IFish Fishing Forum banner

senator proposes outlawing gillnetting

4K views 43 replies 38 participants last post by  Fish Hawk Adventures 
#1 Ā·
Oregon state senator proposes outlawing gillnetting

Senator Fred Girod (R-Lyons) introduced legislation Tuesday that would create a four pronged approach to bolstering Oregonā€™s deteriorating salmon and steelhead runs. The foundation of the plan is to outlaw gillnetting in Oregon. ā€œDoing nothing is not an option when it comes to Oregonā€™s devastated salmon runs,ā€ said Girod. ā€œWe have to make tough decisions. These four proposals will help to strengthen and protect what is not only one of our stateā€™s great natural resources but also a steady source of jobs to hundreds of local communities.ā€
The Girod Salmon and Steelhead Recovery Plan is built on four main proposals:

1. Outlaw gillnetting (SB 524). Gillnetting doesnā€™t discriminate between species and devastates all fish runs, not just the fish being targeted. A conversion to hook-and-line fishing only would give unwanted fish a chance to survive and increase the number of salmon in Oregon rivers.

2. Control predators (SJM 7). Girod also wants to control voracious predators that consume significant portions of salmon populations, like cormarants and sea lions. There were 1,000 sea lions when salmon runs were at their peak. Now there are over 300,000 sea lions.

3. Police offshore fishing by foreign fleets (SJM 8). Foreign fishing fleets currently fish uninhibited off the Oregon coast, despite federal limitations. The Coast Guard needs to be more aggressive about limiting foreign fishing in Oregon waters.

4. Allocate more money for researching smolt health and habitat (SB 525). There is much that remains unknown about the ideal methods and habitat for raising smolt, or baby fish. More research can help hatcheries adopt healthier practices and increase the odds of smolt surviving to adulthood.

ā€œThe ecosystem is out of balance right now, and salmon runs are the losers,ā€ said Girod. ā€œWe need to adjust our hatchery science, control predators and make sure we are fishing in a responsible way.ā€ The sports fishing industry is one of the economies most affected by declining salmon and steelhead populations. Sports fishing represents a cottage industry of small businesses that manufacture boats, rods and lures, grow and sell bait and offer guide services. There are an estimated 300,000 sports fishermen in Oregon whose hobby means real and lasting jobs in local economies.

ā€œAs long as giant gil nets wreck havoc on Oregon salmon populations we will not have sustainable fish runs,ā€ said Walt McGovern, an Oregon fishing legend who helped lead the struggle to protect steelhead. ā€œSenator Girodā€™s bill would bring balance to fish and hatchery management on the Columbia River. Iā€™ve helped Senator Girod land steelhead at Buoy 10, so his credentials on this issue are well established.ā€

copied w/ permission from KAST site (Astoria radio)

See less See more
#2 Ā·
This is an excellent step in the right direction. There is some serious work ahead and I hope his proposed legislation gets the support it needs to become a reality.

Orion

#9 Ā·
Here is the Senators email address. I just wrote him an Email telling him i support the bill you all should do the same:
sen.fredgirod@state.or.us
BluePig, if you're in Clatsop County as suggested by your avatar, your Senator is Betsy Johnson and your Representative is Brad Witt. They are the people that most need to hear from you. Particularly Sen.Johnson. Copies sent to the local paper are great too!

#12 Ā·
:bigshock:Quotes I thought I would never read from somebody in Senate.
Hopefully Girod can fullfill most of his suggestions. Powerful statements :applause:.

#13 Ā·
I do believe that I will fire off a nice email to this Mr. Girod, congratulating him on his heroic and common sense stand on this oh-so-critical issue.
Perhaps this is the start of something good. :twocents:

#14 Ā·
Maybe Bill can write a piece on this for the newspaper for those who are not internet savy or subscribe to Ifish. It is also first amendment friday on Lars and someone who is familiar with this bill should call in and discuss it. This sounds like a great plan and i will be writing in but only after I read the whole thing a couple of times. After all best to understand a thing before getting behind it so i dont sound like a complete idiot if asked by someone.

#16 Ā·
This kind of effort has happened before, and once made it to the State Ballot, and failed. Our current times are very different now, with CCA, and our ever declining Salmon/Steelhead returns. If this will get legs, and get out of Committee, to make it to the Senate floor for discussion, it will take a great deal of support from us Sports Fishermen. I hope this will get to the Senate Floor, I will make every effort to support this proposed legislation.:D

Kudos to: State Senator Fred Girod!!:applause::applause:

#19 Ā·
Senator Girod's bill is gaining support and momentum in Salem. Senator Girod is an enthusiastic sport fisherman, understands the issue and is committed to getting something done. No matter what camp you come from (SAFE For Salmon, CCA, Sen. Girod's bill) we all owe Sen. Girod a huge vote of thanks for his efforts. I've been very fortunate to meet with Sen. Girod several times and I can tell you he's working hard on your behalf and to the benefit of sport fishing interests across the state and region.

The session is well underway, several fishing bills are percolating right now and you can be part of the solution by weighing in with your state representative and state senator. Several of you have already and it's definitely making a difference. This is going to be a campaign that stretches over the next several months and it won't be easy but we're making headway daily.

All of us representing you in these issues in Salem are working very well together and thanks to a constant presence in the capitol with industry, sports anglers and conservation groups things are going well.

This won't be easy and we're far from done but this session is our best chance to do something positive and lasting for Columbia River fishing interests.

Please write your legislators today and continue to share with them your desire and vision for full Columbia River sport fishing seasons...every letter counts and is helping.

Need to find your legislator --- use this link (thanks Elk Hunter):
http://www.leg.state.or.us/findlegsltr/

Thank you.

All the best

Trey

#23 Ā·
Oregon state senator proposes outlawing gillnetting

Senator Fred Girod (R-Lyons) introduced legislation Tuesday that would create a four pronged approach to bolstering Oregonā€™s deteriorating salmon and steelhead runs. The foundation of the plan is to outlaw gillnetting in Oregon. ā€œDoing nothing is not an option when it comes to Oregonā€™s devastated salmon runs,ā€ said Girod. ā€œWe have to make tough decisions. These four proposals will help to strengthen and protect what is not only one of our stateā€™s great natural resources but also a steady source of jobs to hundreds of local communities.ā€
The Girod Salmon and Steelhead Recovery Plan is built on four main proposals:

1. Outlaw gillnetting (SB 524). Gillnetting doesnā€™t discriminate between species and devastates all fish runs, not just the fish being targeted. A conversion to hook-and-line fishing only would give unwanted fish a chance to survive and increase the number of salmon in Oregon rivers.

2. Control predators (SJM 7). Girod also wants to control voracious predators that consume significant portions of salmon populations, like cormarants and sea lions. There were 1,000 sea lions when salmon runs were at their peak. Now there are over 300,000 sea lions.

3. Police offshore fishing by foreign fleets (SJM 8). Foreign fishing fleets currently fish uninhibited off the Oregon coast, despite federal limitations. The Coast Guard needs to be more aggressive about limiting foreign fishing in Oregon waters.

4. Allocate more money for researching smolt health and habitat (SB 525). There is much that remains unknown about the ideal methods and habitat for raising smolt, or baby fish. More research can help hatcheries adopt healthier practices and increase the odds of smolt surviving to adulthood.

ā€œThe ecosystem is out of balance right now, and salmon runs are the losers,ā€ said Girod. ā€œWe need to adjust our hatchery science, control predators and make sure we are fishing in a responsible way.ā€ The sports fishing industry is one of the economies most affected by declining salmon and steelhead populations. Sports fishing represents a cottage industry of small businesses that manufacture boats, rods and lures, grow and sell bait and offer guide services. There are an estimated 300,000 sports fishermen in Oregon whose hobby means real and lasting jobs in local economies.

ā€œAs long as giant gil nets wreck havoc on Oregon salmon populations we will not have sustainable fish runs,ā€ said Walt McGovern, an Oregon fishing legend who helped lead the struggle to protect steelhead. ā€œSenator Girodā€™s bill would bring balance to fish and hatchery management on the Columbia River. Iā€™ve helped Senator Girod land steelhead at Buoy 10, so his credentials on this issue are well established.ā€

copied w/ permission from KAST site (Astoria radio)
WOW its about time someone from the Gov. is speaking out for the us the sports fisherman after all we pay for most of the cost to try and keep the fishing in Or.what can we do to help get all of his bills passed right on

#24 Ā·
This has been in the works for some time...I am surprised that many of you had not heard...when I wrote my letters to our legislators regarding my disappointment in the Oregon commission, I mentioned Sen. Girods pending proposal...each one of them responded that they would review it.
If you haven't already, send another letter to your representative regarding this proposal. You may be surprised with how many support a ban on gillnets...not commercial fishing, but gillnets...one responded that she was also disappointed with the commission, as they have not listened to the legislatures recommendations...she stated that the commissioners are appointed by the governor and report to him...ps, send a letter to the gov also, even though you'll only receive a "canned" response.

#28 Ā·
Where are the local merchants in this effort?
Solving this controversy is extremely important to many businesses throughout the region. There have been extensive lay-offs already and will be more if sensible management is not implemented.

I know a number of Oregon businesses, including the largest in the recreational fishing industry are very involved in Salem.

The fish processors are also very involved -- opposing any change that removes the gillnets from the mainstem and trying to maintain the status quo.

#29 Ā·
I have had the honor of introducing Senator Girod at a few of our CCA Chapter meetings where he spoke to our members about his bill.

I have pointed out that Senator Girod took the initiative to propose this bill because he cares about our salmon resources. He has been met with resisitance from his party, from ODFW and many outside sources telling him his effort was in vain. But he has dedicated himself to bringing this to light.

A politician doing what is right for no political advantage...novel thing in these times it seems.

I am thankfull to Sentor Girod for having the courage to speak up for the fish.

As Trey has said, there is more conversation in Salem this session about Oregon's fisheries than about any other time. Senator Girod has helped to bring light to how broken our fisheries management is. And how desperately we need to change for the hope of our fisheries in the future.

Thank you Senator Girod:applause:

#30 Ā·
A heartfelt thanks goes out to Sen Girod, sportfishers can sure use this type of support from the Legislature.
The more these law makers learn about this broken allocation system, the sooner they can effect change.
I worked the Sportsmen show, and I had at least 10 people tell me that they no longer took their fishing vacations in Oregon, but rather opted to go to BC and Alaska, where seasons are not abruptly closed.
When Oregonians can't take a vacation to go springer fishing, something needs some serious fixing.

#32 Ā·
I just sent my email to my state reps. Took me about five minutes and hopefully it will do some good. Off to write a quick thank you to Sen. Girod for submitting these measures.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.