Antler mounting ideas??? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 10-13-2008, 07:46 PM   #1
Joe
Sturgeon

Default Antler mounting ideas???

Anybody have any good techniques on how to do a plaque type mount of some sawed off deer and elk antlers. Looking for some creative/COOL ideas. Never been too impressed with the kits you can order from Cabelas etc....

Pics would be cool!

Thanks

Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 07:51 PM   #2
ORsouthpaw
Ifish Nate

Default Re: Antler mounting ideas???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe View Post
Anybody have any good techniques on how to do a plaque type mount of some sawed off deer and elk antlers. Looking for some creative/COOL ideas. Never been too impressed with the kits you can order from Cabelas etc....

Pics would be cool!

Thanks
I was just getting ready to ask this question myself. I was thinking about getting a kit and giving the mount to my son. I also need to figure out how so cut them off as they are still attached to the head.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:29 PM   #3
Scrillznac
Tuna!

Are you looking at doing just the skull plate or the full euro? I recently found a pretty sweet website with some great plaques on it for really good prices. I just bought the broadhead euro mount plaque with the red mahogany stain. It's pretty sweet looking. Check out the website for some ideas.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 PM   #4
lentz
Sturgeon

Here is one that a good friend of mine did. He cut out a 1/4 inch piece of plywood in the shape of the scull plate. He then screwed the antlers into the plywood and covered the scull plate with plaster. He then sanded it into the desired shape. He normally covers it in nauga hide or the material of choice then wraps gold cord around the base of the antlers. I wanted the beige nauga instead of the cord, so he used furniture tacks to hold it in place. All that was left to do was to find your base and screw the antlers from the back side and that is it. I did not put a "hanger" on it but instead, i put rubber "feet" on it so it can sit on a table top.

lentz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 08:44 PM   #5
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by ORsouthpaw View Post
I was just getting ready to ask this question myself. I was thinking about getting a kit and giving the mount to my son. I also need to figure out how so cut them off as they are still attached to the head.
I make a cut (with a hand saw) from the front right above the eyes sawing toward the back then cut down behind the antlers to meet the first cut. Main thing is just make sure you leave plenty of bone. Unless you want hair on it's best to skin it off soon before it dries.

[quote=Scrillznac;2214168]Are you looking at doing just the skull plate or the full euro? I recently found a pretty sweet website with some great plaques on it for really good prices. I just bought the broadhead euro mount plaque with the red mahogany stain. It's pretty sweet looking. Check out the website for some ideas.

These are not full skulls just sawed off antlers but I do a lot of European mounts too so I'll check out that site. Thanks!

What I really need to figure out is how to cover the bone. Buckskin? How to attach it?

Last edited by Joe; 10-13-2008 at 08:46 PM.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:45 PM   #6
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by lentz View Post
Here is one that a good friend of mine did. He cut out a 1/4 inch piece of plywood in the shape of the scull plate. He then screwed the antlers into the plywood and covered the scull plate with plaster. He then sanded it into the desired shape. He normally covers it in nauga hide or the material of choice then wraps gold cord around the base of the antlers. I wanted the beige nauga instead of the cord, so he used furniture tacks to hold it in place. All that was left to do was to find your base and screw the antlers from the back side and that is it. I did not put a "hanger" on it but instead, i put rubber "feet" on it so it can sit on a table top.

Nice!
Old 10-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #7
osulogger
Tuna!

I mounted up two sets of horns for a buddy at work. I bought Styrofoam from a craft shop and shaped and molded it to what I wanted. Then I purchased some leather from the local leather store and then stretched to go over what I made.

Lessons learned: Don't buy the Styrofoam from a craft shop and shape it. Purchase the shapes from a taxidermy supply store (more even shaped). Don't use oil based clays to fill in un-even areas (it leaks through the leather).

Here are a few pictures of one of the sets I did, about 3/4 of the way done.

I'll post more pictures, or you can PM me if you're interested.....

From the land of Big Sticks,

Osulogger

osulogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2008, 09:12 PM   #8
osulogger
Tuna!

Ran upstairs and turned on the other computer with the pictures on it.... Here are some more showing the process and final project. Realized the pictures I posted before were about mid-way through the project.

Osulogger

Old 10-13-2008, 09:14 PM   #9
Joe
Sturgeon

Thanks OSU. Sounds like great advice on the taxidermy shapes.

What do you do to finish the edge where the leather meets the antlers? Craft glue the leather down??
Old 10-13-2008, 09:16 PM   #10
Joe
Sturgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by osulogger View Post
Ran upstairs and turned on the other computer with the pictures on it.... Here are some more showing the process and final project. Realized the pictures I posted before were about mid-way through the project.

Osulogger
Wow! That turned out really nice. I see you put another band of leather around the pedicle to finish it. Glued on?
Old 10-14-2008, 04:47 AM   #11
osulogger
Tuna!

Yes Joe, I glued the band on. When I stretched the leather out the first time to the shape, I stapled it to the back of the mount (I put a thin sheet of cardboard to do that). Then up near the bases I ran a bead of glue around it to hold it down. The guy I did them for was very happy with them, so I think they turned out okay.

Osulogger

Old 10-14-2008, 08:02 AM   #12
Big Unit
King Salmon

Here are a couple I did. Barn wood is fun to work with.

BU
Old 10-14-2008, 11:31 AM   #13
Joe
Sturgeon

That's really cool Big Unit, I love the uniqueness of the barn wood.

Thanks for all the info guys!