Kicker bracket info wanted. - www.ifish.net
The Oregonian's Bill Monroe!

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Community

Old 10-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #1
SteelDrifter
Steelhead

Default Kicker bracket info wanted.

Bought a older 19' Bayliner capri glass boat. Inboard/outboard. I would like to put a kicker motor on it. Looking for info on a reasonably priced bracket. Whats good and whats not. All info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Old 10-08-2008, 03:29 PM   #2
steelhead88
Steelhead

Default Re: Kicker bracket info wanted.

Garelick are good ones
steelhead88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2008, 03:57 PM   #3
Bloom
Tuna!

I have a 19'Arima and after having a failure of a brand-name bracket,I did some measuring and welded up a rigid bracket out of steel (mock-up). I used it for a full year before taking it to a local welding shop and had them duplicate it out of stainless.

It's been on the boat for three years and works great. No more springs, rods, elongated holes and other moving parts to deal with. I simply raise the kicker when I'm under way and deploy it when needed. Simple, cheap and effective.

Last edited by Bloom; 10-08-2008 at 04:00 PM.
Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 08:51 AM   #4
DonOR
Fry

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelDrifter View Post
Bought a older 19' Bayliner capri glass boat. Inboard/outboard. I would like to put a kicker motor on it. Looking for info on a reasonably priced bracket. Whats good and whats not. All info will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
For our "85" Bay Liner I welded up a box that acts as a outboard transom and also holds the 3 gal. gas tank, which is good because it keeps that gas outside the boat.

I looked at several brackets and with the various curvatures of the stern of our boat I figured this custom fit box would work best for us.

To design it I made a cardboard cutout sideview of the the motor and used that to position where I needed to be with the box. I have an extra long shaft motor and it worked out so that the propeller gets a full bite in the water. I also moved the ladder and platform assembly to the left side of boat because I wanted the motor on the starboard side.

Goodluck, Don
Old 10-09-2008, 02:44 PM   #5
edsr

Two problems stand out when considering a kicker bracket.

If your boat will take a solid mount and not drag when running that is the best way to go.

If you have to use a push down spring loaded bracket there aren't many options. Garelick makes several but beware - all guarantees are voided if the motor stays attached when trailering. Well dah!, who remounts the motor at 4 o'dark in the morning so it isn't on the trailer getting there?

What happens? The vibration from road bumps and the motor bouncing elongates the holes in the bracket, as was mentioned, and ya got a $170.00 repair bill.

I'm not sure if it is possible to trailer with the motor attached without damage but, I am trying again with a new bracket rigged with turnbuckles and a heavy duty strap to eliminate motor bounce. It will take a year or two to know if the experiment works.

It seems like there might be a market for niche product.

Good luck and let us know if you come up with a solution.
Old 10-09-2008, 03:52 PM   #6
Duckwheat
Tuna!

Garelick in my opinion are junk. Had a complete failure off shore with motor gone. JUNK, but I already said that.

I went with solid after that and have had no problems.

That's my opinion and sticking with it.

DW

Part time Motivational Team Leader and Life Coach.
Duckwheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:50 PM   #7
husker
Ifish Nate

i have a kicker bracket rated for a 30 horse......if your interested let me know
Old 10-10-2008, 04:09 AM   #8
Shaker-King
Steelhead

I had a 87 Capri that I put a Garelick bracket on, the bracket was rated for a four stroke. I had no issues with the bracket in the water or trailering. I did firmly secure it with a web belt for trailering. I do have pictures of the bracing I put in if your interested.
Old 10-10-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Twoshottom
Chromer

I had a bayliner capri with a Garelick bracket on it. My kicker motor was a 9.9 evinrude. If I was going to travel farther than to the Willow Grove boat launch I would travel with the motor in the back of the truck so the weight wasn't bouncing around on the back of the boat.

When I traveled with the kicker motor on the bracket I would use a rachet strap across the back of the boat to keep it from bouncing around. I never had any issues with the bracket.
Twoshottom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 02:58 PM   #10
The Overfishin Condition
Sturgeon

I have a Garelick bracket holding our 9.9 Merc 4-stroke. If I had to do it all again, and I might have to, I would for sure go fixed, or perhaps with an appropriately rated OMC bracket. I like what I have seen from them more than from the Garelick. It's a bouncy bracket, underway on the trailer, and the water. TOC.

www.promotionfishingproducts.com
The Overfishin Condition is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #11
smoltcatcher
Tuna!

i had i 86 bayliner capri. and i welded up a L shaped bracket with side supports and bolted it to the swim platform. had the boat for 8 years and never had a problem . i had a 7 horse evinrude. make shure your bolts on the swim platform are tight all the time. thanks greg.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:49 PM   #12
husker
Ifish Nate

Quote:
Originally Posted by husker View Post
i have a kicker bracket rated for a 30 horse......if your interested let me know

the 1 i have is more then strong enough.......