Do raccoons growl? - www.ifish.net

Go Back   www.ifish.net > Ifish Fishing and Hunting > Ifish Hunting

Old 09-21-2008, 07:28 PM   #1
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Default Do raccoons growl?

I know..stupid question, right? However, I'm trying to figure out what may have been growling at me the other morning. I was on the deck, still dark, and something started growling at me...was in a fir tree about 15 ft from the deck. Not too far up because it didn't take long to come down the tree and I saw the reflection of its eyes looking at me when I turned the porch light on but couldn't see anything more than that. I'm thinking it had to be a raccoon but didn't know they growled like that and I didn't think I was close enough to be a threat. It was a deeper growl than a housecat. We live about 3-4 miles east of Oregon City...kind of on the outer edge of "city". I'm asking you guys cause I know you know just about everything there is to know about wild animals. Now what would make a raccoon growl from that distance away? Sick? Rabid?

MsOutdrs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:35 PM   #2
Twitch
Sturgeon

Default Re: Do raccoons growl?

Yup, just ask my girlfriendWe were standing under our maple tree the other night and something made a nasty growl. She asked "what was that?" I said probably a raccoon or... "OR WHAT!!!" she replied! A BIG cat, and shined my light up into the tree

I looked back and she was gooooooone! I don't think her feet touched the ground on the way back to the house.
Old 09-21-2008, 07:38 PM   #3
triggerman
Steelhead

Shoot first, ask questions later!! Only kidding, It may have been a coon or possum, although Ive never really heard coons growl before! Or your neighbors dog climbs trees!!!

Triggerman
triggerman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2008, 07:40 PM   #4
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twitchs_Tackle View Post
Yup, just ask my girlfriendWe were standing under our maple tree the other night and something made a nasty growl. She asked "what was that?" I said probably a raccoon or... "OR WHAT!!!" she replied! A BIG cat, and shined my light up into the tree

I looked back and she was gooooooone! I don't think her feet touched the ground on the way back to the house.
That's funny...I gotta tell you, I got back next to the patio door just in case whatever it was decided it wanted breakfast!!! lol I knew it wasn't anything as big as a cougar although I sometimes wish one would cruise thru the neighborhood and pick off a few of the pesky neighborhood herd of deer.

I have seen raccoons at night passing by pretty close but have never heard one growl. Now, if you don't retreat, do they follow up the growl with anything? Like coming after you?

And thanks for the funny response!!! (I don't blame her..)
Old 09-21-2008, 08:46 PM   #5
Twitch
Sturgeon

The one I spoke of was a mother with a couple babies. She didn't come at us or anything, but she sure growled and spit and let us know she didn't appreciate us near her. We were probably 30' away and didn't know she was even there when she first started growling.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:16 AM   #6
MsOutdrs
King Salmon

Thanks to all who responded with great info. I appreciate it.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:02 PM   #7
STRUTTIN-1
Sturgeon

Not only do they growl they hiss.
STRUTTIN-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 PM   #8
raptorschild
Chromer

I'm not sure about growling, but they make a heck of a screaming noise after being riddled with .22 bullets.
raptorschild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 07:39 PM   #9
weirdbeard
Ifish Nate

I shot one with an arrow once it let out a growl like a Grizzle Bear
Old 09-23-2008, 07:43 PM   #10
OutdoorBum
Tuna!

I've heard a group of them growl before...they lived in a porch that was an entrance to a restaurant at a resort. They would curiously sniff everyone that walked by, and when no scraps were forthcoming and people stopped they would do the growling thing. Spoiled bandits!
"There is in every American, I think, something of the old Daniel Boone--who, when he would see the smoke from another chimney, felt himself too crowded and moved further out into the wilderness" Hubert H. Humphrey
OutdoorBum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:27 PM   #11
Jerkymaker
Steelhead

Yes! I have heard them growl!!!
We were messen around once and saw a big boar raccoon in our headlights, we could tell he was a boar because his raccoonicles were clearly visible. He/they was huge! maybe 40lbs? Anyway, I was gonna run up behind him and give him a friendly boot in the behind, impress my friends. I got about 10 feet from him and he spun on a dime, let out an incredibly loud deep Growl...and came after me. He was right on me when I made it back in the rig. He was growling the whole time he was chasing me.
Impressive animal

Hard work creates opportunity, opportunity creates success.
Jerkymaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2008, 08:54 PM   #12
Orion
Tuna!

Racoonicles?

"A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big
enough to take away everything you have" Thomas Jefferson
Orion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 07:33 AM   #13
jnicholson
Ifish Nate

They definately growl and hiss. The racoons that hang around our cabins do it all the time. They expect you to stay on the porch and toss them snacks at night. Step off the porch and and they'll growl at you.
Old 09-24-2008, 08:24 AM   #14
Threemuch
King Salmon

I have never heard one growl at me, but they growl and hiss at each other all the time. They pretty much brawl over food nonstop.
Threemuch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:38 AM   #15
bearmanric
Steelhead

yes they like to growl hiss and make a chatter noise. i have about 4 coon sound's on my foxpro and i make a openreed call that will make coon talk. they come in to coon talk and coon baby's especially coon fight's. there very aggessive.. wierd sound's if you dont know what they are. Rick
bearmanric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 08:49 AM   #16
sprigkiller09
Ifish Nate

YES, the growl

And i would guess a coon or a possum as well. Both can be nasty tempered even at 15 feet.

One night i was coming out of my tree stand and walking back to the truck. There is a low hanging branch over this section that i walk that is full of those italian prunes or plums. Well i was walking under it in the pitch black and about two feet from my head this thing lets out a nasty growl. I jumped about 15 ft and the poo was scared out of me. Now when you are within that close of a proximity of something that sounds that mean you think of the worst possible scenario (big cat, bear). i slowly backed away and in the moon light could make out a bunch of beady eyes. Turn on a flash light and there are four of em in there three half grown and the mom on the end.
sprigkiller09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2008, 09:57 AM   #17
Cosmic Lazy Susan
Tuna!

We were camped at Fort Stevens once and they have some rather aggressive raccoons there. I heard something prowling around and stepped out of the tent with a flashlight and came face to face with a huge GROWLING raccoon.

Seemed he was telling me night time was his time in the campground and I should just get back in my tent and no one would get hurt.