IFish Fishing Forum banner

Smelt Report Friday the 13th

2K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  Ripthemlips 
#1 ·
Looks to be a waste of time tomorrow.
WDFW didn't bother to send a test dipper out yesterday and they aren't going to send one today.
No commercial catches of smelt reported to WDFW this week.

I've heard of a little bird activity this past week but not enough to get excited about.
Scouted it last night and this morning but didn't see much but fish eating cormorants around.

Ran into some sturgeon fishermen and sturgeon fishing is really sloooooow!
Talked to one sturgeon fisherman that claims he has been illegaglly dipping a hand full of smelt every night near Carnival Market which is near where he lives.
I don't think he was BS'ing so I think there is a few in there but not worth the time.

The Gearhart Gardens boat ramp is the worst I've ever seen it!
It's unusable.
Here's a cell phone pic I took of it just a little while ago when I was down there scouting smelt.

So much for the dredging, eh?

Here's the fishing report from this morning's Dailey News:

Fishing Report

Friday, February 13, 2009 8:43 AM PST

By The Daily News

Printable versionE-mail this article0 comment(s)
Font Size:

Reports of sport angler checks from the past week and related information provided by the Washington Department of Fish and Wildlife.

Columbia River sturgeon

In 2009, from Bonneville Dam downstream to the Wauna powerlines, open to sturgeon retention Thursdays through Saturdays (not Sundays through July 31 and Oct. 1-Dec. 31. 38-inch minimum fork length and 54-inch maximum fork length.

In 2009, below Wauna, sturgeon retention open Jan. 1-April 30 and May 9-June 28 and July 2-5, or until guideline met. 54-inch maximum fork length. 38-inch minimum fork length Jan. 1-April 30; 41-inch minimum fork length after May 8.

10 bank anglers near Longview and 8 just below Bonneville had no catch.

Columbia River salmonids: The first three commercial spring chinook of the year have been landed.

Cowlitz River: The first 6 late winter steelhead returned to the salmon hatchery on Feb. 4.

For current river flow information, call (888) 502-8690.

HorseshoeLake: Planted with 40 broodstock trout averaging 5 pounds each last week.

DFW recording: For recent catch information, trout plants and current fishing regulations, call (360) 696-6211 ext. 1010. For commercial fishing seasons, call (360) 902-2500.
Unless things change between now and tomorrow morning (which I doubt), I wouldn't bother with the idea of dipping some smelt.

Dano

See less See more
#4 ·
I have my 20lbs of fresh caught smelt coming this week. The pickup happened today. A local guide got mine for me. I heard they netted some this week.:shrug:

#5 ·
I have my 20lbs of fresh caught smelt coming this week. The pickup happened today. A local guide got mine for me. I heard they netted some this week.:shrug:
Well that is interesting since I was told by Karen in the WDFW Vancouver office today that no commercial reporting this week.
Maybe it's a little of that non transparency, non reporting business. :D

But that was Washington.
Did your smelt come from Oregon?
Maybe some of the Oregon commercials got some this week and Washington side didn't?
We did see that take place about a month ago.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.