IFish Fishing Forum banner

2 or 3 Hook MOoching Rig?

12K views 42 replies 28 participants last post by  Fly Junkie 
#1 Ā·
I've been trollinf for Springers since about the time I could walk and I've almost always used 2 4/0 Gami's for trolling for Spiringers. I've always thought I did as well or better than ost as far as getting the bites, but recently I've seen a more and more people switching to 3 hook rigs instead.
In theory 3 should get more than 2, but is it worth the extra snags and if you let the rod load and don't jerk it away does it really make a difference?
I thought I'd ask before I sit down with a couple 100 hook boxes of Gami's and started my mooching rig tying session:passout:
JD

#5 Ā·
I've been trollinf for Springers since about the time I could walk and I've almost always used 2 4/0 Gami's for trolling for Spiringers. I've always thought I did as well or better than ost as far as getting the bites, but recently I've seen a more and more people switching to 3 hook rigs instead.
In theory 3 should get more than 2, but is it worth the extra snags and if you let the rod load and don't jerk it away does it really make a difference?
I thought I'd ask before I sit down with a couple 100 hook boxes of Gami's and started my mooching rig tying session:passout:
JD
A prominent, highly successful, (and currently VERY agitated) ifish guide, who grew up in your neighborhood, told me he hooks about 15% of his fish on the third hook.

Try it. If you like the way they spin and you get bit, use it.

#13 Ā·
I'll stick with my two hook rig. Nonsence, in wasting valuable fishing time to show the hook was lodged from the inside out when checked multiple times the same day; on the water, at the dock,at the RV, and again at the gas station.

Presentation is everything.:twocents:

#15 Ā·
I to went to a 3 hook set up last year and boy did it make a difference as far as getting them in the net I think we only lost 2 all year and those were break offs :( which was kind off strange.

#18 Ā·
I will only run a 3 hook rig for springers, as long as it is legal. I would have to say that over 50% of my fish are only on that back hook.

Good observation, Joe.

I would say that whether you opt for 2 or 3, it's the trailer that will hook the lions share of the fish.

Personally, I use 2 hooks. Trailer has nabbed well over 90% of every salmon ever caught on my boat. In my experience, the front hook is only there to hold the bait.... back hook is there to catch the fish.

#19 Ā·
BTW those are barbless Mustad hooks.:crazy:

Look, I supported the leave the wild fish in the water rule. So, it is natural for me to minimize my impact by pinching down the barbs.:twocents:

No love from the Harvest Management folks at DFW. Pray someday they will get a clue, rather than waiting for the 2012 changes.

Hans Mak

#20 Ā·
I run a 2 hook rig, nothing at all wrong with a 3 hook rig.

The most important part is to build your mooching rigs to fit the bait size....you want the trailing hook to be at the very back of the bait (tail) after you have rig your bait.

If you hook spacing is not far enough apart, and the trailing hook is not placed right, and you get a short biter....the fish may not get hooked up.

Also 50% of the time the only hook in my bait is the forward hook, my trailing hook is free. I like the spin I get rigging that way.

Corkies are good......a chrome one on the front of the rig will work....:D

#21 Ā·
I stand corrected. That prominent guide gets 50% of his fish on the third hook.

Slabhunter-by running your second hook right at the tail you accomplish much the same effect as a third hook. But don't you know if you're not using a plug cut you're in violation of the basic rule of springer fishing?:wink:

#22 Ā·
I stand corrected. That prominent guide gets 50% of his fish on the third hook.

Slabhunter-by running your second hook right at the tail you accomplish much the same effect as a third hook. But don't you know if you're not using a plug cut you're in violation of the basic rule of springer fishing?
Tell that to the walhanger I was blessed to land last season.
That's the great thing about fishing. You just never know when it will be your turn to be the hero or zero. Luck favors the prepared.:twocents:

#27 Ā·
Well, first of all for me to actually catch a spring salmon, I know I have to focus on the extra dumb & extra hungry ones.........they kinda match my own fishing experience...... dumb & hungry. Anyway, honestly, for springers, I usually land a fish that has the green label gagged all the way down;the top hook is pinned in his jaw with the bottom hook playing a back up role down in the throat somewhere. But maybe that is the fish's response to biting a whole bait on a slow roll.

When I fish cut-plug, I make a point of having the trailer about a hook's length behind the flashing bait.....and frequently it is just that dangling trailer that stings mr. springer, just long enough to get him in the boat. But in this case, that may be his short-nipping reaction to a fast moving & flashing bait. But in all cases, I just use a 2 hook mooching rig built with 4/0 Owner needle points.
Besides, tying, untangling and rigging a 3 hook rig for 5 people seems to be an additional pain in the ventril to me.

#29 Ā·
When I fish cut-plug, I make a point of having the trailer about a hook's length behind the flashing bait...........and frequently it is just that dangling trailer that stings mr. springer, just long enough to get him in the boat. But in this case, that may be his short-nipping reaction to a fast moving & flashing bait.
I agree 100%.

I started doing it that way for the very same reason... to up the odds on those short-strikers that want to just nudge up to nip at the herring's tail.

The hookups on those fish definitely improved, but over time there was an even BIGGER benefit to rigging with a long trailer hung way back there.

Easily 4 out of 5 fish are essentially "flossed" by the extra length of leader between the two hooks. In my boat, when a committed aggressive salmon finally chomps down on a herring rigged like that, most of the time it results in a hookup from the outside in. This has cut WAY down on the number of mortal bleeders in my boat.

This is an important consideration when fishing selectively. Mortal hookups are NOT desirable for fish that must be released.

If you are going to be trolling herring over fish that must be released.... ESA-listed springer, unclipped coho, or fall chinook that are no longer legal to keep... consider hanging that trailer WAY back there to minimize the risk of mortal hooking wounds

#30 Ā·
For Springers I've had my best luck with a 4/0 in the front and a 5/0 trailer. Tie it about an inch and a half longer than your bait after cutting but instead of letting it hang freely run it through the bait and out the other side back close to the tail. If I can find a pic i'll try to figure out how to post it. I'm not sure if it helps the hookup ratio but it gives the tail a little less whip and slows your roll. Good luck homes. RD

#31 Ā·
JD

The underwater videos show that salmon often make a first run at a baitfish and try to disable the tail. The hook that is aft of the bait- whether the second hook tied farther apart or a third hook- is the hook that will often get those fish on the first pass.

I use a two hook rig but let the second hook trail free just behind the tail. I seem to get a tighter roll like that. Last year I caught fish with every combo possible- rear hook only, front and rear, or front only. There was no higher rate of hook up on one or the other.

Part of the reason why some people may report a higher hookup rate on just the rear hook may be the size of bait they run. I'd expect that people spinning a whole herring may catch more on the rear hook as the fish is doing a disabling first pass. I use a smaller cut plug than most of the guys I fish with (I usually take the tail off as well) so maybe the fish that hit my bait have better odds of getting both hooks.

If I was going to space the trailing hook an inch or more aft of the bait, I'd run a three hook rig. I was very satisfied last season with the hookup percentage on the gear I ran- but I think everyone did well last year. There were a couple of guys that fished with me that ran three hook rigs- they didn't do any better or worse than I did (we all caught our one fish apiece).

Definitely do not want to increase mortality on released fish though.

regards, aw

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.