shows middle ground travelers.

#10 ·
I have had a couple years where I actually got lucky fishing divers on anchor. It was fall however. My youngest daughter was having a heck of a time reeling up her rig with a pound of lead on while fishing 44' of water of off Sundial. I consistently had marked a stream of fish traveling in the 20 to 24 range, so I put a Deep Six on her mainline with 6' of leader to an Alvin. I adjusted the 'trip screw' lightly and thought, "at least she now can reel in quickly with the next fish on". 13 pulls put her in the zone and her rod started going off repeatedly. Ended the day with some hand offs to her uncle,too. This seemed to work for about 2 weekends. Had the same success a year later with the same scenario. I have since tried it again on a variety of occasions and not really had much luck :(
....but it is worth a try when the FF shows middle ground travelers.
We used to use nothing but deep 6 divers and wablers. 30 feet of water 30 feet of line, nailed the crap out of the fall fish. now it all seams to be back bouncing and trolling. some things just change.
luke

#13 ·
The dropper on a jet diver just about never tangles with a kwikfish, you can run it anywhere from 8 to 40 inches. I do sometimes have trouble with tangles between a jet diver and a plug cut herring (if the diver hits bottom and floats up into the leader) so I usually either make sure I'm using a diver that won't dive all the way to the bottom, or run them inline with no dropper when I'm running herring. I'm curious to know if others have had that problem.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.