Steel toed shoes - Whats best? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Life in General

Old 10-22-2008, 01:08 AM   #1
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

Default Steel toed shoes - Whats best?

I need a pair of steel toes. In the past I have bought the cheapest pair I could find at WallyWorld due to the fact that I would wear them for a couple hours at a time maybe twice a year.

Now I will be starting a job where I need to wear them 12 hour a day. I'll be standing on cement and steel floors. There is no actual heavy work involved, this is to fill a OSHA requirement

I need them to be very comfortable, more like a tennis shoe than a boot (low top) no lug soles. must have full leather uppers

Price is no object this time.

Any brand names or specific stores I should go to?

Thanks

Old 10-22-2008, 04:30 AM   #2
Just_learning
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Steel toed shoes - Whats best?

Red Wing boots. They are going to run about $180+ for a good pair, but I have ones that I have had for 8+ years. All you have to do is condition them and keep them oiled....and add new soles once in a whlie.
Just_learning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 04:52 AM   #3
HntnFsh
King Salmon

Wolverine dura shocks are also very comfy and light.You can get them with a carbon (?) toe now.Lighter and warmer in the winter
HntnFsh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Chromaflage
King Salmon

It's tough to recommend specific brands, types and styles. Amongst other things, it becomes a matter of personal choice and comfort. I will say that you don't want to scrimp on work boots. If you just go cheap, your feet and back may pay the price.

Consider first why you need them and the features that are important - do you need canvas or leather? How long of an upper do you need? Ankle support is a huge consideration when working on uneven terrain. Do you need oil resistant soles? Take into account the weight of the boot. Do you need steel toe/steel shank? Or can you get away with a lighter, composite toe? What is it that you are trying to protect your feet from? You might ask your employer if they have done a personal protective equipment assessment and what they determined for requirements

Once you have all that information, since you are in Columbia Co., you might consider visiting Summit Safety Shoes in NW Portland.

Good luck!
Old 10-22-2008, 06:54 AM   #5
30pound-tasty-fish
Ifish Nate

My humble suggestion, run and run fast away from any redwing footwear. I have had two pair and they absolutly provided no support. After wearing a pair for about a year my knees kill me when I get home and I have cramping in my feet. My suggestion, drive down the the Danner factory store and meet some of the nice folks there.
30pound-tasty-fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:39 AM   #6
1pump
King Salmon

I got my Danners at Summit Safety Shoes (my employer pays for them). I've been buying the same model for the last 5 years. I think they're called GTX or GT or something like that. They're about $140, Gore-Tex and waterproof, but they can't be resoled. I work an average of 60 hours a week and expose them to all kinds of weather and nasty chemicals, and I easily get a year+ out of them. They don't have the huge heel like the heavy-duty boots and they're only ankle high, so they're easy on the feet.

I was the first one at work to wear them. Everybody else got fed up with the other brands falling apart or being too heavy and started wearing them. Now nearly the whole crew has the same Danners.
Everybody happy.
Old 10-22-2008, 08:20 AM   #7
wthr4d
Sturgeon

You should also try on a pair of Carolina's!! They are american made and very comfortable for guys with big wide feet like me.

Kerry is right though, it is hard to reccomend a brand. I can not find a pair of RedWings that fit me properly. I know many people that swear by them. A good store is Work Outfitters in S Salem behind the Kmart. They took the time with me and brought out the catalogs and explained what the details in the books meant. Find a store that isnt afraid to work with you and is willing to order if they dont have something.

Paul

TEAM OPB and looking for chances at salmon, Halibut and Tuna!!
wthr4d is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
Cutting Point
Chromer

Red Wings hands down. Comfortable, will last forever and they pass the safety standards of most companies.
Cutting Point is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 09:54 AM   #9
MustangA1X
Steelhead

Back in the mid 70's a friend need to go the the Red Wing store and I tagged along. The wall clock had their logo and advertising saying "end 5 o'clock feet". I had been wearing $15 surplus jungle boots at work (carpenter) and was suffering from "5 o'clock feet".
For once the advertising was true. It was hard spending $80 for boots (remember, this was a long time ago) but I wore Red Wings for work until I retired.
MustangA1X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 10:20 AM   #10
69scout
Sturgeon

I have several pairs of steel toes.

From Doc Martens, red wings, bellleville, and Wolverines.

The pair I usually wear are Wolverines. For comfort.

Joes carries them.
Old 10-22-2008, 10:28 AM   #11
Herring Impaired
Tuna!

I've had no choice because of my Large Feet usually, and had to wear Carolina's. Could not stand them, heavy and not comfortable at all.

On a Lark, I went to Als Store on 82nd ave in Portland, and they had a pair of Timberlands in my size (17W). These are half the weight and are twice as comfortable as any of the Carolina's I've had. They do feel like a sneaker when compared to my previous boots.

I hear Wolverines are nice, but I'll probably never know unless I have foot reduction surgery!
Old 10-22-2008, 03:32 PM   #12
tikkahunter
Steelhead

try whites they are fairly expensive but they have really good arch support and i would rather wear them than my tennis shoes and they are made in spokane
tikkahunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 06:20 PM   #13
aosteelheader
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikkahunter View Post
try whites they are fairly expensive but they have really good arch support and i would rather wear them than my tennis shoes and they are made in spokane
I don't know about shoes from whites, but their boots are hands down the best money can buy.
I wear a pair of whites smoke jumpers with steel toes for work every day. I can honestly say I would rather wear them than any other shoes I own.
aosteelheader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:03 PM   #14
fishinmachine
Chromer

I wear the Danner Quary (made in china not the $300 USA version). $200. Goretex, steel toe, most comfortable boot out of the box that I have worn yet. Last me about a year under heavy use. Sketchers makes a steel toe running/tennis shoe style.
fishinmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:14 PM   #15
chrome obsession
King Salmon

I wear steel toe boots 5 days a week for my job..(its a requirement)..My job pays for my boots...I started off with danners which I loved but then I decided to try Georgia boots!...Man I tell you what, i could sleep in those things...I have had them now for 5 months and they have barely worn and are by far the most comfortable boot I have ever worn!...The brand name is Georgia boot, they ran around $160.00 I believe....

God is good!
Proud Arima owner (Spunky)
Served 7 years in the Army

OTC 2009,2010,2014. Team No Bail/Meanwhile..
chrome obsession is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:17 PM   #16
drillman
Steelhead

red wings great shoes what i liked was that you could get then resoled
Old 10-22-2008, 09:51 PM   #17
Chrome Bumper
King Salmon

Sorry, haven't used steel toes for a while now, fiber glass is much lighter, and warmer. I assume you want OSHA 75 compliant.

Al's on 82 nd has a good selection.

Don't know if you need 'high tops' , oil resistant or what.

12 hours... better have gel inserts.

I think I have timberlands, some don't like oil, I have pretty big feet.

Last edited by Chrome Bumper; 10-22-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Chrome Bumper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 12:47 AM   #18
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

Thanks Guys, for all the replies.

Now to go to the stores mentioned......
Old 10-23-2008, 06:16 PM   #19
Fried Oyster
Ifish Nate

Steel toes used to be required when I worked for someone else. Now I wear the same steeltoe boots running my own business, because they are so comfortable and durable. Georgias.
Old 10-24-2008, 05:41 AM   #20
adobe wall
King Salmon

Lehighs are the absolute worst, redwings a close second. Problem is that many feel good in the store but kill your feet and back after a long day on concrete. I'll second the suggestion for gel inserts. Most safety toe shoes have soles that are only slightly softer than concrete. I have tried Timberlines and they weren't bad, haven't tried Georgia or Carolina boots.

If anyone can design a truly comfortable safety toe shoe they'll be wealthy fast.

jmho, aw
adobe wall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2008, 05:54 AM   #21
NWBHoss
Steelhead

Since you are looking for a steel toe and not really a "work boot" I would just go check out Whistle Workwear or a similar store. When I picked up my last pair of Caterpillar boots (I am required to wear steel toe as well per OSHA) I saw a lot of slip on type shoes that where OSHA compliant. They look very comfortable and more like a steel toed tennis shoe which it sounds like is what you want. It would be worth a shot
Old 10-24-2008, 05:56 AM   #22
Cliff D.
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by adobe wall View Post
Lehighs are the absolute worst, redwings a close second. Problem is that many feel good in the store but kill your feet and back after a long day on concrete. I'll second the suggestion for gel inserts. Most safety toe shoes have soles that are only slightly softer than concrete. I have tried Timberlines and they weren't bad, haven't tried Georgia or Carolina boots.

If anyone can design a truly comfortable safety toe shoe they'll be wealthy fast.

jmho, aw
True !! Have had good luck with Timberlands, lately. Danners were O.K., Durashocks too, if they fit your feet.
Cliff D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:12 PM   #23
WAID
Steelhead

I have a pair of Lacrosse quadrashocks or something like that that are the most comfortable things I have ever had on my feet. Although I have easy to fit feet. They worked great working 40-60 hours a week in a sawmill and a steel foundry(although the foundry was a semi-desk job. I've worn them for 18 hour shifts and they stayed comfortable. They are comfortable enough I wear them to school and around town.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:15 PM   #24
Fish_N_Russ
Sturgeon

What size do you need???
Fish_N_Russ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2008, 09:21 PM   #25
TonTo
Tuna!

I wear a pair of Nautilus slip ons,like a Romeo style,real comfy like wearing bedroom slippers.About $80-90 must comfortable safty toe shoe I've worn,not much for ankle protection,but meet requirements.
Old 10-27-2008, 03:01 AM   #26
Half fast Toyn
Ifish Nate

Ive formed some opinions about steel toed boots. Thats what these are..... my opinions.

If you are required to have steel toed but dont NEED steel toed, get the tennie-runner style. Light weight and comfortable with low tops. Soles will melt right off these in high temp conditions and they offer no ankle support or water resistance.... but you can run a marathon in these.

If you need a cheap but realiable boot, you cant beat Georgia or Brahma's. When I had to buy my own boot, these lasted longest in the worst conditions (steel foundry).

Red wings...... er, not my favorite boot. I wear these now because the work now requires a metatarsal guarded steel toed boot and they make a simi good one. I wear these out about every 4 months and even if I buy the exact same brand and model, the sizes and fit vary a LOT. I work in chemical and physical hazard areas that break down the leather and sole. The stitching breaks mostly causing the boot to just fall apart. Work pays for new boots so I just go get another set. The Brahma boots from Walmart (no fan of wally-world here) lasted a year or so in the same environment.

I wear a set of Rocky steel toed boots in the woods while hunting. A very comfotable waterproof boot that has lasted me 3 seasons so far.
Half fast Toyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 05:21 AM   #27
Don't fish e nuff
Chromer

I would vote for Red Wings. They are the most comfortable steel toed boot I have ever tried. If you do allot of work on your knees, no insinuation please, you will wear the toes over the steel part quickly. The little plastic caps that you just glue on are well worth the money.
Don't fish e nuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2008, 08:06 AM   #28
wannacatchem
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by NWBHoss View Post
Since you are looking for a steel toe and not really a "work boot" I would just go check out Whistle Workwear or a similar store. When I picked up my last pair of Caterpillar boots (I am required to wear steel toe as well per OSHA) I saw a lot of slip on type shoes that where OSHA compliant. They look very comfortable and more like a steel toed tennis shoe which it sounds like is what you want. It would be worth a shot
Exactly what I am looking for. I'll be working in a cleanroom and the subfab. Contractors will be doing the heavy lifting/moving while I supervise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish_N_Russ View Post
What size do you need???
about a 10 wide....
Old 10-27-2008, 09:04 AM   #29
Chromaflage
King Salmon

If you need ESD type safety shoes, Summit also has those - in all styles including tennis shoes, loafers, boots, etc.
Old 10-27-2008, 08:09 PM   #30
Oregon-Jet
Tuna!

Man I'm telling you they don't get more comfortable than these, I have wore them all over years.
Try these in steel toe and for those of you who don't need steel toe they make those too, they are awesome.
http://www.georgiabootstore.com/Merc...e=051mensromeo

Men's Safety Toe Georgia Giant Romeo Style: GS262

Quantity in Basket:none
Code: GS262
$88.00 Our Price: $73.50

Shipping Weight: 2.50 pounds
Select_Size:<Select One>M 6.5M 7.0M 7.5M 8.0M 8.5M 9.0M 9.5M 10.0M 10.5M 11.0M 11.5M 12.0M 13.0M_14-0W 7.0W 7.5W 8.0W 8.5W 9.0W 9.5W 10.0W 10.5W 11.0W 11.5W 12.0W 13.0W_14-0 Quantity:

Click Here to Read More!
Men's Safety Toe Georgia Giant Romeo Style: GS262

Features
Soggy Brown Full Grain Leather
High Performance Lining
Covered Cushion Insole
Oil Resistant Rubber Bumper Guard
Steel Shank
Oil Resistant Polyurethane Outsole
Repairable Goodyear Welt Construction
Safety Toe Class I75/C75
Electrical Hazard

Sole
Oil Resistant Polyurethane

Sizes & Widths Available
Medium 6.5 - 12, 13, 14
Wide 7 - 12, 13, 14

Oregon-Jet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 01:48 AM   #31
Scrillznac
Tuna!

If you want steel toed shoes and not above the ankle boots go with the Red Wing's. I'm required to wear steel toes at work and these have got to be the most comfortable durable shoe I've ever worn at work. A typical day involves around 5+ miles of walking on conrete floors and the Red Wings definitely are worth their weight in gold.