Laminate flooring over vinyl? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 02-02-2009, 08:04 PM   #1
SXS
Steelhead

Default Laminate flooring over vinyl?

I'm hoping there are some ifishers out there that can answer a technical question. I am planning on installing some laminate flooring in my dining room and kitchen. The dining room was carpeted; the kitchen is vinyl. This is going to be a "floating floor" and I am planning to put some thick padding under it in the dining room.

The question is: since I will be continuing on in to the kitchen do I have to remove the vinyl? Can't I just use it as a pad under the laminate flooring pieces? I'd hate to have to scrape off all that vinyl if I don't have to.

What do you think? Is this a short cut? Or just wishful thinking?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Advertisement

Old 02-02-2009, 08:13 PM   #2
smock1123
Steelhead

Default Re: Laminate flooring over vinyl?

They make a thick paper kinda like contruction paper that you will want to lay down over the vinal and staple it down. then you should be okay to lay the flooring.
smock1123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:17 PM   #3
sarg88
Steelhead

I can tell you for sure yo do not have to remove the vinyl floor. thickness may vary from wood to vinyl height but if your using transitions who cares.. also use the thinest pad you can under the floating floor if you go super thick it will echo under your feet when you walk. I did my kitchen first and use thin pad (walks quitely) living room next and used thick padding (knock knock thud sound when walking). The last tip which was the greatest I recieved after installation was to wear a respirator when cutting the pieces. you will get the flu if you dont no joke I did and so did the guy who told me about it from previous experience. I just found out after. guess man made chemicals aren't good for the lungs who guessed.
sarg88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 08:24 PM   #4
GorgeCaster
Chromer

If you want use a pad called quiet step. It is made by Quick Step flooring. You pay a little more but it will sure make a difference, and there is no problem in putting the laminate over vinyl. I have been in floor covering over 10 years and if you have any more flooring needs give me a message. What kind of laminate are you using? Quickstep is the best. And do not forget to cut your door jams with a jam saw or sharp hand saw. Just flip a board, but it to the jam, with a piece of pad under and cut the jam. Also get a straight edge over 5 feet and and look for humps and swayels nothing will ruin a floor faster than too much movement on the joints of laminate.

Last edited by GorgeCaster; 02-02-2009 at 08:29 PM. Reason: more info
GorgeCaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2009, 09:17 PM   #5
Maddie'sDaddy
Sturgeon

Just keep in mind that if you spring a leak or have a bad spill that laminate does not do well with too much moisture and if the liquid gets under the laminate and has no way of soaking in per say due to the vinyl working as a seal it will just sit there untill the laminate soaks it up and laminate is not real easy to replace. Just something for you to think about.

Good luck

MD
Maddie'sDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2009, 06:05 AM   #6
SXS
Steelhead

Thanks to all for the advice. I'm going ahead with it.
Old 12-01-2009, 03:09 AM   #7
Coral
Fry

Indeed, laminate floors can be installed onto any type of surface, including vinyl, but it is highly recommended to use a dampscreen first in order to avoid moisture damages to the floor. You can find more info on this issue as well as quality laminate floors and installation accessories here http://www.kaboodle.com/store/flooring2floors.co.uk . Hope this helps
Coral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2009, 07:54 AM   #8
Jar Head
Chromer

What brand of laminate are you buying? There are many different kinds and some have a pad already built in on the underside of each plank, which saves a lot of extra work (Pergo Lifestyle, for example). I installed this brand in my living room and it was a piece of cake and I am no carpenter. I agree with those that recommend laying down a vapor barrier on top of your vinyl in your kitchen. Not necessary to use a vapor barrier in your dining room area, in my opinion.

And to second what GorgeCaster said - get a door jam saw to make the appropriate cuts along the bottom of your jams where the new floor will tuck up under. Saves a lot of work and you don't have to remove the jam trim.

Lastly, follow the directions that come with your new flooring to a "T". I wasted a lot of time on the installation doing it the way my brother recommended (and he's the carpenter?).

Lastly, now that you've committed yourself to new flooring, let's talk about trim and molding - I'll hop in there too once you start the new thread :lurk: