Jigging for Kokanee... - www.ifish.net

Trout Yak!
Trout & Kokanee Fishing with Buzz Ramsey

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Trout Yak! Trout & Kokanee Fishing

Old 10-19-2008, 10:59 AM   #1
SilverBullets
Tuna!

Default Jigging for Kokanee...

Having been a troller for koks the last 5 or 6 years, I got into jigging this year for the fist time. I found out there is alot more to it than raising your jig up and down, and wondered if you had any tricks of the trade you could share? I've noticed some jiggers doing alot better than others, and I know there has to be something to it that I'm not aware of. Thanks in advance for anything you can share...

SilverBullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 11:02 AM   #2
fish-on-bend
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Jigging for Kokanee...

Being on Suttle lake the 1st week of May has a lot to do with it.
Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 PM   #3
joemomma
Ifish Nate

MARSHWORM!

Fish long, Fish hard, and always fish with your kids and your Labrador

Been farther up a pole than you have been away from home kid!

JOIN CCA
joemomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 01:54 PM   #4
SilverBullets
Tuna!

Just wanted to clarify that I'm not asking for any secrets handed down from Grandad, just some general tips and technics that work for you. What kind of line do you prefer, do you target suspended fish or ones towards the bottom, amount of lift, use of corn and scents...I know I'll have to put in my time to become a proficient jigger, just wanted a few tips to help the learning curve a bit.
Old 10-19-2008, 04:20 PM   #5
joemomma
Ifish Nate

I like gibbs jigs! There's is another Ifisher (help Me) Can't think of his name right now! Who makes great jigs! I noticed a massive (huge) improvement this year by going to braided 8lb line (thanks Moknots) with some floro leader tied with a double uni knot, if a koke passes gas near it you will know! I fish where the fish are! if they are suspended and shallow, cast to them and jig back! If deep, verticle jig! Watch others who are doing good and copy them! I use corn that is scented, shrimp krill are my favorites! Any color will work as long as it is pink and white, or orange But have an arsenal of colors handy, they tend to change there mind like a woman moving furniture!

Fish long, Fish hard, and always fish with your kids and your Labrador

Been farther up a pole than you have been away from home kid!

JOIN CCA
joemomma is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2008, 06:49 PM   #6
SilverBullets
Tuna!

Those are some great tips joemomma! By the time I got around to ordering jigs from Aufish101 this year, the trolling had picked up where I fish. I look forward to useing them next season, they look like they should do well. I ordered a few 3/4 oz gibbs from bi-mart this morning, seemed like the 1/2 oz took forever to get down when vertical jigging. Anymore of you jig masters out there want to take a shot at this one?
Old 10-19-2008, 07:37 PM   #7
TroutBass
Steelhead

This year Gibbs seemed to work best for me. Not much technique involved. Find out where the fish are, drop jig down, start jigging.

I do think that lifting the rod more than just a foot is important. I have seen some people hardly bouncing the jig. Pay attention and change jigs often if they arnt bitting. Use pink, greens did well on calm days.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:23 AM   #8
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

I'm far from a master but do enjoy jigging. Good tactic for us lazy folks. One important factor is to find out which depth the 'biters' are at. It seems as though even when the fish are suspended from top to bottom one depth will produce better than others. For example in three trips to Odell this year it was a little different each time. The first trip all fish were taken right off the bottom. The other trips I never touched a fish down there. 20' to 40' was the hot area. 30' was about optimum the last trip. This is just a matter of testing the waters through trial and error. It's always fun to fish off the bottom though because every so often you'll hook a mac.

Wind-drifting and back-trolling are usually pretty effective methods of presentation. It's simply a matter of covering more productive water. That's one big advantage of a smaller boat. Probably the only one since it sure as heck isn't comfort. I personally never tip the hook or use scent. Just a personal choice. That said...it sure isn't going to chase the kokes away either. I just found that too much time was spent checking whether the bait had been stripped rather than working the jig. The action of the jig is what makes the fish strike since it really doesn't resemble or smell like the primary food source of kokes which is plankton.

See ya at the 'honey hole' next summer S.B!
Old 10-20-2008, 07:26 AM   #9
nwsoftball
Chromer

All the above, plus this tip and it may be the hardest one to accomplish.

Concentrate on your jig, as soon as you lose focus, you'll get a bite and miss it. My wife wonders why I'm so tired from "just fishing" and why I outfish her when we have the same equipment, jigs, bait, etc.

As Yogi Berra once said, "50% of this game is half mental."
Old 10-20-2008, 01:16 PM   #10
moknots
Tuna!

Good tips. I can add a few thoughts. You gotta break things down a little. Getting a bite, feeling a bite, and getting the hook set. Getting one or two of three isn't enough to get the job done. I'll let others give you the scoop on getting the bite, but I hear way too little offered about the other two.

Feeling or "sensing" a bite means you must have the right equipment. A super sensative rod is a must -- there are lots of good ones out there -- here's a good tip for helping you pick one off the rack -- close your eyes and run the tip of the rod accross the floor, or along almost any fixture or product in the store -- you can instantly tell the difference between a good one and a bad one based on what transmits to your hand. Good line is also an absolute must -- my bias -- forget anything but zero stretch zero memory spectra/deema/kevlar or similar line. Per Joemomma, knot on some florocarbon leader (6-8 feet, enought that you can retie every 4 or 5 fish without having to tie on a whole new leader during your session). Finally, anticipate -- work on feeling the fish moving towards your jig, and take him before he knows what hit him; as NW Softball says, FOCUS is key. You simply can't wait for a "real bite" -- kokanee seldom give more than a light tap. If you can't or don't want to work that hard mentally, trolling is the way to go.

Getting the hook set means quick reflexes, sharp hooks, line with no coils and no stretch, and a rod with enough back bone to transmit your effort immediately to the end of the line. The stiffness of the rod required depends on the water depth, and the weight of the jig. I use a completely different rod for fishing 3/4 or 1 oz jigs (my strong preference for fishing in over 80 feet of water, which is often the case at Odell) than I do for fishing 1/4 or 1/2 oz jigs in 60' or less of water (Suttle and Wickiup for example).

I would never use my soft trolling rods and reels loaded with nice stretchy mono for jigging, and vice versa. If you want to do well jigging, get a dedicated jigging setup.

Hope that helps.
moknots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 03:57 PM   #11
smalldog
Tuna!

"I would never use my soft trolling rods and reels loaded with nice stretchy mono for jigging"

I think you just nailed my jigging problem on the head.
That's what I do...use the same rods.
smalldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 04:44 PM   #12
SilverBullets
Tuna!

WOW!!! That's some good stuff right there! I now know there's alot more to it, thanks for all the great tips. I was useing 4lb maxima... will take your advice and change it out for next season. Couple more questions... is it true that most hits are when the jig is falling, and is there a trick to keep the hook from getting wrapped around the jig... like a certain motion while raising and lowering the lure?
Old 10-21-2008, 09:17 PM   #13
moknots
Tuna!

I quit having by leader wrap around hooks when I went to a pretty stiff 10 pound leader. I know that flies in the face of what some really good jig fishermen do, but it works for me. I either knot direct to the jig, or use a duo-lock snap (no swivel). The new Triline florocarbon leader in 6 pound is stiff enough too. Most hits I get are on the fall, or just after coming to a stop.

Check out past posts from the Marshworm -- he's got some good ideas about working the jig. Com'on jigging aces, I know you've got secrets....
moknots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:35 AM   #14
FallRiverGuy

I am no expert like many here, but I have found that just like trolling, experimenting around will produce more fish. I have hooked fish by just twitching the rod to a full blown bass master hook-set jig.

This is a great post and lots of great information.
Old 10-22-2008, 02:23 PM   #15
Dropshot
Coho

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwsoftball View Post
All the above, plus this tip and it may be the hardest one to accomplish.

Concentrate on your jig, as soon as you lose focus, you'll get a bite and miss it. "
Amen to that, and the concentration starts when the jig hits the water. I can't count the number I have hooked while sending the jig down to where I thought it should be.
Dropshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 05:23 PM   #16
Aufish101
Chromer

Smile Re: Jigging for Kokanee...

I just like to jig, you never know how they will hit it. I do play around with the jigs with different colors and combinations. One will work one day and another will the next. I like a softer rod in 6'6" or 7' range with a lot of sensitivity to it. I also use 6# test Ultra Green, I know a lot of stretch! I also pay a lot of attention to the line and rod tip. Might give the braided a try next year.

Aufish101

"If you can't eat it, don't kill it!"

Aufish101 Fishing Up-Dates and Stories

Aufish101 Ifish Gallery Pictures
Aufish101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2008, 07:23 PM   #17
SilverBullets
Tuna!

So it sounds like it's a mental game...focus and concentration are what I will work on. No more fishing rod in one hand and a sandwich in the other! I haven't heard anyone mention much about reels. Do you use two set-ups? One for casting and another for vertical jigging?
Old 10-23-2008, 05:56 AM   #18
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
I like a softer rod in 6'6" or 7' range with a lot of sensitivity to it.
Me too. I always carry two rods. One ultra-light for 1/4-1/2 oz jigs and another light action for 3/4-1 oz. Makes fighting the fish so much fun. You can actually feel a fish bump the jig if he veers off at the last second and decides not to take it. They're both my 'pride n joy' Loomis rods and are probably worth more than the boat and motor combined. The motor for sure. Guess that doesn't say too much about the old motor. At least so far it'll take ya from point "A" to point "B"
Old 10-23-2008, 11:25 AM   #19
TroutBass
Steelhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dullhook View Post
Me too. I always carry two rods. One ultra-light for 1/4-1/2 oz jigs and another light action for 3/4-1 oz. Makes fighting the fish so much fun. You can actually feel a fish bump the jig if he veers off at the last second and decides not to take it. They're both my 'pride n joy' Loomis rods and are probably worth more than the boat and motor combined. The motor for sure. Guess that doesn't say too much about the old motor. At least so far it'll take ya from point "A" to point "B"
Light rods are great, makes the fish feel alot bigger. Its also fun when you are able to feel them swat it and you snag them. Always makes for an eventful fight when you hook them in the tail. Seems to happen to me about 1 in 10.
Old 10-23-2008, 07:28 PM   #20
dog
Steelhead

Just my 2cents-I only fish Paulina for Kokes in June. You can't catch'em with Maxima chameleon but you sure can with Maxima ultragreen. Tie line straight to whatever jig you use-no duolocks or swivels for fast change. Au fish 101's 1/2oz white with prizm side casting jig has been by far the best producer for June fishing. Blaze Orange Nordic in .25 can be hot at times in June. Either 6-12" twitches or full arm length jigs seem to work the best but you never know which until you fish. And yes, by far the majority of hits are on and toward the tail end of the down stroke. It is also quite common to have them hit just at the start of the upstroke. Find fish with fishfinder, know how many inches each of your reel turns are and lower your lure down to the level they are at. We have found we will catch them with our jig higher than their level, maybe even up to 15 feet but rarely if you drop the jig below them. If I had to fish my JIG at one depth at Paulina I would pick 35'. That would be in 200feet of water or 50 or 60 feet. We catch the majority of our fish at the 35 foot or thereabouts level in June. Some guys do good right off the bottom but we have not mastered that. We have not tried the flourocarbons mainly because we have not had too. Leaders either. We just use 6-8 Maxima ultragreen and we seem to get our share. Good lu!ck
dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2008, 10:40 PM   #21
The Lucky Duck
Tuna!

Quote:
Originally Posted by joemomma View Post
I like gibbs jigs! There's is another Ifisher (help Me) Can't think of his name right now! Who makes great jigs! I noticed a massive (huge) improvement this year by going to braided 8lb line (thanks Moknots) with some floro leader tied with a double uni knot, if a koke passes gas near it you will know! I fish where the fish are! if they are suspended and shallow, cast to them and jig back! If deep, verticle jig! Watch others who are doing good and copy them! I use corn that is scented, shrimp krill are my favorites! Any color will work as long as it is pink and white, or orange But have an arsenal of colors handy, they tend to change there mind like a woman moving furniture!

That sums it up for me too, target the depths that the fish are active.
The Lucky Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2012, 06:44 PM   #22
LGB
Steelhead

Lots of great info here.
As you can tell there can be as many ways to catch Kokanee as there are fishermen (oops, fisher persons) and it is always changing. I recall a number of years ago at Odell if you did not put Shrimp/Anise smelly jelly on your jig you caught about half as many fish as those who did. That doesn't seem to work any more. Line that doesn't stretch are best, stiffer rods help the feel the hit and set the hook, jigs in a variety of colors and weights (heavier for deeper water), Nordic and Buzz bombs have been a standard for a long time...orange, pink, green; Shoepeg corn bait seems to be a constant, garlic sent can help, as well as some others like shrimp and anise. I have caught fish right on the bottom, 100 to 120 feet, with no fish showing on the fish finder, and near the surface casting smaller jigs to jumpers, and in between in schools of fish. Wind is a big factor too. I have caught them with large 5+ foot lifts and also just twitching the jig a little. As questions of people already there and start with their suggestions. Their method may not work for you or "you should have been here yesterday, we killed'em".
I see Kokanee fishing as a constant experiment and learning curve and I have been doing it a long time.
LGB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2012, 07:38 AM   #23
Trout,myster
Tuna!

All good info here. Couple of things I do that make things easier is to put on a bobber stop. Don't need any beads or anything, just the stop. I tie my own, but the string type are what I use. Find the depth of the fish with your depth finder, then lower your jig to that depth by whatever means of measuring your line you care to use. Slide the bobber stop up the line as you let out the jig. Once set, all you have to do is drop the jig to the depth of the bobber stop and you're ready to go.

I also fiddle around a bit with the jigs. Like any other lure, some work and some don't. Try to master the right fall to get the jig to flutter down by watching it at boatside.
Old 06-06-2012, 04:30 PM   #24
Dullhook
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trout,myster View Post
All good info here. Couple of things I do that make things easier is to put on a bobber stop. Don't need any beads or anything, just the stop. I tie my own, but the string type are what I use.
Thanks for the excellent tip, Trout,myster. I'd been considering doing something like this for a while, to mark the line on one of the jigging rods for depth. I also do quite a bit of jig casting so really prefer running straight 6lb test mono on both rods rather than color-coded braided line. Your advice just helped push me over the edge!

Have some old-bright-fluorescent-chartreuse bobber stops (easy to see with my failing eyesight) tucked away somewhere in the trout tackle box. Next trip, will set a stop on the light action rod line at 50' which is a good optimum depth, and see how it pans out for vertical jigging. Will leave the ultralight rod as is and designated for straight casting.

Beats the heck out of wasting time doing 17 pulls when the bite is hot at certain, suspended depths. From 50', it should be pretty easy...even for me...to adjust up or down to find the sweet spot where the biters are cooperating.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:11 PM   #25
tjbfish
Steelhead

I keep a red, green, blue & black sharpie handy and mark my line with different colors for different depths.
tjbfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 09:57 AM   #26
cbird1961
Cutthroat

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverBullets View Post
Having been a troller for koks the last 5 or 6 years, I got into jigging this year for the fist time. I found out there is alot more to it than raising your jig up and down, and wondered if you had any tricks of the trade you could share? I've noticed some jiggers doing alot better than others, and I know there has to be something to it that I'm not aware of. Thanks in advance for anything you can share...
Fish your electronics and follow the fish. I jig in suspended schools and on the bottom when I see them on my fish finder. I can watch my jig and drop it right on them. Very very successful for me. Diamond dust flame red jigs work best for me tipped with tuna soaked corn. Landed over 600 Kokes May 7th - June 7th mostly fishing by myself. Works every year!
cbird1961 is offline   Reply With Quote