IFish Fishing Forum banner

Lamiglas Cert Pro Reel Seats

8K views 34 replies 24 participants last post by  StickFish 
#1 ·
I love my Cert Pro's.................except the reel seats. They are constantly coming loose. Anyone else experience the problem or have a good fix?
Thanks

#2 ·
No problems with mine so far.
DAB

#4 ·
Thanks, but I think I may have asked the question wrong. My problem isn't that the reel seat is becoming unglued, but that the ring you turn to tighten the (spinning) reel to the rod won't stay tight. With both my CP's I'm tightening that ring every 10 minutes.:passout:

#7 ·
Thanks, but I think I may have asked the question wrong. My problem isn't that the reel seat is becoming unglued, but that the ring you turn to tighten the (spinning) reel to the rod won't stay tight. With both my CP's I'm tightening that ring every 10 minutes.:passout:
I see...it might be that the reel you are using does not fit properly in the reel seat...not a problem I've ever had before on a casting rod, though I did once have a flyfishing setup that the reel was too small for the reel seat and would rattle loose...

You can either put a couple of wraps around the reel seat screw on the rod once the reel is on there, or try a little electrical tape on the reel foot to bulk it up a bit, and then put it on there and crank it down. Another option might be to put a few wraps of tape around the reel seat itself to build it up a bit and make the space for the reel foot to sit in a little tighter and then crank it down.

Good luck!

Fish on...

Todd

#8 ·
Try about 3 wraps of the latex plumbers tape around the threads before screwing down the ring. The surface hardened graphite reel seat components are slippery and do not want to bind when tightened. Plumbers tape stretched tightly should do the trick.

I have not had the problem with Lami's. But it was an issue with a couple Loomis HSR9000's. I fixed those threads with a bit of marine silicon caulk. It held well and peeled off cleanly when the reel was removed.

H
T

#9 ·
Try about 3 wraps of the latex plumbers tape around the threads before screwing down the ring. The surface hardened graphite reel seat components are slippery and do not want to bind when tightened. Plumbers tape stretched tightly should do the trick.

I have not had the problem with Lami's. But it was an issue with a couple Loomis HSR9000's. I fixed those threads with a bit of marine silicon caulk. It held well and peeled off cleanly when the reel was removed.

H
T
Good idea!

Fish on...

Todd

#12 ·
Just googled this since I have 4 Kenai Kwik rods and all 4 have issues with the nuts backing off. Annoying!!!!

Lamiglas needs to fix this problem. Other guys I fish with have similar problems with their rods as well!!
Its not the rod makers its the reel seats. I have several rods that do this from my lamis,loomis to the cheap ones. Its the plastic reel seats I think the just slip

#15 ·
I've had a Cert Pro (Mag X 89) for about 10 or so years. It's my go-to rod for most of the fishing I do and I've never once had a reel come loose.

#18 · (Edited)
The Certified Pros use Fuji reel seats. There are not really any better options for a good lightweight reel seat. There are other options that are just as good but not better. The problem you are having is usually caused by a poor fitment between the reel seat and the reel foot. Shimano is the company we most commonly see this issues with, as they seem to change their reel foot shape more than anyone else. Great reels though. The reel seat manufactures have a hard time keeping up with the changing reel foot sizes and shapes while still fitting older reels out there. The easy fix is to just run the Teflon tape and be done with it. You can’t even see it once it is applied correctly. If that does not work building the front or back end of the foot up with a little electrical tap usually fixes it also. All real seats will never fit all reels. We are just able to have all real seats fit 90% plus percent of the reels out there perfectly.

#19 · (Edited)
I think every Lamiglas rod I own with a Shimano reel on it has a plastic shim under the reelfoot to keep the reel tight on the rod. It''s not a difficult fix. Use the reelfoot as a template to cut a piece out of an empty plastic milk container. Put it under the reelfoot and tight the ring. And your reel won't budge. And nobody will know its there.....

Strange that if the company KNOWS its a potential problem, why isn't a plastic shim overpacked with each rod? Just sayin.....

#21 ·
I think every Lamiglas rod I own with a Shimano reel on it has a plastic shim under the reelfoot to keep the reel tight on the rod. It''s not a difficult fix. Use the reelfoot as a template to cut a piece out of an empty plastic milk container. Put it under the reelfoot and tight the ring. And your reel won't budge. And nobody will know its there.....

Strange that if the company KNOWS its a potential problem, why isn't a plastic shim overpacked with each rod? Just sayin.....
I wouldn't think it would be up to the rod company to send a REELfoot shim. He already said the reel companies change the shape of the reelfoot frequently. Then people would just complain that the shim that came with their rod was the wrong shape. Just sayin.....

#20 ·
Checking the reel seat is no big deal, something I just do. Same as checking a hook to see if it's still sharp after being hung up, something we just do. If I ever actually had a reel fall off, I'd blame it on me, not the reel seat. It's such and easy fix, it shouldn't be seen as a problem.

#24 ·
A couple products come to mind. Rescue Tape or a self Vulcanizing tape. You can find it at the sportsman show for some big bucks in different colors, or you can go to the big box store and you should find some white or nearly clear in the PVC pipe area. A few tight wraps of that should do the trick and won't leave any goo like electrical tape will.

If you never want to take the reel off - Rod Bond would work great:cool:

From the sounds of the rods, they are flexing well through the handle and with the reel on the outside of the arch the distance becomes a little longer due to tension and a little shorter on the bottom due to compression - work it back and forth some and that single lock nut is going to move.

Josh, maybe an easy fix would be to get some 2nd lock rings (thin) and add a derlin spacer between them like the Alps and Pacbay aluminum seats. You could modify the factory one prior to assembly by cutting it in half and adding the extra ring - hard to do in a production shop - I know.

Also guys the Tekota 500 just doesn't fit on anything less than a 20mm Fuji reel seat.

#31 ·
I would bet that most of the issues are from overtight reels seats. Once yiu over do it they get loose and you can fix them. You should just snug the seat down and check it every so offen. If you use alot of hard cranking on a fish it will loosen so try to use skill over force and your equipment will last longer.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.