IFish Fishing Forum banner

My intro to ifish

4K views 44 replies 37 participants last post by  Dave G 
#1 ·
Ok, so I'm a little behind on getting this up, but I had stumbled upon a few good things I had to post on first. So on with my intro and fish story. Well I'm probably one of the few young females out there that LOVES fishing. Lets put it this way.....my husband bought me a necklace for christmas and I returned it for a tackle box!) My grandfather used to take me out for catfish all the time when I was a little kid and I was hooked ever since. Unfortunately I got away from it for a while and was fortunate to move away from the city life and here to the good old pacific northwest just a years ago. I was determind to get back to fishing. Well I met fellow ifisher Absolutefish just this past fourth of july and was invited out that weekend to go sturgeon fishing, something I had never done but was really excited to get back to fishing. So I met up with him and his dad and we launch from the Fishery early in the morning. It was the perfect day! Great weather, a good current and excellent company for fishing. We ran down river, found our spot to anchor and casted out. Chad (ifisher absolutefish) got the first fish and reeled in. This was great! We were only out there for a sort while and already the first fish of the day and then suddenly I was shocked when it appeared to me that he let it get away as he was removing the hook. Being the newbie that I was I promptly asked why he let it go and it was then that I was informed on the details of sturgeon fishing. So as the day went on we had some great bites and fights from a few shakers and then my rod gets a big hit!! I take it from the rod holder and wait for another hit as my trusty captain is coaching me on. The hit comes, I pull back and set the hook. With the rod bent and taking line on me it was giving a good fight. I was so excited that my first time out it appeared that I would be taking home my first keeper. Finally with gaining control of the reel and no longer taking line on me I could almost see it. With net in hand Chad kept coaching me and then there it was, my 50 inch + monster of a keeper.....that is if you needed new fire wood! :laugh:All that fight and excitement to find that my first catch was nothing but a beast of a log that I snagged on the bottom! After a few good laughs and its release I casted back out and cracked open a beer waiting for the real fish to come. It turned out to be a great day! All in all between the 3 of us we reeled in 30 shakers. While the only keeper that day was my log, I had a great time and made great new friends that day. What a way to get back to fishing! Now I go out just about every Friday before work. . . its always a great way to start the day! Thanks Chad!

Kristin :cheers:

See less See more
#3 · (Edited)
Great story and WELCOME to Ifish... I have long felt that the future of fishing comes from youth and increased involvment from women like yourself!

#10 ·
I hooked a stick on the Wilson that acted just like a fish for a few minutes. It was fun until I saw the stick.

Welcome to ifish. We need lots of people like you to get excited about fishing.

The family that fishes together stays together at least as long as they stay in the boat.:D

#27 ·
Welcome Keeper Girl! Hope you get the opportunity to go after the Springer run this year, if you haven’t caught one yet, and you do this year, you will be hooked for life. Springer’s are the prize of the NW!:meme::meme::meme:

Thanks to everyone for all the welcome! I have already read and learned a lot! I am really looking forward to the Springer run this year and can't wait to hook one!

#19 ·
.....my husband bought me a necklace for christmas and I returned it for a tackle box!

After a few good laughs and its release I casted back out and cracked open a beer waiting for the real fish to come.
:applause::applause::applause::applause: Do you give lessons on this? I would love to sign my wife up! She is an angel and my eternal love, but I wish she would get a little more passionate about fishing! Your hubby's a lucky dude :dance:!

#21 ·
:applause::applause::applause::applause: Do you give lessons on this? I would love to sign my wife up! She is an angel and my eternal love, but I wish she would get a little more passionate about fishing! Your hubby's a lucky dude :dance:!

LOL....the funny thing is my husband sounds like your wife. I took him out with me and my fishing buddies and he didn't really enjoy it. But I'm lucky that he at least supports me and lets me go out and have my fun....now I'm just trying to wear him down to get me a boat!

#25 ·
Ole granddad was a wise man he knew that if you get 'em interested young they will hold on to the joy for the rest of their life.
And welcome.:meme:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.