IFish Fishing Forum banner

anyone still fish with Fenwick rods??

60K views 118 replies 100 participants last post by  ccw 
#1 · (Edited)
I have a 9' HMG spinning rod that is about 15 years old. I absolutly love it. It seemed they were more popular back then. Anyone else??

How do you compare them to new rods in the same price range? I keep thinking about updating my bobber rod (longer) but I don't know if it would make that much difference.

#2 ·
I have an FS 85 I believe (I am at work so going off memory) casting rod that I absolutely love
It is 20+ years old
I use it for drift fishing, pulling plugs, and once in awhile I fish for bottom fish with it

I would not sell it for less than $500

#4 ·
I still have an old Fenwick that I used as a downrigger rod, but the recent rods from Lamiglas are better, IMHO. Some nice nostalgia there, tho! They used to be the class of the bunch. Phil Clock bought the company in the 1960's, and moved it from Kent, Wa to Westminster in about 1968. (The company was named after fenwick lake) THe HMG and E-glass rods have a high reputation. Current rods (since 2000) are made in China and are so-so. But a 1980's HMG or Fenglass is worth picking up at Craigslist, if you can find one!

#8 ·
My folks (RIP) gave me a custom built "steelie" rod in 1982. Stan, (of Stan's Custom Rods, Grants Pass), worked in the mill with my dad, and he built some real sweet deals out of Fenwick components. This one goes with me wherever, whether I use it or not! And it always will...!

Have a beautiful 8wt fly rod he built for me, and I love that one too!

S

#10 ·
I have 2, 7ft Fenwick Eagle GLC's one spinning and one baitcaster. Granted they were cheep but to me they are great rods! I love them and wouldn't think about getting rid of them.

I also had a 4'2 UL Fenwick Eagle that I used for mackeral, small baracuda and bonita.

#14 ·
I have a 8' fly rod I got from my dad. He thinks he bought it in the late 70's or early 80's. The line rating is 7-8 but I use it for trout fishing and it performs great. A good size trout puts a good bend on it. I am tempted to retire it as I have been in many fly shops and they have the same rod hanging on there walls. I am suprised by the quality of fenwick rods to perform so great afetr so many years.

#16 ·
My dad was/is a Fenwick guy, going back to the early 70s... still uses the old brownish E-glass rods over any of them newfangled graphite thingies.

I have a couple of the original Eagle graphites from the early 80s when they were still US-made, plus one newer late-90s HMG I really like. Kinda disappointing what's become of the more recent stuff...

#18 ·
I have four FS 83C's and a 7ft. plug rod with the painted tip. I use them for plugging. The little 7fter has caught many many Steelies. The old glass Fenwicks give you the best action for plugging. My first Steelhead rod was a FS 83C and a black Ambassadeur 5000C with the pearl handle. Still have them and they still work.:D

#19 ·
I've got an old GFS 83 that's helped put a few fish on the bank through the years. It's easy to identify because the cork handle is partly worn down from rubbing against a full plaster arm cast. I'd broken my elbow at work back in 1985 but still managed to cast out into the river. Passion over matter, I reckon. :wink:

#20 ·
Back in my plug pulling days, the FS83 was the best plug rod out there...Lamiglas has modeled their Classic Glass series after the FS line of Fenwick rods...if you are looking for a rod just like the FS83, check out the CG82DR...excellent plug rod!

Fish on...

Todd

#23 ·
i've got an FS79C that i built for drift fishing small streams. however, the fish never showed in the river i intended to use it in, so it's been spending a lot of time in the corner.

might have to take it out on the cowlitz and try pulling wiggle warts if the late steelhead ever show up!

#26 ·
I still have the second GFS 83C I bought back in 79. It’s been retired for some time and now lives safely in its aluminum tube. That rod and I did some serious damage over the years. Too much sentimental value to risk breaking it now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.