IFish Fishing Forum banner

Columbia river anchoring

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  Mallardmafia 
#1 ·
Can anyone tell me if a 26 lb anchor for a 16 foot stryker is enough for the columbia at becon rock area during the spring nook season ? I fished summer steelhead up there and dragged a couple times . Only when the wind kicked up and once on a grave bar where the speed of the water picked up strong .
So i am not sure if I need more anchor or more chain .I know i have plenty of line i got 300 feet . Any help would be great ..

#8 ·
The type of anchor is more important than weight. A anchor that will dig into soft sand the more you pull on it will not have to be as heavy. If you are on a rocky area a anchor that will be shaped different will work better. So more chain isn't always the correct answer. In fact it could be the wrong answer and help create more problems than it solves. It is why I have about three different anchors. I pick the anchor I need for the area I plan to anchor in.

It's your choice. but more chain is more problems in some cases.

Good Luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.