Experiences with hit deer no blood trail? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 11-01-2008, 06:38 PM   #1
Abiquadeer
Chromer

Default Experiences with hit deer no blood trail?

My wife and I spotted a small forky this evening at 100yards. He was nice enough to stand broadside twice for two shots. My wife shoots a rifle very well. She was shooting her 25-06 with accubonds. The shots were not long before dark and we were hunting behing a gate that gets locked an hour after sunset. So we couldn't continue to look for the deer. We will be going out first thing in the morning to look again. My question is, have any of you experienced a deer hit with a rifle that didn't bleed externally?

Abiquadeer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 06:44 PM   #2
seadog
Steelhead

Default Re: Experiences with hit deer no blood trail?

YES, last year the buck my son shot did not bleed!! I saw it run off with its right front leg flopping, obviously broken. I never found one drop of blood until I found it laying amongst the ferns about an 1 and 1/2 plus hours after he shot it! Keep looking! Don't quit looking,especially, if you know it was hit hard. Good Luck!!
Old 11-01-2008, 06:57 PM   #3
Don Fischer
Sturgeon

I have no experience with anything other than cup and core bullets. Never killed one thing with a premium bullet. But I do have a though. I would expect that on a shot with no more resistance than that would have, the bullet might have stayed together a bit to well. A more fragile bullet might work better.

In my 25-06 I use 117gr Hornady's and have shot a lot of deer with it. But I don't recall ever getting a good blood trail and relatively few deer drop at the hit. Most moved off 15 or 20 yds then laid down dead. I believe that the problem, if it is one, is that the bullet is a bit to hard and doesn't open fast enough. I know most guy's like 100gr bullets for deer in the 25-06.

When cleaning and butchering deer shot with the 117gr bullet, there was no where near the damage inside as the few I did shoot with 100gr bullet's.
Don Fischer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:04 PM   #4
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate

Strangely enough the buck I shot this year didn't leave a good trail although he went down within 20 yards of the shot. The distance was around 120 yards and I was also using the accubonds. (.270 Win) Perhaps the accubonds just don't punch a big enough hole? Mine went in behind the shoulder and exited the opposite. He was almost broadside as well/
Old 11-01-2008, 07:07 PM   #5
No Fences
King Salmon

It can take awhile for blood to start finding it's way out of the holes. Keep looking and good luck.
Old 11-01-2008, 07:20 PM   #6
Rauly
Super Moderator

Knock on wood I have not had that happen with a deer yet. I have had it happen on bear twice now. It's always fun trommping around in the brush thinking it's gonna come out after you.

Keep looking.
Member #618
LUCK is: Preparation Meeting Opportunity
TEAM: Snood Doods
TEAM: Pop Tart
Big Fish Make Me Happy
Rauly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:39 PM   #7
Grizzly II
Tuna!

What was her sight picture? Rib cage should produce blood. Further back not much. Shoulder usually bleeds pretty good after 15-20 yards. KEEP LOOKING> It is amazing how well they blend in, especially during low light periods. Should be wet enough to have some tracks. Take the running tracks first if there are more than one set.

Good luck.
Grizzly II is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:42 PM   #8
steelhead22
Ifish Nate

I would love to respond to this thread, but I simply don't think I can take reliving my experience today. I'll try.

After nearly an entire day of searching, I am currently nursing my wounds on a regimen of 600mg Ibuprofen and 500mg Tylenol every 4 hours. My arms are hamburger from the breyers, the gash in my head from the broken limb on a down tree I was crawling under is begining to ooze and my left knee looks like a softball.

Mature buck, 200 yards, "looked like" a solid hit with the jump and kick that you see with a cavity hit and the left leg was damaged (limping). After waiting 2 hours while we went to get our game cart, we found blood 100 yards away from the hit. 4 drops, dime sized, not lung, liver, arterial sprays or guts, just "normal" blood that only went 20 yards. Sectioned the area and combed almost all day...at least to the point of exhaustion. Not sure what else we can do at this point?

Oh yeah, augmenting my prescription with Crown Royal for psycological purposes. This woulda been my buddies first deer, I really bummed for him. Haven't had to deal with a loss since I was about 13, it doesn't get better with age.

Cheers! I'll be back for round to tomorrow morning, wish me luck.

PS- Not sure if you guys recall, but this is my buddy who wanted to bow hunt with me this year. Without time to properly prepared, I asked if he would rifle this year and then archery when we had time to get him ready. All this in order NOT to wound an animal...and now this.

Last edited by steelhead22; 11-01-2008 at 07:47 PM.
steelhead22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 07:48 PM   #9
BornToFish360
Tuna!

My last years deer did that I was using my old 30.06 with a 150gr federal load and shot the deer at 230yrds and hit it perfect maybe 1" high but not a bad shot. No blood what so ever only way i found it was i triped over it by accident when i was looking for my hat i dropped on the way to another spot to check if he was in there...Good luck on finding the deer.

Btf360
BornToFish360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:02 PM   #10
blacktail hunter
Chromer

I shot a 4 point last year 75 yards steep uphill shot a good hit a bit low in the body exited mid body other side. useing 243 w/ 95 gr balistic tip deer only went 40 yards but left no blood trail. i really had to look for him...
blacktail hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 08:55 PM   #11
Washington Hunter
Tuna!

I shot a deer a couple years ago in the Pasayten Wilderness in Washington with a 270 and 130 grain Power Point bullet. Shot was about 320 yards, hit him right behind the shoulder. The bullet did not exit and there was not a drop of blood to be found anywhere. He only went about 40 yards straight down the hill. It was probably a half hour from the time I shot to when I found him, and even then there was no blood even on the ground where he was laying. From that experience I think it's best to use a bullet that will always exit, because two holes have got to be better than one in leaving a blood trail. The entrance hole on this deer was just high enough that all the blood pooled up in the bottom of the deer's chest cavity and didn't leak out. So don't give up if you don't find blood. Just keep looking, he's probably lying there somewhere.
Washington Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 09:40 PM   #12
DogZilla15
King Salmon

I killed bucks with a 44 mag, 30-'06 and .257 Roberts. Never had one run far enough where a blood trail was necessary to find the deer. When I was young, a lot of the deer weren't hit perfectly either. Most the bucks I've shot have been with the .257 and only one of those went more than three steps. The bucks that covered the most distance after the shot were shot with the '06, all heart and lung shots. The poorest performing bullet I've shot deer with or have seen shot by other hunters is the Winchester Power Point.

I would think the .25-'06 would provide enough velocity where even the toughest bullet would open up enough on a deer. Don't understand why you didn't get a bang flop.
DogZilla15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:03 PM   #13
steelhead22
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by DogZilla15 View Post
I killed bucks with a 44 mag, 30-'06 and .257 Roberts. Never had one run far enough where a blood trail was necessary to find the deer. When I was young, a lot of the deer weren't hit perfectly either. Most the bucks I've shot have been with the .257 and only one of those went more than three steps. The bucks that covered the most distance after the shot were shot with the '06, all heart and lung shots. The poorest performing bullet I've shot deer with or have seen shot by other hunters is the Winchester Power Point.
So, in so many words, your answer is "no" then?
steelhead22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2008, 11:36 PM   #14
DTSportsman
Ifish Nate

I killed a Blacktail this season with a slug, hit him in the neck and dropped him on the spot, broke his neck, but not a drop of blood. I've only had 1 animal leave a blood trail, it was hit in the heart, but not a complete hit and it pumped a little, the rest were lung hits, neck, or total heart destruction that all bled internally. My

Acts 10:10-15, Romans 10:9
DTSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 04:47 AM   #15
riverswild
Steelhead

Shot one with a shotgun slug behind the last rib angling toward the far shoulder. It went 100 yards with the only drop of blood being a couple feet from where it died. It was a hard one to find in the brush. Had to go and get a lantern and walk in circles for 20 minutes.
riverswild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:54 AM   #16
Beamerfish
Ifish Nate

Also sometimes if the hit is alittle high it bleeds internally but little drains out of the hole. Sounds like a good chance he is laying there somewhere.
Beamerfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:41 AM   #17
GDuck
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiquadeer View Post
My wife and I spotted a small forky this evening at 100yards. He was nice enough to stand broadside twice for two shots. My wife shoots a rifle very well. She was shooting her 25-06 with accubonds. The shots were not long before dark and we were hunting behing a gate that gets locked an hour after sunset. So we couldn't continue to look for the deer. We will be going out first thing in the morning to look again. My question is, have any of you experienced a deer hit with a rifle that didn't bleed externally?
I have had several deer that did not bleed externally, and one nice bull elk that didn't either. I have found the deer most times, the elk, geesh, 50 feet with a 300 Win behind the shoulder (maybe tagged the opposite shoulder), 2 miles and over a private fence. Go figure that out...followed in the snow, no blood, major limp, but no elk and no trespassin'.

You may well have hit a bone, bullet blew up or defelected, or, it just went in and stopped, the hide covered the hole. With the rain out, I'd start following the trail from where you hit him if any was left, tracks, branches, etc., then do small circles every 50 yards or so coming back to a straight line in the direction he was headed using that as his general "trail". He went and laid down, and I'm betting he isn't far away. Don't over look the smallest pile of brush or hidey hole... some say they go to water, some say they go downhill, IMHO the elk just took us on the Bataan Death march, the deer seemed to go where its easiest to go hide but in the thickest stuff available.

Good luck, by now you are already out there

G
GDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 07:58 AM   #18
jnicholson
Ifish Nate

Stay at it, the deer is there. It is your responsibility to find the animal. This is where your flagging tape is important and friends are even more important! First step is to slow down and make a planned search. Put on some orange now if you don't have it on already. If you move too fast and you get yourself sweateted out you're going to regret it. Flag the spot you hit the deer. Flag the direction you are positive you saw the deer take off. Cover every twenty feet in that direction in semi circles until you find even a speck of blood. Watch your GPS to make sure you are the same feet or yards away from the hit spot. Remember this is a planned recovery, do not take short cuts. If your friends want to randomly search, let them. You stay on the grid. Flag every blood spot if you find some.

I find animals in the steepest terrain and thickest cover using this approach.

You will see a pattern and find your animal.

If you are very good with a GPS. Use the directional pointer with bread crumbs at a very low setting to see that you are covering the area thoroughly and you know the distance from the hit sight.

Stay positive and keep it in your head that the animal is there, you just have to find it.
Old 11-02-2008, 08:26 AM   #19
tyeeterror
Coho

Last year I shot a nice buck ,and saw him do the bucking and leg kick thing. Waited for 20 minutes, and walked up to where I saw him. Had to look around, but I found good blood. When back to camp, and got help. Returned about 2 hrs later. Blood drops for about 30 feet, and then it went dry. Searched most of the day, and never found him. Two days later, a buddy shot the same buck. I had shot him between the shoulder, and middle leg joint, front leg. Wound had stopped bleeding, but was getting infected. I also shot another buck that did the bucking thing, and never found blood, and never saw him agian. My point is, that bucking kicking move doesnt always mean its a good vital organ shot. I would be more excited if the animal did that hunching its back up into a U shape, and then runs off. To me that indicates a good vital organ hit. Both my bear and buck did the hunching of the back, and both had serious lung damage. Every animal reacts differently. I agree if you shoot, you need to spend a lot of time looking for the animal. Its the right thing to do. Just my two cents.
tyeeterror is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 08:31 AM   #20
StickFish
King Salmon

Location: Somewhere way past the bass clef. Often Tigard Oregon

I hit a mule deer with a 25-06 using TB Bear Claws hit high above the lung and below the spine - only found one speck of blood 75 yards from where I hit high. 2 of us looked all day and never caught up. 2 days later we found him after the yotes did. Shot another deer with the same load the next year double lung - very little expansion. That one dropped on the spot, but I decided the bullet was too hard for deer. The two animals I've shot with Swift Sciroccos one dropped on the spot, the other managed about 75 yards but with an impressive blood trail and lung tissue hanging in the brush.
Old 11-02-2008, 09:52 AM   #21
Washington Hunter
Tuna!

I'm not sure I'd spend much more time looking for it since by now the meat won't be any good. If it makes you feel better just notch the tag and quit hunting. But what's the point of finding it when there won't be anything worth packing out?
Old 11-02-2008, 11:41 AM   #22
sooslaw
Tuna!

hits in the legs dont bleed. Sometimes you may overlook other obvious clues as we get too zoned in on blood. Hair, and bones fragments are generally present on hits that didnt quite go as planned. Good luck, i feel for you, been there done that, not a good feeling.

BornTaBeatDaBrush
sooslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:29 PM   #23
Abiquadeer
Chromer

Well we looked all over today to no avail. What I failed to mention on my first post was that there was a shot fired 5 minutes after my wife shot. The shot was close and came from the direction the buck left us. So since we didn't find the lil feller or any sign of him. I hope another hunter did last night. Atleast that way a person will enjoy his tender meat. If anybody hears of someone that got a small forky in the abiqua basin saturday night 1nov08 please let me know. Would be awesome to find out what happened to the buck one way or the other.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:31 PM   #24
Abiquadeer
Chromer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Hunter View Post
I'm not sure I'd spend much more time looking for it since by now the meat won't be any good. If it makes you feel better just notch the tag and quit hunting. But what's the point of finding it when there won't be anything worth packing out?
I strongly disagree. That's all I got to say about that.
Old 11-02-2008, 05:40 PM   #25
DTSportsman
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washington Hunter View Post
I second the Strongly Disagree, it's cool enough at night if he finds it the day after the meat would be fine. I wouldn't hesitate to eat it. Why would anyone ever recommend NOT looking for a downed animal based on the unknown?

Acts 10:10-15, Romans 10:9
DTSportsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #26
Washington Hunter
Tuna!

Well, if I felt the meat would still be good then I definitely would keep looking. But being out overnight, and then all day the next day, I just have doubts as to how good the meat would be. Maybe would be ok as dog food but not much else. One time I had a doe tag and shot one just at the very end of legal shooting hours in the evening. Didn't have the best flashlight so I came back first thing in the morning. The meat was already soured and it had been in the low 40's overnight.
Old 11-03-2008, 08:37 AM   #27
loper
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abiquadeer View Post
Well we looked all over today to no avail. What I failed to mention on my first post was that there was a shot fired 5 minutes after my wife shot. The shot was close and came from the direction the buck left us. So since we didn't find the lil feller or any sign of him. I hope another hunter did last night. Atleast that way a person will enjoy his tender meat. If anybody hears of someone that got a small forky in the abiqua basin saturday night 1nov08 please let me know. Would be awesome to find out what happened to the buck one way or the other.
It was pouring up there yesterday morning; that certainly wouldn't have helped.

Did you communicate the situation with the person locking the gate, and if so, what response did you get?

And did you happen to be one of the 5 or 6 vehicles in line when I opened the gate yesterday morning?