IFish Fishing Forum banner

Question about Gillnetters

1K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Fishbulb 
#1 ·
Do the fish that the netters get from the Select Area Fisheries count against their Columbia impacts? I'm sure that they catch a lot of strays from the Columbia and Willamette during these fisheries.

#3 ·
The Slect Areas fisheries have the landings sampled for stock composition just like all mainstem CR fisheries. Impacts to non-local stocks are calculated via visual stock identification and coded wire tag recovery.

So yes. CR mainstem stocks exploited in Select Area fisheries are tallied and impacts are spent.

#5 ·
Kind of ironic yesterday at the hearing when I got surrounded by a number of gillnetters. I asked them about the SAFE areas and whether any cheating was going on. Several of the younger ones said there was and that was the reason the Tongue Point area got cut off. A few of the netters ventured out in the river, loaded their nets and came back into the area. Of course it skewed the results showing high straying factor, or a higher than normal amount of upriver fish.

Now answer me this? Can we afford to expand the SAFE areas?
Maybe in Youngs Bay or somewhere else less accessible to the mainstem.:twocents:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.