Float Fishing: Braid vs. Mono - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 11-25-2008, 02:05 PM   #1
Penobscot
Sturgeon

Lightbulb Float Fishing: Braid vs. Mono

Likely an old topic, but It seems like with the First Bite Jigs I use, I had many more hookups on a direct mainline, fixed set up, than I do on a braid, slider, weight, leader set up.

Anyways, I'm going to try the Pline mono, anyone else notice more hook ups with a fixed and direct to line set up? I realize I will lose casting distance and deep hole abilities, but I'll keep my spare spool with braid just in case.

Penobscot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 02:52 PM   #2
Dragfreedrift
Tuna!

Default Re: Float Fishing: Braid vs. Mono

I dont think it matters in terms of the number of hookups. Braid is easier to control due to the light weight, incredible strength and the fact that it floats.

There are floating monos available, but they are pretty spendy. Fixed floats will give your lure a chance to sink faster into the strike zone...perhaps you are getting fewer strikes on the sliding floats because the rig is not getting down fast enough?

my 2c

DFD

Last edited by Dragfreedrift; 11-25-2008 at 02:54 PM.
Dragfreedrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:07 PM   #3
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

IMO, the main advantage of braided for float fishing is that it floats and therefore, is easier to mend. The fact that it doesn't stretch should help with hookups at the expense of possibly straightening the occasional hook.

IMO, the main advantage of fixed floats is that you can reliably get your jig down in fast water.

By hookups, are you referring to bites or to bites that get hooked?

Wild Chrome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 04:21 PM   #4
Penobscot
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Chrome View Post
IMO, the main advantage of braided for float fishing is that it floats and therefore, is easier to mend. The fact that it doesn't stretch should help with hookups at the expense of possibly straightening the occasional hook.

IMO, the main advantage of fixed floats is that you can reliably get your jig down in fast water.

By hookups, are you referring to bites or to bites that get hooked?

Well I guess bites that hook fish, I think all together I've hooked about 30 steelhead with a float and jig, landed all but 2.
Many more hook ups it seems with the old fixed and mono set up. Not sure if it is a coincidence, or just a truer drift.
It seems the more I thought I knew, the fewer fish I've caught.
Old 11-25-2008, 04:49 PM   #5
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

Sounds like you've got a good thing going. If it ain't broke..........

There are some very good float fishermen that prefer a fixed float.

Old 11-25-2008, 05:06 PM   #6
Willie Ketchum
Chromer

You really don't want to get locked in on one setup. Fixed floats and small jigs are good in low clear shallow conditions, but a 2 oz setup fished 12 or 15 feet deep is a slider deal. You have to be flexible enough to adapt to conditions.
Willie Ketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 06:03 PM   #7
Penobscot
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wild Chrome View Post
Sounds like you've got a good thing going. If it ain't broke..........

There are some very good float fishermen that prefer a fixed float.

Thanks, but the majority of those were 2+ years ago. The last 2 years have been............less than productive.
Old 11-25-2008, 07:54 PM   #8
River Ranger
Sturgeon

I use both, they each have their advantages in certin waters.

RR.

Team Zissou
Team Willie Boats
River Ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:01 PM   #9
Green Willie
King Salmon

fixed float=shallow water----4 or 5 feet---easier to cast;
slider float= deeper water----5 feet or more---easier to cast;
braid floats better and is easier to mend which results in a more natural drift;
short casts, it doesn't matter, as long as you can keep your line between your float and rod off of the water;

In my experience, the biggest two reasons for missed bobber downs are:

1) too much slack line between bobber and rod; and
2) looking at the beautiful scenery while your parnter is screaming---"Mike, Mike, Mike, your bobber, fish..........."

bottom line---use what you like and prefer---you'll catch more fish.

Mike
Old 11-25-2008, 08:26 PM   #10
mryumyum
Steelhead

the reason why I think braid with a sliding or fixed boober is better is because it is much more versatile. When using a fixed bobber in low clear water levels it is usually in water of 4-5 feet or less if the water is pretty consistent at that depth I'm going to fish a fixed float I just use a cork float and a swivel. When the water is say 3 feet all the way to 13 feet I use a sliding thill float. I keep my leaders fairly short so that I can control the depth if I know I'm going to fish shallow waters. If I know I'm fishing deeper waters I will use longer leaders but there is no point to get to crazy. I think braid is better in all situations, no matter fixed or sliding. I have caught my fair share of steelies float fishing whether it is jigs, bait, fly, or artificials. I just think that braid has so many positive attributes vs. mono, it is not fair to compare. No disrespect. But we should be discussing what types of braid to use, the type of braided line is very important and they can change your fishing much more then you think.
mryumyum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:40 PM   #11
Wild Chrome
Sturgeon

One thing I'll say about "bobber downs", as someone who's been float fishing for over 10 years now.....I don't get it. I rarely miss a fish float fishing. I don't understand what all the "bobber down" reports are. Maybe some people are fishing slower runs than me where the bites are more subtle or tentative, but I think the majority of "bobber down"s are caused by rocks, not steelhead. I do have about 1 in 10 or so spit the jig on the first head-shake, but I always feel them. I attribute those to the hook getting in a bad/hard part of the fish's mouth. I've also straightened more than a few hooks giving them my "Jimmy Houston".

Old 11-25-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
finnfisher
Steelhead

MatthewC has a float fishing fishing video in his small stream fishing series (search on Pacific Ghost Productions) where he talks about using muscilin(?) from fly fishing gear on monofiliment to make it float. Check it out.

Last edited by finnfisher; 11-25-2008 at 08:53 PM. Reason: change lanolin to muscilin thanks to DanS post
finnfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2008, 08:51 PM   #13
DanS
Ifish Nate

For the steelhead fishing I do, I run mono straight to the jig with a Thill Turbomaster float. I can confidently fish water up to 10-12 feet deep. I use mono with musclin because it mends easier than braid and is friendlier to fish a fish with than braid IMO.

If I was fishing bigger, deeper water I'd probably switch over to a slider and braided line, but the fixed float with mono suits the water I'm fishing 90% of the time better.
Old 11-25-2008, 09:02 PM   #14
lavidapesca
Steelhead

basically i tend to fish a slip float with bait ,or if im walking, say the kalama canyon where the depth changes alot... if im going to one hole to fish jigs i will fish a fixed float.

ps- dan s. that was me underneath you and todd in forks last april.....it wasnt me that banged on the ceiling (or what you drunks thought was the wall the next morning) but i do remember waking up at 2am and hearing todd ripley stories coming from the room above us and hearing one of the guys in our room banging on the ceiling. I told him that i knew you guys and to go to bed cuz you guys prolly just got back from the chinese rest......... hope your well- if you see seastrike.....punch him in the chest and tell him its from "lupo"
lavidapesca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2008, 12:47 AM   #15
The Overfishin Condition
Sturgeon

For me, it's all braid, all the time. Amongst other benefits that are typically mentioned, and have been mentioned here, you almost always break off at the the leader, and therefore pretty much never lose a bobber, fixed of sliding. I don't know how many mono guys I have seen watch their bobbers float down stream after busting them off. If I snag I know my 10 lb leader is going to go before my 30 or 50 lb braid is.

Fixed for holes five feet or less that also require minimal casting distance (although sometimes using fixed and slipshot creates a strange catapult effect and tangles stuff up).

Sliding for deeper holes and longer casts.

If I had to pick one, I'd use sliding, way more versatile! TOC.

www.promotionfishingproducts.com
The Overfishin Condition is offline   Reply With Quote