IFish Fishing Forum banner

Anchoring for the Mighty Springer

4K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  HOGTIDE 
#1 ·
Ok gentlemen, I have been here long enough to know I wont be getting anyones honey holes but was just curious what to look for if I were to anchor up in the Channel or lower Willy looking for a first Springer for me and maybe my wife, Probably be fishing some wrapped quickies or maybe a prawn spinner or two on the outgoing. I have figured out the fall fishery for the most part but have never attempted the spring one.

For now Im still chasing some Steel but a little later when more numbers of fish show would be good.

PMs are allways welcome :flowered:

MD

#4 ·
I was wondering the same thing, Both salmon and sturgeon, If anyone has a honey hole their willing to give up, I'd take it and give it a shot, but I certainly don't expect it. when fishing sturgeon, what should I be looking at? bottom structure or fish arches on the fishfinder. People say fish the holes, but I've caught shakers in 20 feet of sandy bottom. Should I be fishing the outgoing or incoming tide for sturgeon? I'd love to be catching double digit shakers or even larger keepers, even though I know that i probably wouldn't keep a keeper (last one I kept, I kinda felt guilty, you know, something like that living so long only to have me take it out, also not sure about eating something that's been sucking up polutants for 50 years). don't get me wrong, salmon/trout/steelhead keepers are gonna die, but I'd rather let the sturgeon go back to the water and hopefully catch it again. I'm only averaging one sturgeon, per 10 trips! I can't believe that is normal.

#6 ·
I like trolling because I believe I am putting my stuff in front of more fish that way but I know there are times that anchored kwikfish fishing is lights out.

When it comes to trolling or anchoring the current is the thing that makes the most difference. The tides will affect when and how you are fishing. It all depends on how fast your spinner or herring is spinning while trolling and whether you can keep your boat pointed in one direction (if anchored). While trolling, if I can't make much progress going upstream because the tide is out and the flows are moving pretty well I will troll downstream and then run back up.

#7 ·
Under the Sellwood Bridge is the ideal place to anchor......just proceed upstream until the deep water 20% off of mid channel abruptly comes to a defined ledge.Anchor far enough above that ledge so your baits will come exactly to the edge of the structural drop off when deployed. A pink prawn with a copper blade, just 18" off the bottom will do the trick for you, repeatedly,gauranteed! You will have no need to drop out to land your hooked fish as dozens of helpful fishermen will immediately pull along side of you to help out!!!!.....the best part is SELLWOD is HOT! Sellwood is ALWAYS Hot!!!

Ok,ok, I am messin' with ya. Don't do this....please, don't do this.
but............you know........it 'would' work :)

#10 ·
Under the Sellwood Bridge is the ideal place to anchor......just proceed upstream until the deep water 20% off of mid channel abruptly comes to a defined ledge.Anchor far enough above that ledge so your baits will come exactly to the edge of the structural drop off when deployed. A pink prawn with a copper blade, just 18" off the bottom will do the trick for you, repeatedly,gauranteed! You will have no need to drop out to land your hooked fish as dozens of helpful fishermen will immediately pull along side of you to help out!!!!.....the best part is SELLWOD is HOT! Sellwood is ALWAYS Hot!!!

Ok,ok, I am messin' with ya. Don't do this....please, don't do this.
but............you know........it 'would' work :)

Good one :applause: I have also been around long enough to know thats a famous trolling spot and I can only Imagine how many one finger waves I would get if I followed your advice:wink:

MD

#15 ·
"Under the Sellwood Bridge is the ideal place to anchor......just proceed upstream until the deep water 20% off of mid channel abruptly comes to a defined ledge.Anchor far enough above that ledge so your baits will come exactly to the edge of the structural drop off when deployed. A pink prawn with a copper blade, just 18" off the bottom will do the trick for you, repeatedly,gauranteed! You will have no need to drop out to land your hooked fish as dozens of helpful fishermen will immediately pull along side of you to help out!!!!.....the best part is SELLWOD is HOT! Sellwood is ALWAYS Hot!!!" WHOOOOOOO! Thanks for the advice, I can't wait to anchor up there, if anybody asks, I'll just tell 'em hogtied sent me.:whistle:

#19 ·
I generally fish alone and you more than happy to tag along with me. I grew up fishing the St. Helens area and I dont mind others getting into my spots. There is a lot of water out there. Drop me a PM

I will definately do that , still waiting for some things to get the boat ready but as soon as I do I will give you a holler.

MD

#20 ·
Please remember that some areas like open flats are better to troll and some ledges, river banks, and wingdams are better for anchor fishing. Don't just throw anchor where you see people hammering them on trolling. The area I fish never and I mean never had anyone anchor in it till about 2004. After that we get to dodge boats and catch fish right in the middle of the lines. I swear that 80% of the poeple out there anchor now but they only get about 20% of the fish.

It's silly when we are out there catchingto a bunch of fish next to a hogline of 10 boats that haven't touched a fish all morning. Just realize that anchoring can be the ticket just in certain spots. And if you can find the old kwick color that is all chrome with the "chrome yellow" (not the bright "florescent yellow") stripes in K14, put it on the line!:twocents:

#22 ·
Point taken, If its me and my buddys we will probably be trolling right along with the crowds, but usually if its My wife and daughter and I we will anchor up and relax, But dont worry about me as you will probably never see me anchored up in an area where others seem to be trolling even if thats where all the fish seem to be, not worth a confrontation especially with my family aboard. I know how grumpy a few can be even if they are supposed to be enjoying a nice relaxing day on the river .

MD

#23 ·
OK....I'll be serious......whoa....just ducked a piece of lead right there :)

Anchoring in the Multnomah Channel well-duhh Basics:a) Try to fish along the edges in spots where the channel narrows. b)Try to fish the point of an inside bend. Use you FF to assist you with this. The point from looking at the bank's edge may be very different then the underwater topography. c) If you fish the edge of a dramatic outside bend, try to find a spot where water of a consistent depth has an abrupt rise and fish the upstream edge of that rise. d)The slough is also notorious for having humps.Sometimes the best way to locate these is just to cut your motor and drift downstream with your FF on. Note the shallow humps and then return anchoring up to fish the top 25% of that downward slope. e)Also,anchorig below hydraulics can be productive. Don't attempt to fish in the boils, but rather 20 to 40 yards below them where the current straightens out and fish will fall back to resest and recalibrate for there ascent into the turblent waters. * All of theses strategies are just a logical process of figurng ways of funneling the fish to you to increase your percentages. Hope they help a bit.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.